Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411586 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 06:26:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBUREAU
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: BUREAU  (Read 1056 times)
Jason Bakker
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: April 15, 2012, 06:33:01 AM »

Wizard

Hey there TIGSource!

It's been a while - my last devlog fell into the zone of neglect a couple years ago, along with the project a few months later. I've been tinkering on stuff since then though, and thought I'd share the latest thing I'm working on!

BUREAU is kind of similar to Civ, but with an tight focus on individual characters. You're the leader of an secret society of magi in medieval France, and your task is to grow the Order as you see fit, while keeping out of the crosshairs of the Church, whose Knight Templars are completely immune to magic.

I've got several ideas for which direction to take it actually, and that describes one of them. I'm trying to focus on core gameplay and prototyping first, and then grow the game from there.

The gameplay will be management focused, as you train up apprentices into fully fledged magi, assign tasks to your magi (like enchantment, research or information gathering), and react to events like dragon attacks, rogue magi or plagues.

Visually it'll be pretty abstracted, the idea being that the game gives you just enough information for your imagination to fill in the blanks. It won't be completely text-based, but will probably be pretty text heavy. This is partly because I feel like that's an interesting avenue for development, and partly to avoid having to make heaps of art.

I'm making it in OpenTK using C#, which means that I should theoretically be able to build it to PC, Mac and Linux, although so far I've only got a working PC build.

Where I'm at at the moment:

(Fullsize here)

I've got the map working, and you can command the magi to go to different locations, and then hit the End Turn button (that weird square in the bottom right corner) to make them go there. Next up I think I've got to get some kind of "information card" working so that you can click on a magus and get their information. I also realised today that I haven't actually planned out the system of magic, so I spent a bit of time on that, but will probably need to spend some more.

I'm working on this in my spare time, so no idea how long until I've got a playable build somewhere... it's a project I started as a pure hobby/fun thing, but I am starting to get the feeling that I miiight actually be able to get it to the point that it'll be playable.

It is pretty experimental, and there are a definitely a few obstacles that I'm going to hit - I still don't really know what you're going to be spending most of your time actually doing in the game, or what the flow is going to be like. It's been fun so far though Smiley
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 08:10:55 AM by Jason Bakker » Logged

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 07:14:20 AM »

I like the visual style. Good luck with this! Smiley
Jason Bakker
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 04:58:22 PM »

Thanks! I'm a bit worried that screenshots are going to look too sparse and empty, as opposed to "minimal" (which is kind of the ideal). That said, after a few of the core gameplay elements are added, screenshots will probably have a bit more meat to them.

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 04:59:36 PM »

Personally, I think it looks fine. Simple can be a good thing. Smiley The style is great.

EDIT: Though I must admit, before reading, I spent a few seconds wondering what the "odd arrow with orbs at each vertex" was.

Jason Bakker
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 05:05:16 PM »

Haha yeah, that icon is definitely going to get replaced Wink It's great news to hear the style in general is working though Smiley

Jason Bakker
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 08:46:42 PM »

Oh, I forgot to post

- it's not really a gameplay video, just a clip of a funny bug in the game that also illustrates the method of graphics display I'm using.

I'm loading up all of my graphics in vector format, which allows me to play around with the paths of the images in a much more comprehensive way than if they were just sprites.

I'm not really using this functionality anywhere near its full potential yet, but I feel like it'll give me a lot of mileage in the future.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic