Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411589 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 07, 2024, 12:06:39 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFranchise: Soundtrack added
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Franchise: Soundtrack added  (Read 19270 times)
Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2011, 12:23:00 PM »

Once again, spent this week working on single player stages.  Almost halfway through the third of the four campaigns.

Also made a number of AI tweaks and bug fixes.  Other than that, not much different with this week's demo.

The usual download links:

Linux x86
Mac OS X (Intel only)
Windows

What would John Carmack do?
Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2011, 11:14:51 AM »

Still hacking away on single player stages and AI.  I have 17 stages left to create, and after that I need to do a ton of playtesting and AI tweaking.

This week, the AI learned how to use supply ducks to repair units.  I also was able to sneak in a few bug fixes and one new feature:  private chat.  You can now send chat messages to specific players during a game.

Linux x86
Mac OS X (Intel only)
Windows

Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2011, 07:52:37 PM »

I recently installed alpha 3 of Haiku, the open-source reimplementation of BeOS.  I think it's pretty nifty, and I'd like to start developing projects for it.

I took the first step toward that today by porting the Franchise configuration program.  Behold!

Now, there are some problems with Haiku support for Franchise.  Chiefly, Franchise is written in Ada, and the Ada components of GCC are not yet available for Haiku.  The configuration program and the map editor don't involve Ada, so I plan to port those programs now.

The game is mostly in Ada, but all of the OS front-end code is in a more convenient language for its platform, C on Linux and Windows, Objective-C on OS X.  I can write the Haiku front-end now, in expectation of GCC's Ada compiler eventually being ported.

The Haiku API is pretty snazzy, it's a decent C++ interface.  It's clearly from the earlier days of C++, since modern features like namespaces, templates, and exceptions are conspicuously absent.  It requires a lot more dynamic allocation than I prefer, since it relies heavily on self-destructing objects (delete this; ahoy!).  The interesting thing is that I spawned dozens of objects for this program, but because of the way the API works I didn't have to delete any of them, which is kind of neat.

The code for the Haiku configuration program will ship with next week's demo.  I really see no reason to provide Haiku binaries at this point, since there is no game.  Once the map editor has been ported, I may start providing a binary for that.

Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2011, 12:50:53 PM »

More single player work this week.  I have only 13 missions left to draw up, and a ton of testing to do on them.

The AI now knows how to build supply stations, as well as a bunch of other things that surround that capability.

For those interested, this download is the first to include the code for the Haiku config program, and also contains extremely early code from my Haiku port of the map editor.

Linux x86
Mac OS X (Intel only)
Windows

Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2011, 12:00:19 PM »

This week was more AI work, and at last the end is in sight!  Ten more single player stages to go.

I also started working on the Franchisopedia, a blatant knock-off of Civilization's Civilopedia.  For those unfamiliar with Civ, it will be a large help file of sorts.  I finished the basic functionality this week, but have yet to actually fill in all the text.

Linux x86
Mac OS X (Intel only)
Windows

Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2011, 12:11:14 PM »

This week I finished the last of the AI functions.  The AI now has all of its capabilities.  The individual parts still need a lot of improvement, but the functionality is all there.  I plan to start running overnight AI matches to test for serious bugs.

Linux x86
Mac OS X (Intel only)
Windows

Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2011, 11:19:48 AM »

More single player work, I'm very close to having all of the single player missions built, only 5 remain to be done.

Also got some AI bugs fixed and made some general interface improvements.

I created a new health/move indicator for the units, it's much less cluttered than the Done/Sleep labels I was using before.

Linux x86
Mac OS X (Intel only)
Windows

Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2011, 11:57:05 AM »

This week I finished designing the single player stages.  Now I have to enter a long period of testing and AI tweaking.

In more visible news, the hex drawing code has been completely converted to use 3D models.  Right now we just have some placeholder models in there, colored in a fashion that makes them distinguishable enough for play.

Hoping to get some better ones in place soon.

Linux x86
Mac OS X (Intel only)
Windows

Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2011, 10:53:14 AM »

I spent this whole week working on the Franchisopedia help database.  The writing is done, and I added a viewer for the various unit models and such.  At the moment, we only have placeholder hex models so those are the only ones that show up.

Linux x86
Mac OS X (Intel only)
Windows

Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2011, 11:36:40 AM »

I've spent the week working on a network host options window with a bunch of special options for managing network games.

It isn't complete yet, so if anybody is actually playing this game over a LAN or via my Internet server, I strongly suggest that you stay away from this window.

Linux x86
Mac OS X (Intel only)
Windows

Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2012, 01:11:57 PM »

The host window functionality is complete and mostly works for LAN games.  Internet games still need some work, and there are still some minor issues that need to be addressed in both cases.

Linux x86
Mac OS X (Intel only)
Windows

Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2012, 11:40:37 AM »

As of this week, the project is essentially at 'feature complete' status and I'm mostly working on stage testing, AI improvements, bug fixes, and graphics stuff.

My graphics guy has a whole bunch of new models coming down the pipeline, so hopefully this thing will stop looking like crap soon.

Linux x86
Mac OS X (Intel only)
Windows

Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2012, 01:03:44 PM »

We got some primitive resource models in place now, but the shaders aren't ready yet, so they're very difficult to discern.  Hopefully we can get them looking better this week.

Most importantly, the resource drawing system is completely in place now, so that's one less thing to worry about.

Also a number of minor bug fixes this week.  I've been playing through the single player campaigns and timing them.  I got through the first one in a little over 10 hours.  Since this is the campaign that I plan to release as the demo, I think this is a good number.  I can realistically estimate a total single player time of at least 40 hours.

Linux x86
Mac OS X (Intel only)
Windows

Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2012, 11:29:41 AM »

Not a lot to talk about this week apart from some bugfixes and new shortcut command, you can now issue a hold order to a unit by double-clicking it.

My graphics guy's computer died this week and he won't be getting a replacement until sometime next week at the earliest, so the modelling work has taken a slight setback.

Linux x86
Mac OS X (Intel only)
Windows

sabajt
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2012, 12:47:01 PM »

tried this out the other day.  it's an impressive project.  i like how you streamline the movement by autoselecting the next avaliable unit.  

one gripe i had was the readability of some of the features, specifically the potato mines.  on the first training mission i was confused for a few turns because i thought i had occupied all mines, but missed two becaues they were hard to notice. *edit* i see that you are currently working on overhauling the graphics 

Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2012, 10:56:38 AM »

i like how you streamline the movement by autoselecting the next avaliable unit.

That isn't actually what's going on, although it's hard to see it until you play a map with enemies on it.  All units go into a global initiative pool, there is a specific order that they move in.  If you've ever played any of the Shining Force games, it's the same idea.

one gripe i had was the readability of some of the features, specifically the potato mines.  on the first training mission i was confused for a few turns because i thought i had occupied all mines, but missed two becaues they were hard to notice. *edit* i see that you are currently working on overhauling the graphics

Yeah, the graphics are very much in flux right now.  We're concentrating on getting placeholders and all of the relevant code done, then prettying things up.

This week was really just more bug fixes and stage testing.  My graphics guy's computer is still down, so no advancement on that front.

Linux x86
Mac OS X (Intel only)
Windows

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2012, 12:59:18 AM »

Hand Money Right i wanted to buy this immediately based on the description alone! what is your concept for the unit art? im hoping to see some depraved yet brightly colored plasticy looking fast-food mascots or something, haha

Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2012, 01:42:07 PM »

Hand Money Right i wanted to buy this immediately based on the description alone! what is your concept for the unit art? im hoping to see some depraved yet brightly colored plasticy looking fast-food mascots or something, haha

I personally always envisioned things looking a lot like Tiberian Sun, but I don't really know at this point how they will end up.

Not much to report this week.  Still doing a test playthrough of all the single player maps, and fixing various AI issues along the way.

My graphics guy got his new computer, so hopefully I'll have something more interesting to post next week,

Linux x86
Mac OS X (Intel only)
Windows

Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2012, 11:40:21 AM »

Once again, very little visible progress this week.  I'm almost done with single player testing, and I've fixed a few AI and pathing bugs and did a little bit of interface improvement.

Linux x86
Mac OS X (Intel only)
Windows

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2012, 12:00:03 PM »

Seen this before on IRC, definitely one of the most unique and interesting concepts for a turn based tactics game I've ever seen.  Good luck finishing it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic