Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411586 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 07:21:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsUntitled Dwarf Fortress/Villager Sim Game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Untitled Dwarf Fortress/Villager Sim Game  (Read 3910 times)
Kurt
Level 5

View Profile
« on: March 12, 2012, 05:12:24 PM »

Going to try and combine Dwarf Fortress (graphics-wise) and make some sort of villager sim game with focus on interactivity between the player and the villagers.

Day 1 (of actual progress)

Had a crude world design all generated in one void (didn't go too well.)

Tweaked it a bit...

And a bit more.

Tomorrow I work on town borders and then houses for villagers to live in. Maybe a small ocean too.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 05:41:34 PM by kurtss » Logged

Kurt
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 05:47:32 PM »

Day 2

Didn't have a lot of time to work on this, but I made tiles have a darker background to make them look interesting. Also made it so the player will be able to place tiles in the near future, and grass generates nicer. Also, placeholder title bar with a mockup name of "Placeville".

« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 08:35:33 AM by kurtss » Logged

Danmark
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 01:14:36 PM »

villager sim game with focus on interactivity between the player and the villagers.

Can you expand on that?

How are you going to achieve meaningful, dynamic interaction with characters? It's barely ever done adequately in games that attempt it.
Kurt
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 07:00:05 PM »

villager sim game with focus on interactivity between the player and the villagers.

Can you expand on that?

How are you going to achieve meaningful, dynamic interaction with characters? It's barely ever done adequately in games that attempt it.

Each villager will have 5 traits and will influence conversations. They will also do tasks throughout the day, have conversations with others, come over your house, invite you over, etc. Haven't gotten to that point yet, but I'll figure it out once I get there.

Day 3

Fixed my rendering problem by adding areas that the camera will scroll to. Also, more trees and houses.

Area 0, 0 of the town.

Area 1, 0 of the town.

Kurt
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 09:13:42 PM »

Day 4

Got a quick credit screen at the beginning put in place.

Also got collision, very basic AI, villagers, houses, tile data (both ints and strings), and tile updating put in place.

The fences around the border are also fully generated due to tile data being in place. Each villager has a "name" (these are not final, I promise) that are linked to their houses they're generated at. The houses also have their coordinates saved to the villagers as well, just to be safe.

Good work done today, feeling confident that I can do something with this game. Grin
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 09:03:56 PM by kurtss » Logged

Kurt
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 09:03:35 PM »

Day 5

I literally worked on this all day.

A menu screen.

Tomorrow I'll be playing D&D so I probably won't be working on this as much.

Kurt
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 05:58:03 PM »

Days 5 & 6

Day 5, I changed the font to be 8x12, which broke some things. I fixed them which is good.

Also added tile placing, and fish (seen in the upper left corner).

Stupid inventory GUI, obviously going to be changed.

Kurt
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 06:58:46 PM »

Day 9

My engine is starting to bother me, so starting tomorrow I'll be changing my code and transferring it to sdljava and the Jade roguelike engine. Hopefully this will make things a lot easier, since most classes I wrote are implemented in Jade, which also features pathfinding and raytracing. Smiley

stef1a
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 07:01:49 PM »

Very cool. Always respecting another roguelike developer.  Wink
Kurt
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 05:33:25 PM »

Very cool. Always respecting another roguelike developer.  Wink

Thank you!

Day 11

Screw the engine changing, if I want to make this game I'll make my own engine. And I did.

I spent most of last night and some of today reworking entities, which are now stored in arrays. This also allowed for entity collision. I now have item entities that will give you items.

Put your cursor over a tile (ex. a tree).

Press space and it drops an item.

You now have an item!

Also here is my "pathfinding".

Yay if statements!

tsameti
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 08:50:41 AM »

I should keep track of this, I have always loved this genre (regardless of the fact it barely exists) and have been talking about how a title might be realized.

If you want to give your player a goal, a quick and dirty one would be that you have a timed event or disaster that you have to prepare the villagers to survive.

Am I correct in understanding that the way the player interacts with the NPCs is by controlling their own character and issuing requests to villagers?

Current
Poikolos

Permanently on Hiatus
Son, Stranger
Kurt
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 06:58:04 PM »

Not sure I wanna go in the holy-shit-you're-going-to-die direction, but disasters could happen.

You are correct, but NPCs will also do stuff on their own.

Kurt
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 10:35:09 PM »

Day 35

Man, a month into development and I'm still lazy.  Embarrassed

Bob shares a conversation about his rumpus.

You'll have good, bad, and neutral responses to conversations. A bad example is walking away or saying something rude.

Tools! You can break things with certain tools. I don't like this graphical direction due to the fact you can't tell what tool is which. The tools are axe and shovel, and then a stack of wood.

Kurt
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 05:52:59 PM »

Day 36

It has lazy art! But I'm going to be adding graphics because not having them was a little confusing.

stef1a
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 05:48:49 PM »

Please continue. I like what you've done with a very minimalistic art style.
Kurt
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2012, 10:45:59 PM »

Please continue. I like what you've done with a very minimalistic art style.

Thank you, I'll probably get the art changed at some point.

Day 39

Nothing to show. Added currency and structures, also made it so I can implement light whenever I learn ray tracing. Tomorrow is areas updating while you're not gone and maybe trying to fix my AI that I've spent hours on. Crazy

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic