Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411558 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 11:49:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallProject Maiden - A Zeldalike In Reverse
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Project Maiden - A Zeldalike In Reverse  (Read 940 times)
RealKevinCole
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: July 16, 2013, 01:12:24 PM »

Hey TIGpeople,

I'm making a game called Project Maiden that's like Zelda except you start with all (or most) of the powers and abilities in the game and each level a specific power is examined, exploited and then lost forever.

Instead of artificially increasing the player's avatar strength the player learns how to use the basic mechanics of the game in skillful and creative ways and ultimately faces the final boss as just a dude.

We've also got:
  • A female protagonist that is compelling and relevant
  • A combat system heavily inspired by both "The Princess Bride" and "Dark Souls"
  • A narrative that isn't interrupted when you die

I've got a small team supporting me but I'm doing all the programming, design, story, pixel art, and animation by myself. I have cool people helping me out with the soundtrack including Joe Kenneally, Math the Band, and the Doubleclicks.

Also I'm releasing the game for free.

If any of that sounded at least a little intriguing, please consider checking out my Kickstarter:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1507109559/project-maiden

We're already halfway through the campaign, but I'm adding new stuff every week and trying to stay relevant and interesting.

TIGSource has been an enormous help during the first few months of Project Maiden's development and I've been lurking in these forums for years. Please let me know what you think of the game and if you really like what we're doing, consider donating or spreading the word!

Thanks so much!

-Kevin Cole
Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 01:16:41 PM »

I like that idea, good luck  Beer!

Check out my amateur blog in Greek or English.
EtiennePerin
Level 0

Muscle !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 06:07:09 AM »

Ha ha the idea is nice, hope it won't be too "frustrating". But if it's a way to add difficulty to the game it can be intersting.

RealKevinCole
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 06:39:23 AM »

I like that idea, good luck  Beer!

Thanks, man!  Beer!

Ha ha the idea is nice, hope it won't be too "frustrating". But if it's a way to add difficulty to the game it can be intersting.

I think the remedy to that frustration comes down to providing the player with enough options and staying away from too many "do it again" punishments. You are right though, the game was inspired by challenge runs and  much of my polish will be going towards making it unexclusive (or just less frustrating) but still challenging.

Design for the hardcore, right?
http://makegames.tumblr.com/post/681893596/design-for-the-hardcore
EtiennePerin
Level 0

Muscle !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 01:11:46 AM »

Yes designing for the hardcore is the best option, that's exactly what I'm doing on my own games. I didn't knew people had made a "rule" of that, but I'm agree. Smiley

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic