Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411649 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58451 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 15, 2024, 10:13:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDeath on Frontier: A Western JRPG
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Death on Frontier: A Western JRPG  (Read 1484 times)
TerenceChill
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: July 12, 2014, 10:49:21 PM »

Howdy, I figured after nearly a year worth of work I'd begin making the rounds and promoting my game, Death on Frontier a bit. I'd also like to collect as much feedback as possible and make the game the best it can be!

To break it down to an "elevator pitch", Death on Frontier is a Japanese style role playing video game with an Italian cinema style and setting inspired by the classics of the 5th console generation. As select-able characters Iris Mallory and Rook Manille, embark on an adventure across the frontier west full of betrayal, fortune, and action. Featuring highly sophisticated pre-rendered background technology combined with state of the art polygonal characters and 3D battle scenes, this adventure is not one to be missed!

The JRPG style of game, with it's heavy emphesis on story, character relationships and explosive setpieces is a perfect match for the spaghetti western style, a genre born from a A Fistful of Dollars, a remake of Akira Kurosawa's samurai comedy, Yojimbo. During it's decade long popularity, the spaghetti western genre evolved into a wide variety of styles as directors scrambled to cash in on anything that became a hit. And so, a Japanese film inspires an Italian film genre that inspires a Japanese style role playing game.

My main goal for the game is to deliver a dynamic story and unique JRPG gameplay. The game progression will draw more from western RPG games, whereas the gameplay elements will be drawn from Japanese RPGs. It's literally a "Western JRPG"

The battle system is "Active Turn Based" which I will elaborate on a bit more in due time.

Here's some promo shots. I'm going for a 5th generation console visual style.

Feel free to visit deathonfrontier.com for a bit more info. It's mostly just there to link to social media where you can see past progress.

Arrivederci!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 09:18:58 AM by TerenceChill » Logged

and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 04:27:42 AM »

The church looks very cool - there's definitely not enough Old West games around!

Out of curiosity, which consoles were part of the 5th generation?

TerenceChill
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 07:53:38 AM »

The church looks very cool - there's definitely not enough Old West games around!

I dunno, it's better to have a few good ones then a ton of mediocre ones. If you think about it probably about 2/3rds of movies produced in Italy between '65-'75 were westerns and only about 1 in 10 of those were any good.

Out of curiosity, which consoles were part of the 5th generation?

Playstation, Nintendo 64 and Sega Saturn. The 5th console generation was the generation when 3D became the industry standard. Video games grew a lot during that time.

I'm trying to capture the feel of early 3D graphics with this one. A time when Japanese companies were still transitioning from 16-bit cartridges to 3D graphics and high capacity CDs and the possibilities seemed endless.

TerenceChill
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 09:16:56 AM »

Deserts are pretty boring.

I'm looking for suggestions on how to make this boring desert fit the more goofy, lighthearted style of the game while retaining this rendering style. Will oddly proportioned characters traversing it be enough you think?

If anyone has any suggestions for flourishes I can add or point me towards an example of a video game desert that isn't bland looking I'd appreciate it.

Canned Turkey
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 08:13:47 PM »

I would add vultures circling a bulls bones. The skeleton could be in a slightly humorous pose, or maybe right next to  a well, with its hoof reaching towards it. Just think of cliche desert things, and add humor somewhere. Also, animated scenery REALLY adds to immersion, and i'm not talking grass waving, I mean full on life in each area. Every bit of character sprinkled on adds so much to a player. Think grim fandano and monkey island, although not JRPGs, what really sold those games wasn't just the characters, but the environment and worlds the're put in.
TerenceChill
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 05:50:49 PM »

I would add vultures circling a bulls bones. The skeleton could be in a slightly humorous pose, or maybe right next to  a well, with its hoof reaching towards it. Just think of cliche desert things, and add humor somewhere. Also, animated scenery REALLY adds to immersion, and i'm not talking grass waving, I mean full on life in each area. Every bit of character sprinkled on adds so much to a player. Think grim fandano and monkey island, although not JRPGs, what really sold those games wasn't just the characters, but the environment and worlds the're put in.

Thanks for the pointers. I've been getting great feedback from people on several outlets and I'm going to try to add as much as I can.

Somebody suggested dry brush, so I used weight painting and particles to achieve it. I'll be using this method a lot, it's so easy and useful.

TerenceChill
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 10:32:09 PM »

Starting to get more JRPG about my backgrounds. I still have a list of details to add to this scene. Critique welcome.

TerenceChill
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 11:22:50 PM »

Got quite a bit of the main cast modeled. Not entirely finished with all of them though.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic