Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411616 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 10, 2024, 08:15:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHumblets - Fantasy city building game - New video! 31/07/2013
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: Humblets - Fantasy city building game - New video! 31/07/2013  (Read 51101 times)
Laitch
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2012, 01:09:22 PM »

Thanks, yeah, everything there is "created" by me. Ofcourse feel free to use it Wink
Nice now I just have to figure out what a Humblet should look like Smiley

I finished working on the pathfinding system and decided to make a short video showing it in action. I ended up doing more of a introduction type video showing some of the features that has currently been added... (with bugs Facepalm)

Anyway here it is, a video of me mumbling with my lovely Scandinavian accent... enjoy:

impulse9
« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2012, 03:49:59 PM »

Just dropping by to say that this project is fantastic. Keep up the awesome work.

Super Transport Dwarves Deluxe  Cheesy
Lol Smiley
Laitch
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2012, 10:08:40 AM »

Just dropping by to say that this project is fantastic. Keep up the awesome work.
Thanks!

I'm currently working on a day/night cycle for the game:

The day/night cycle itself works just fine, but I'm having a few problems with the lens flare. I'm currently using Unity's build in lens flare for the sun but the problem is that unity uses colliders to check if a flare is visible. Since I'm not using any colliders, the flares do not work out of the box for me.

I have tried a number of different things and so far the method I'm having most luck with is to cast a ray to see if there is a clear line of sight to the sun and then use that to manually either hide or show the flare. It's neither perfect nor very fast in it's current state, so I will have to look into how to improve it somehow.  Smiley
Laitch
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2012, 03:52:09 PM »

I uploaded a new video:

Hope you like it Smiley
elija
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2012, 11:34:53 PM »

Look pretty solid and interesting.
Laitch
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 31, 2012, 05:29:14 AM »

Look pretty solid and interesting.
Thanks Smiley

So I want to begin working on implementing some actual gameplay soon, but before I can do that I need more structures. So far I have been making 3d models through code, but in an attempt to save some time I have started working on a little side project where I can make the models through a graphical interface:

It's still very early in development but I already have quite a few features including creating/destroying faces, manipulating verticies/normals and UV coordinates, the texture space on the left is zoomable allowing for more precise placement of the UV coordinates... I have many more features that I want to add to this, the idea is that I should not only be able to make the 3d model in this program but I should also be able to set all information about the structure here, including price/storage space/input/output etc.
Laitch
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2013, 10:27:33 AM »

Here is a new video showing the latest changes to humblets:

tchassin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2013, 12:05:26 PM »

Pretty impressive editor, it looks fast and easy to use. A lot more than coding 3D models.  Wink
By the way, are those models final? I had somewhat ended up expecting more toonish models. Maybe I just played to much candy world in transport tycoon deluxe  Durr...?

Laitch
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2013, 08:12:42 AM »

Pretty impressive editor, it looks fast and easy to use. A lot more than coding 3D models.  Wink
By the way, are those models final? I had somewhat ended up expecting more toonish models. Maybe I just played to much candy world in transport tycoon deluxe  Durr...?

Thanks! I might change the models later, or maybe find somebody else to do them as I'm not really an artist, but this will be the final models for now since I want to start working on gameplay.

About a more toonish look; I did experiment with adding some outlines using some of unity's buildin post processing:

It sort of hides the lack of details but I don't really like the way it looks  
kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2013, 08:14:19 AM »

Why? I think it looks better than the original. Maybe try smoothing out that silhouette a bit? Or shrinking it?

And wow, you're still working on it Smiley

surt
Level 7

Meat by-product.

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 15, 2013, 12:49:50 PM »

You'd need to pump up the brightness of the textures to compensate for the darkening of the outlines and maintain contrast against them. I'd recommend also lightening the ambient level so you don't have black outlines against black shadows.

Real life would be so much better with permadeath.
PJ Gallery - OGA Gallery - CC0 Scraps
Laitch
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2013, 12:53:04 PM »

Why? I think it looks better than the original. Maybe try smoothing out that silhouette a bit? Or shrinking it?

And wow, you're still working on it Smiley

Yep, I'm still working on this Smiley
I don't really know why I prefer it without the outline... I guess it looks cleaner?... Unfortunately I can't change the thickness or smoothness of the outline Sad

I don't feel strongly either for or against it, so I will go with the one you guys prefer. Here is a picture of the same scene with and without the outline... Tell me what you think guys, which one is better?

You'd need to pump up the brightness of the textures to compensate for the darkening of the outlines and maintain contrast against them. I'd recommend also lightening the ambient level so you don't have black outlines against black shadows.

I will try that thanks Smiley
kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2013, 12:54:52 PM »

Ouch, unfortunately that outline is way too thick. If you wish to have one, you must shrink it. Otherwise, clean one looks pretty cool anyway.

tchassin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2013, 03:11:13 PM »

Don't agonize over it, the game looks good anyway. Keep working on your project, you can adjust the graphics anytime. Moreover, as the content increase, the game will get more visual variety and look better. And someone may also offer to help you as a 3D artist, who knows.  Shrug
But I must agree that the outline is a bit thick.

Laitch
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2013, 10:14:19 AM »

Ouch, unfortunately that outline is way too thick. If you wish to have one, you must shrink it. Otherwise, clean one looks pretty cool anyway.
Yeah thats what I'm thinking... would love to hear more opinions though Smiley

Don't agonize over it, the game looks good anyway. Keep working on your project, you can adjust the graphics anytime. Moreover, as the content increase, the game will get more visual variety and look better. And someone may also offer to help you as a 3D artist, who knows.  Shrug
But I must agree that the outline is a bit thick.
I'm not really agonizing over it, it's just since it was brought up I thought I would ask you guys Wink... besides it only takes a couple of seconds to turn the effect on or off Smiley

I created a town hall/storage kind of building:

I have also started implementing some actual gameplay. At the moment I have 4 "functional" buildings in the game. A lumberjack's hut that produces wood logs, a sawmill that takes wood logs as input and produces wood planks, a windmill that produces bread and finally a town hall that functions as storage as illustrated below:

It's beginning to fell more like a game now! Smiley
tchassin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: March 20, 2013, 10:22:34 AM »

Ah, that's one of the best moment when you make a game. Cheers  Beer!

Laitch
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 22, 2013, 09:03:26 AM »

@tchassin - It really is Beer!

Humblets hard at work:
Laitch
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 31, 2013, 03:16:49 AM »

Hi all!
Yes this project is very much not dead! New video here:
In the video above I show a few functional buildings in the game.

I have lately been working on making the game moddable, so that players can make their own buildings. Basically each building has an XML file that holds information about the building such as name, cost, size etc., and a dll file that holds the code for the building. I considered (and tested) using lua but ultimately decided on dlls written in C# as it's faster and opens up for more possibilities for the modders. The downside is that it's not as secure as lua.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 01:37:49 PM by Laitch » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic