Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411670 Posts in 69397 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: homina

May 16, 2024, 12:25:45 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Drawing Forced Perspectives
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Drawing Forced Perspectives  (Read 1416 times)
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« on: March 29, 2011, 11:46:50 PM »

It's not nearly as easy as Street Fighter Alpha 3 would have you believe! Those of you who do these - do you start front to back? And how do you keep everything looking... "right?" o.O Currently attempting (albeit badly) to do a groupshot of characters, closer ones with more FP, further ones more side-view; maybe a couple of silhouettes in the far BG. Those FP's are killing me, though!

jwk5
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 01:10:49 AM »

Ask and ye shall receive.
Triplefox
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 02:00:36 AM »

I made a breakthrough on my figure drawing techniques recently, after a decade or so of failing in various ways. So here's how I approach it now:

1. Before starting any outlines or mannequins, box each character in a flat polygon of any shape - no perspective yet - describing the outer limits of all their limbs. This polygon describes - in a rough way - pose, proportion and composition. With multiple characters it also ensures that they are posed correctly relative each other, even with complex interactions. I add additional lines and polygons inside to spot gestures, negative space and more details of proportion, especially head-body-legs ratios. (Before I used this technique, I always ended up with severe distortion and proportioning problems, tilted stances, etc. Now I don't even know exactly what pose I'll draw when I start, but it comes out looking pretty solid anyway.)

2. Adjust the simple polygon for perspective. At this point I would foreshorten and make some more simple shapes to get the exaggerated things right. I might add perspective lines to motivative rotations to the mannequin's parts later.

3. Draw the mannequin. Here I get another chance to correct perspective; because I already have well-positioned borders at this point, they become the anchors of various parts of the mannequin - shoulders, elbows, and feet are the typical anchors since they usually project into a border. Rotations and positions are already suggested by the anchors, and the rest of the figure can be adjusted to fit, thus the result usually looks correct even with wild proportions.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic