Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411558 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 10:08:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: GO HERE TO CONTRIBUTE
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: GO HERE TO CONTRIBUTE  (Read 91401 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 24, 2010, 05:26:53 PM »

It seems that lately sprite have seriously lagging behind. I have may self fail to contribute as i had plan previously because things kept pushing me away.

How about finding some solution to sped up the process?

I propose 3D rough sketch to animate and render and pixel art over it as a guide and adding proper style and fx. With 3D quick animation can be run and tried for all character by anybody, leaving proper pixel artist focusing on style and rendering.

Eagle0600
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 24, 2010, 10:00:59 PM »

Assuming we have a good 3D animator, it sounds good.
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: March 24, 2010, 10:33:24 PM »

Graphics are progressing slowly because of low participation (relative to the amount of work required, that is- some individuals have contributed an incredible amount of graphics), not because of poor technique.

I have a feeling like your suggested method would not speed up the process and could negatively impact the quality of the animations. Indie Brawl has a lively, cartoonish animation style; rotoscoping could easily result in bland animations.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 24, 2010, 11:22:47 PM »

i'm not saying that it's because of poor techniques.

And the idea also come from the fact some people are more prompt to correct animation that to do them from scratch. If we have enough basic material, it would be easier to start.

A lot of character animation in brawl did start sometimes with clunky animation, except to be wonderfully corrected after. The idea is to reproduce this step and appeal to "correction contribution".

Most time in art the difficulties reside in the start, not in the polish (you have already been caught up and have difficulties to actually stop). I was seeking a way to ease the start.

Is that a better way to look at it?

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #224 on: March 24, 2010, 11:33:20 PM »

I do agree the main thing stopping me from spriting is not knowing where to start. Some sort of reference would be helpful. However, I'm not sure if the effort required to do the 3D would pay off, and the 3D people might have the same problem of not knowing how to start.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: March 25, 2010, 06:07:58 AM »

Sorry about that post last night. It was late and I wasn't thinking completely clearly.

I understand the point you're getting at. But making 3D animations would require quite a bit of effort, for little gain.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: March 25, 2010, 10:48:51 AM »

Let me try it, one things preventing to contribute with pixel is the lack of mice (touchpad hell), the loss of scanner and the loss of graphic tablet. It's easier and quicker to do 3D right now for me, especially if it's just a rough form. But 3D animation is easier.

And i know where to start  Wink

But i still have to make room for time  Lips Sealed just wait and see

Contrary
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 01, 2010, 08:15:09 PM »

Hey has anyone tried using screen sharing for IB? They're doing that over at DataRealms now and they got the game running really smoothly.

I mean for ONLINE PLAY. Like, you send your imputs to a host, and they send you a stream of the game.

http://www.elluminate.com/
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 07:11:17 PM by Contrary » Logged
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #228 on: May 06, 2010, 09:05:59 PM »

It's an interesting idea. I don't know whether that would work with Game Maker, or whether it would be a better way to handle online play, but it's definitely something to keep in mind.

Contrary
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 06, 2010, 09:27:56 PM »

Its completely independent of the application. One person simply sends imputs to the other person's computer, and that person sends back a streaming video. Dunno how laggy it will be, though. We're still working out the kinks at DR.

I suspect IB will be easier than CC, as CC doesn't even run well single player on my computer.
Eagle0600
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 07, 2010, 03:42:15 AM »

Would it have to be streaming video? Wouldn't it be softer on downloads if you sent sprite position information instead?
Contrary
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 07, 2010, 09:38:57 AM »

Wouldn't that have to mess with the innards of IB? This method requires absolutely no effort on the part of the game programmer. This is completely independent of the application used in any way. This is normally used to share MS Word and stuff like that.

You literally grant the other person control over your computer (I've hijacked the other guy's side of the chat program on occasion) and they send you back a video. Right now we are using a different program than Eluminate, but it's much simpler so I think we should try that first, if we do this.
-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 07, 2010, 10:59:00 AM »

You literally grant the other person control over your computer (I've hijacked the other guy's side of the chat program on occasion)
My Word!
Can you see the problem?

They only think of me like an awesome ninja cat.
ink.inc
« Reply #233 on: May 07, 2010, 11:44:47 AM »

Tech support uses a similar program.
Eagle0600
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 07, 2010, 04:16:32 PM »

High-definition video streaming is a bit much for some people. While the other option does require more effort to get going, it would be more secure and would probably work better than a hacked-together system.
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 08, 2010, 01:28:46 AM »

Well, the "other option" you guys are talking about with "sending sprite positions" is pretty much exactly a regular online multiplayer mode. Just pointing that out, nothing more.

I personally also prefer a proper multiplayer implementation, but Contrary just proposed a quick and dirty way to get some online multiplayer going. People seem to prefer proper Multiplayer and thats cool (I do, too), but just making clear that the other way to achieve multiplayer is to code it  Noir
Contrary
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 08, 2010, 11:57:34 AM »

I kinda thought you guys would be more excited about this. I don't think Soulliard is planning on implementing proper online play anytime soon. We could literally set this up for both players in a matter of minutes.

So I guess no one is really interested...?
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #237 on: May 08, 2010, 12:21:38 PM »

In the long run, we should have proper online play. Chevy expressed interest in coding that, although he wanted to wait until more of the project was completed first.

If this is easy to set up in the mean time, then it might be a good substitute until proper online play is implemented.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 08, 2010, 05:44:46 PM »

I kinda thought you guys would be more excited about this. I don't think Soulliard is planning on implementing proper online play anytime soon. We could literally set this up for both players in a matter of minutes.

So I guess no one is really interested...?
If it's really that easy and quick, then yes I think it's a great idea. What do we need to do to set it up?

Contrary
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 09, 2010, 12:04:27 AM »

Everyone needs to download Eluminate. Someone will set up a room and hand you a link. You join and that person gives one other person command (there can also be spectators in the room).

FIGHT

We need to set up a time, though. If anyone's interested.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic