Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411590 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 07, 2024, 03:48:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsProcedural GenerationDyson [FINISHED] [website launched!]
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: Dyson [FINISHED] [website launched!]  (Read 127590 times)
Trance Blossom
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 05, 2008, 10:29:17 AM »

Hi, I'm also having similar crash problems...after a few minutes of gameplay it says the program encountered an error and crashes.

I uninstalled and reinstalled .NET but that didn't help, I even tried installing the original and adding the patch (I downloaded 1.01 originally) but that didn't work either.

EDIT: I've had the game crash with only 1 AI on screen though.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 10:31:55 AM by Trance Blossom » Logged
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: June 05, 2008, 01:01:44 PM »

Second patch is up, this *might* fix a few more crash bugs. Haven't had time for a bugtesting version yet.

Henceforth the original link will contain the latest version of the game. Latest patches will also go up.

FULL GAME

LATEST PATCH

Patch will bring any previous version up to date.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 05, 2008, 02:28:11 PM »

Argh, the game just crashed for me after I installed the patch. It hadn't happened before until now. I was basically playing (defending against attacks from blue and yellow) and it crashed. My system is a Pentium 4 2.4Ghz 512MB RAM with NVidia GeForce4 MX 4000 and Windows XP Professional SP2.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Matthew
Rapture
Administrator
Level 3

Milling About

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: June 05, 2008, 03:55:07 PM »

Just played it here.  Meant to try it out while sipping a smoothie, but kept playing until I won.  Great job all around!

Matthew Wegner
Currently: Aztez
Founder, Flashbang Studios
Partner, Indie Fund
Editor, Fun-Motion
Co-Chair, IGF
FARTRON
Level 4

the last man in space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: June 05, 2008, 07:57:49 PM »

Not working under XP x64.

Everything that was once directly lived has receded into a representation. - debord
zradick
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: June 05, 2008, 08:31:49 PM »

I love the minimalist cell style art!  And the zoom on the cursor is a great method for control.  I was a bit confused initially about "seedlings" (I thought they were flies waiting to eat my trees), but once that passed I was able to make some progress.
A game with some substance to it.  Fantastic.
--Zack
Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: June 05, 2008, 11:46:04 PM »

Argh, the game just crashed for me after I installed the patch. It hadn't happened before until now. I was basically playing (defending against attacks from blue and yellow) and it crashed. My system is a Pentium 4 2.4Ghz 512MB RAM with NVidia GeForce4 MX 4000 and Windows XP Professional SP2.

Hi Melly and other crash victims, I think I squashed another crash bug today, the latest patch should bring you up to v1.03. Sorry about that, I will try and find more.

Not working under XP x64.

I have attempted to create a x86-based version that should work on 64-bit operating systems. Please give the latest patch a go and see if that fixes the problem.

http://www.deadrock-game.com/files/Dyson-patch.rar

Cheers!

FARTRON
Level 4

the last man in space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: June 06, 2008, 01:57:10 PM »

That patch worked! Please share your secrets with Bezzy, as the crash in K2 seemed similar.

Everything that was once directly lived has receded into a representation. - debord
Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: June 06, 2008, 02:36:28 PM »

OK, I'll write it here for posterity anyway:

In Visual Studio 2008 Express you need to change the target in the configuration manager from Any CPU to an x86 target, which you can create as a new target.

In Visual Studio 2005 Express you need to hackinate the project file.

< I found a workaround, when
Submitted by flatus on August 31, 2007 - 2:40pm.

<
I found a workaround, when i was trying to get a old fortran dll to work. I wrote myself a note about it:

So, compiling a program on a 64 bit os that uses a 32-bit dll will cause the program to crash with a 'BadImageFormatException' exception when calling the procedure in the DLL. The full version of visual studio.net 2005 has a feature in the IDE to direct the compiler to build for a particular CPU (i.e. Project Properties -> Compile Tab -> Advanced Options > and set the Target CPU to x86). However it is possible to set this in the Express editions, but it requires editing the project file.

The project file (.vbproj for visual basic) is an XML file, which can be edited with any text editor, such as notepad. It has two sections that need to be changed, one for debug and one for release. Insert the following line into both of these sections and the dll should now work. <PlatformTarget>x86</PlatformTarget>
Here are those sections with the lines added:

</PropertyGroup>
<PropertyGroup Condition=" '$(Configuration)|$(Platform)' == 'Debug|AnyCPU' ">
<DebugSymbols>true</DebugSymbols>
<DebugType>full</DebugType>
<DefineDebug>true</DefineDebug>
<DefineTrace>true</DefineTrace>
<OutputPath>bin\Debug\</OutputPath>
<PlatformTarget>x86</PlatformTarget>
<DocumentationFile>AnotherFri_Dll.xml</DocumentationFile>
<NoWarn>
</NoWarn>
<WarningsAsErrors>41999,42016,42017,42018,42019,42020,42021,42022,42032,42036</WarningsAsErrors>

</PropertyGroup>
<PropertyGroup Condition=" '$(Configuration)|$(Platform)' == 'Release|AnyCPU' ">
<DebugType>pdbonly</DebugType>
<DefineDebug>false</DefineDebug>
<DefineTrace>true</DefineTrace>
<Optimize>true</Optimize>
<OutputPath>bin\Release\</OutputPath>
<DocumentationFile>AnotherFri_Dll.xml</DocumentationFile>
<PlatformTarget>x86</PlatformTarget>
<NoWarn>
</NoWarn>
<WarningsAsErrors>41999,42016,42017,42018,42019,42020,42021,42022,42032,42036</WarningsAsErrors>
</PropertyGroup>

In full versions of VS 2005 or 2008 this should be readily available.

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 06, 2008, 05:31:22 PM »

We found a bug. Now, I know a simple fix to this bug would be to stop being a twit, but I thought I should tell you anyway.

When click-dragging (either left or right click) to command my seedlings, if I press the other mouse button (because I forget I'm not using the "SEND" command) the game freezes and crashes. Simple as that. Irritating at the whole Empire stage in the game.

So, uh, yeah. Game's still awesome.
Snake
Pixelhead
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: June 06, 2008, 05:44:01 PM »

I waisted hours on this sucker. Enjoyable and a nice learning curve.

Not much critique to offer since most of it's been mentioned. Would be interesting to see some different kinds of seeds. Speedy but weak to get defences up quickly and colonise. Big and slow ones for attacks. Nearing the end of the game, I was more and more wishing for the seed selection to count up faster. I could loose planets by the time I managed to select anything to defend it with, but it's a nitpick really.

Very grand sir. Very grand.

McAndrews
« Reply #111 on: June 06, 2008, 08:11:11 PM »

This game has made me pay much more attention to the competitions on TIG.  I think the progression/learning curve of the game is perfect, and am very happy it only took me about four or five games to get the winning strategy down.  I can't wait to see the other types of trees, and how the game develops further.  I do have to say in criticism, I don't believe the three way division of the asteroids strengths have impact on the game as it is now.  Maybe they influence my expansion ideas very early on, but I only delay taking a planet for a few minutes at most because of its strengths.    If there was only one characteristic of a planet however, for example, just having a asteroid produce quick spores, or just strong and slow spores, or strong defensive spores, it could impact the game play at its current developed lever a bit further. Congratulations on producing a great game in such a short time!  I know I will play the game again, I feel the different arrangement of asteroids at the start gives the game some good replay value.  The feeling of being surrounded by neutral grays on nearly all sides when you start is a great suspenseful atmosphere.
Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: June 07, 2008, 01:19:02 AM »

We found a bug. Now, I know a simple fix to this bug would be to stop being a twit, but I thought I should tell you anyway.

When click-dragging (either left or right click) to command my seedlings, if I press the other mouse button (because I forget I'm not using the "SEND" command) the game freezes and crashes. Simple as that. Irritating at the whole Empire stage in the game.

So, uh, yeah. Game's still awesome.

Thanks Gainsworthy, which version were you playing? I haven't been able to reproduce this bug in v1.03. Is it reproducible at the start of the game or only later in the game?

Rudolf Kremers
Level 1

Grow!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: June 07, 2008, 03:26:00 AM »

This game has made me pay much more attention to the competitions on TIG.  I think the progression/learning curve of the game is perfect, and am very happy it only took me about four or five games to get the winning strategy down.  I can't wait to see the other types of trees, and how the game develops further.  I do have to say in criticism, I don't believe the three way division of the asteroids strengths have impact on the game as it is now.  Maybe they influence my expansion ideas very early on, but I only delay taking a planet for a few minutes at most because of its strengths.    If there was only one characteristic of a planet however, for example, just having a asteroid produce quick spores, or just strong and slow spores, or strong defensive spores, it could impact the game play at its current developed lever a bit further. Congratulations on producing a great game in such a short time!  I know I will play the game again, I feel the different arrangement of asteroids at the start gives the game some good replay value.  The feeling of being surrounded by neutral grays on nearly all sides when you start is a great suspenseful atmosphere.

Thsnks so much. Tbh I am blown away but the fantastic feedback we are getting especially because we realy had to focus on what we had after dropping some important aspect from the over-ambitious design. As has been noticed, we also wanted the game to be impacted more by the differning asteroid compositions, and that WILL make it into the game, hopefully soon. Additionally we wanted to include defensive units and that should help as well. We are current;y collating all feedback and looking at the original deign and then decide what the next steps will be :-)

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 07, 2008, 05:10:02 AM »

This game was so awesome, even though I got totally overrun by those godless blue astrochickens. I wish there was a save game option because the game goes for ages.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 07, 2008, 10:39:34 AM »

Some suggestion you guys could take into account for future post-compo versions:

1- The ability to have trees both of the 'factory' type, puducing seedlings, or of the 'tower' type, which do not produce seedlings but maybe fire lasers of powerful guided kamikaze seeds. The tower trees could even have the added ability of attacking enemy seedlings moving around the asteroid to another location, which is something normal seedlings can't do. You'd basically trade seedling production for the ability to better defend your territory.

2- One of the most nifty things is how new seeded trees burrow a channel into the asteroid. Perhaps you could add something like that to the gameplay, maybe some kind of structure or chamber built within asteroids serving some kind of purpose.

3- Maybe have old enough trees grow to the point of reaching neighboring asteroids and perhaps intertwine with other trees creating a channel. Not only it's look nifty but gameplay-wise that could mean that both asteroids are now treated as one as enemy seedlings attacking would trigger defenders from all connected asteroids. Could lead to interesting-looking 'fortress' asteroids.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
l0ser
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 07, 2008, 11:03:17 AM »

This game is ftw.
McAndrews
« Reply #117 on: June 07, 2008, 01:46:04 PM »

I have to second Melly's idea of having different tree types.
Some suggestion you guys could take into account for future post-compo versions:

1- The ability to have trees both of the 'factory' type, puducing seedlings, or of the 'tower' type, which do not produce seedlings but maybe fire lasers of powerful guided kamikaze seeds. The tower trees could even have the added ability of attacking enemy seedlings moving around the asteroid to another location, which is something normal seedlings can't do. You'd basically trade seedling production for the ability to better defend your territory.
When you grow a tree now, you just click the button as many times as you could.  It you made the player make a choice to spawn a defensive tree (perhaps the kamikaze idea, or maybe just produce strong spores), or an offensive tree (that spawns fighter spores).  You could even map the tree selection to the scroll wheel, and keep the simple controls. 
But dare I say this, perhaps the trees could be your own unique color?
qwertywraith
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 07, 2008, 03:08:54 PM »

I really like this game. I've played it a lot and have really wanted to give you some feedback. It has a ton of potential. My criticism below is meant to be constructive because I believe in this project.

First off, bugs  Angry in 1.02:

Attacking an enemy asteroid, my army of seedlings failed to take it over. They just kept ramming the ground attempting to get into the hole and take over. The asteroid read as though there was one tree left, though there was not.

In the late game, moving many armies causes the game to lose commands. I would order a few dozen swarms of seedlings to move, but they would not all receive the orders. Evidently, there is a limit to the number of commands the game can process.

I was expanding clockwise around the belt. I selected a huge number of seedlings and sent them to the next asteroid, but they proceeded to go the OPPOSITE direction. Evidently, there was a gap that was too large for them to cross. So instead of fighting on an "O" shaped asteroid belt, I was really fighting on a "C" shaped belt. Either the random asteroid placement should always ensure an unbroken circle, or the asteroids should have an aura around them indicating their "atmosphere" where seedlings can travel.

The "Plant Tree" button does not register a click if you click near the edge. As it also closes the asteroid information window, it is highly annoying.

Smiley Interface/Display

The game looks great. The three properties of the asteroids should be explained somewhere besides the tutorial. Also, the asteroid information window (where it displays the amount of seedlings, etc) should indicate how many trees are on the asteroid.

When playing as red seedlings, it is difficult to tell when one of your asteroids is under attack when zoomed all the way out. I also came up against two purple opponents; their colours were nearly indistinguishable.

:D AI/Challenge

Most of the challenge is in the early stages of the game. I found that about 2/3 games I started right next to an enemy. This is a problem. Random placement should place each starting asteroid at least 2 asteroids apart.

All too often I would also be suicidally attacked by an enemy over and over, until another one came along and killed me. Computer opponents appear to always know where I am.

In other cases AI opponents sent swarms after asteroids in the middle of my empire without apparent reason. They would become obsessed with particular asteroids. There appears to be no strategy here.

On the topic of strategy, there is no geographical advantage to controlling any particular asteroid over another, save for proximity.

Scouting allows you to forever see what forces are located on an enemy asteroid. Perhaps it could simply colour the asteroid the colour of the opponent, and indicate how many trees the seedling saw before it died.

It would be nice to have the option to change the size of the asteroid belt. So you could play a much quicker game on a small asteroid belt, or a huge game on a belt 10 asteroids wide.

Shocked Pacing

This is the biggest problem with this game. The early game is painfully slow. Obviously it should be, but it should still be sped up. Similarly, the late game is far too easy and impossible to micro-manage everything. For the most part I spend the late game sending 32 seedlings per asteroid to one rallying point and then bowling over my enemies without any real resistance. Even the constant attacks against random asteroids in my territory are of no consequence because the AI never sends enough, or if they do I have tons of seedlings nearby to take it back.

I think the solution here is to lower the amount of seedlings you will control in the later stages of the game, while speeding production in the early stages. Perhaps your home asteroid could be particularly fertile (as would enemy home asteroids).

Kiss Game features

As is the game doesn't have much strategy besides early expansion, but there is so much you could do to improve this game:

- Asteroid properties.

Size would be a simple property to implement. Larger asteroids are physically larger, and capable of having more trees and growing more seedlings. They are obviously more valuable and harder to colonize. Smaller asteroids would also be possible and interesting.

The current asteroid qualities do not have enough impact on the game because micromanaging the seedlings is impossible. As such asteroid properties might be better applying to trees and seedling production. So you could have an asteroid that is more fertile being more valuable, because it speeds production. You could have a rock to soil ratio, where more rocky asteroids cost more seedlings to make trees, but the trees are harder to destroy.

- Geography

Currently the ring shaped belt is interesting, but has no meaning when seedlings can travel wherever they want without trouble (unless, as I indicated above) there is a large gap. Besides the time it takes to get somewhere, there are no limitations on movement, and no reason to control or attack any particular asteroid. Geography should play a larger role and can in several ways:

Range of seedlings. Seedlings can only travel to nearby asteroids. This would prevent early game rushes by enemy AI (assuming you ensure that they are not randomly placed adjacent to you). This makes expansion slower, and territory control more essential, but it adds an element of strategy. You could also implement trees that allow you to send seedlings further. The idea of trees growing and snaring other asteroids is also compelling.

Moving asteroids. Considering range as a property of the seedlings, I would LOVE it if the asteroids moved relative to each other. The belt as a whole could drift in one direction, but some asteroids would be faster than others. You could eliminate collisions (the asteroids have some form of repulsive property). Smaller asteroids would move further to avoid larger asteroids, which would in turn move a small distance out of the way. In this game, choosing how to expand is complicated by the movement of your territory, and fast asteroids are useful for spreading over larger distances, but they would also be subject to attack from enemies more often as they move into their territory.

- New trees

There are many options. Defensive is the most obvious, though coupled with geographical changes range-boosting trees, or trees that grow asteroids together would be very interesting. At the very least defensive trees could attack moving swarms of seedlings passing by your territory (assuming seedlings have no limit on how far they can travel).

Gentleman

I look forward to seeing whatever you do with this game. I've really enjoyed it so far, and hope you continue to work on it.
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: June 07, 2008, 04:26:33 PM »

I'm really looking forward to giving this a proper go, first impressions are: Shocked 

Very slick indeed, the interface is smooth and sexy, the colour-palette and overall feel are calming.

Will have to catch up with you on the next London meet-up, Haowan-san!

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic