Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411582 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 03:17:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMana Farm: Fallen Rainbow
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Mana Farm: Fallen Rainbow  (Read 1310 times)
Conker534
« on: April 21, 2012, 06:05:21 PM »

Mana Farm is a game almost 100% inspired by Harvest Moon 64. I've loved Harvest Moon 64 since like forever, and I started playing HM games again and this thought kept building in my mind. So I decided to go for it and started writing stuff. I needed a place to document my development in this game so I decided, why not here. I hope you guys enjoy the ride, I plan to make this my first game ever finished. I will be posting a update EVERY DAY, no matter what I do I will open GM and do something, even if its minor.

You play as Tsubiki Korizoko, an 18 year old girl from the city. As your Grandfather Rayo Korizoko's life comes to an end, he wants his farm to live on. He calls Tsubiki from the city, offering a new life, as a farmer in Korioka Village. You decide to keep the family reputation up and move in to the farm.

Little do you know there is more meaning to this small farm. Generations and generations ago when magic was still practiced, the ancients placed a spell on the farm, dubbing it the "Mana Farm". It fueled Korioka village, with energy and life, shown in the endless rainbow. As your Grandfather dies, the rainbow vanishes, and little creatures show up, trying to communicate with you. Discover the lost past and learn to revive the rainbow that is connected to the village, before it is to late.

Pretty much you just go along, farming, raising animals, fishing, forming relationships with the villagers, and maybe falling in love and starting a family.

As you play the world changes around you, like in Animal Crossing. It isn't live though, time only runs when you are playing the game. People will form relationships with each other, and fall in love with each other (don't let someone still your husband or wife O:). People will move away from the town, and others will move in.

It will be single player and cartoony, colorful and cute. There is going to be a leveling system as well, as you harvest crops you gain EXP and level up, and per level you get a skill point. You can add the skill point to your skill tree, allowing little buffs along the way.

Feedback and comments and questions are awesome, so leave some if you got 'em. :D

Dev log:
4/22/12 - HUD Explanation
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 08:45:02 AM by Conker » Logged
Savick
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 06:37:34 PM »

EDIT - if this is considered thread hijacking then I will apologize and remove my post.

Sounds okay, but try not to make the exact same game as you fell in love with. I mean don't copy all the same ideas from HM without implementing new ones. I had an idea similar to this called Dungeon Farmer or something along those lines. In my game idea you raised crops, found a love interest, and did some of the same stuff like raised animals like you say. However, the crops you raise get sucked into the ground after they're grown in order to contribute to the type of dungeon you make and explore. See, the dungeon is below your farm house and the entrance is the cellar door. The dungeons are randomly generated upon the crops you grow and the better the crops the better the dungeon.

You can use my idea if you let me help you develop it. I was planning to do this game after my own I have developing now, but I wouldn't be opposed to working on two games at once since I really only do pixel art and some animation.

Let me know if you're interested!  Grin
Conker534
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 06:40:11 PM »

Oh that's a cool idea but I want 0 violence in my game. Still that sounds like a lot of fun.

Anyways although this is inspired by HM64, there is no way I will copy it. I have tons of ideas that will go in my game that HM never had, like children actually doing things for your farm, and fun stuff like that.
Savick
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 06:41:35 PM »

Oh that's a cool idea but I want 0 violence in my game. Still that sounds like a lot of fun.

Anyways although this is inspired by HM64, there is no way I will copy it. I have tons of ideas that will go in my game that HM never had, like children actually doing things for your farm, and fun stuff like that.

No problem, I hope you enjoy working on your game.
Conker534
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 08:42:44 AM »

So I started MF's HUD. Its a bar that goes on the top of the play screen.

The blue bar is your endurance bar, when you do things in the game (water crops, plant seeds, etc) you deplete the bar. If you hit 0 you will pass out and wake up with 30% of what you should have the next day, missing out on time. You can eat foods to replenish the bar though.

The 2nd bar, that is right under it is your EXP bar. You gain EXP from doing things, such as fishing, farming, mining, taking care of animals, all that good stuff. When you level up you get a skill point that allows you to add to your skill tree, which is the next button.

The button with a red, green, and blue bar is your skill tree button. When you have skill points it will show an icon on the button itself, and you open it and add the skill to various little buffs. Nothing to OP to ruin the game, but enough to give the game more diversity.

The next button is simple, its the map. You click it and it shows a bigger map, with more detail and where you are.

The one next to it shows a big list of bars with Huh? on it. When you catch a new fish it will label the fish there.

The next one is your recipes. When you go into peoples homes you can look for bookshelfs and stuff like that, and sometimes they have recipes you can use to make your own food!

The last icon is the item icon, which allows you to access your inventory.

Then the last box will show the time of the day, and the date, and the weather. :D

I also drew the world map. :D
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 08:44:47 PM by Conker » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic