Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411658 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58451 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 15, 2024, 07:15:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhall"Private" Alpha(Sumerian Blood: Gilgamesh Against the Gods)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: "Private" Alpha(Sumerian Blood: Gilgamesh Against the Gods)  (Read 947 times)
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: December 31, 2011, 09:30:22 PM »

You are invited to download and try Sumerian Blood in it's early alpha stage.
You will need someone to play against with though, since currently it's multiplayer only.
I am copying the annoucement from IndieDB.
To get the alpha go to: http://www.pompipompi.net/
Use the password: 982734987

If you don't have anyone to play with, either post here looking for a game or PM and I will be glad to have a friendly match against you. Smiley

Private Alpha
Sumerian Blood is now released as a private alpha. Eventually the game is going to cost money, but at this critical stage of forming the gameplay, it will be released as a free alpha.
When the time will come to sell the game, I will probably stop releasing free alphas.

What is Sumerian Blood?
"Sumerian Blood: Gilgamesh Against the Gods" is a 1vs1 game, in which two opposing armies fight each other. The game is split between a strategy board and an action arena. The two complement each other. In the strategy board you are moving your units, one unit each turn. When the units step on the same cell, a battle arena screen opens and the units fight each other to the death. Depending on the cell the battle occurs on, the units gets an HP bonus. The left army gets a bonus for light cells and the right army gets a bonus for dark cells. To win, you can either wipe out the enemy army or control all 5 power points. In the future there will be other\different winning conditions. The game support both local and online multiplayer, no single player for now.

Who are the Sumerians?

Sumerians are the people used to live in ancient Mesopotamia(nowadays modern Iraq), around 4000BC.
Mesopotamia was called "The cradle of civilization" since so many development in history were seen for the first time in Mesopotamia. From the first cities, to inventing a writing language, to agriculture and other things.

The game units and setting is based on mythology and history of Mesopotamia. The story is that Gilgamesh(A Sumerian king) has angered the gods, and specifically the creator god An, and thus a battle between Gilgamesh(followed by his people) and the gods is set in motion. Currently there is only Gilgamesh's army in the game, and even then it is not yet complete.

How to play?
You will need to find a friend to play with, or look for players on the forums. You can either play locally or online as a client\server set up. The ports used for the client\server set up are 21515 for UDP and 21516 for TCP. If you have problems setting a game, just post in the forums or PM me. Controls can be changed by editing the file Control1.txt and Control2.txt. These are the basics. If you want to play a match against me, just PM. We will try to arrange a friendly match. Smiley

How to get it?
The idea was that you would either watch this game or add the forum as your favorite. Technically, I wasn't able to enforce that, so in order to get the alpha you just need to look at the
News and Release forum http://www.indiedb.com/games/fatal-wars-2/forum/board/news-and-releases

Master of all trades.
Morroque
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 12:30:53 AM »

I played it against myself for a bit. It was a very interesting concept, and I must say that I am interested to know if you did any research for this project? Reading about Mesopotamia has recently developed into a pet interest of mine.

I've always wondered about designing a strategy game that incorporated action of some sort. I see the basic rudimentary elements of what could be a moderately interesting game of that kind, but the action is still too rudimentary, and the strategy is like chess in that it that it starts out dull and only becomes interesting once the game has already progressed for quite a while. Nonetheless, I am interested in seeing how this would develop.

My recommendations for improving the strategy would be to allow it to get "out of book" as quickly as possible. You could promote that by making the game a bit more fast paced, even on the strategy maps.

I await the appearance Enkidu!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 12:42:59 AM by MW » Logged
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 03:39:48 AM »

Yes, I did some research.
I have been reading about Mesopotamia, specifically Sumerians years ago, I wanted to do a game about it back then but didn't.
Now that I decided to use the Mesopotamia as a setting, I reread one of my books "Gods, Demons and Symbols of ancient mesopotamia"

About the game, how do you suggest to make the action more interesting? It's pretty simple, true, but I think it packs everything you need to have fun out of it.
More complex is not always better, and I like simple games. However, I am on a stage of forming the gameplay, so feedback and suggestions are welcome.
As I said, I am still forming the gameplay, so I am also experimenting with the strategy board. If you have an idea how to do it differently, I will be glad to hear.

Thanks for your interest in the game. Smiley

Master of all trades.
Morroque
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 12:51:09 PM »

Aha. This one? Looks like it would be a good find.

Now that I've thought about it a bit more, I can add the following: my first issue with the strategy board is that - while simple is good - too simple denies the possibility for unique situations to form within the game. I am a very bad chess player, but if there is any part of the game that I love the most, it would be the middle of the game when the board is one big mess and the pieces are all in odd positions. Even though the rules of the game haven't changed, that type of messiness is where the real strategic challenge of the game shines through since you can really appreciate - and use - the complexities. Compared to the beginning, when all the pieces are in the same positions and the number of obvious moves are already known, against the end of the game when too few pieces are left and it becomes a rather robotic chase remains on the board, the middle of the game is where the real fun part is found. This is what I meant for getting "out of book."

In my old strategy game from last year, I designed it with the imperative to get to this "messy" state as quickly as possible. However, the tradeoff for it became obvious: the usual playtime of a single game went from 2 hours to 10 minutes. Good for replay value and multiple matches, where if you win you win and if you lose it's not that big of a deal, but: the shorter and easier a game becomes the less ultimate satisfaction is gained from winning.

When it comes to the action, I'm afraid there really isn't that much you can do with single-button gameplay. The most you could do with that is a one-two-three tapping combo, a running/dashing attack, or probably include a form of charge attack - similar to the Spur from Cave Story. Other than that, you may also need to make the stats and attributes of the game pieces more on display. For example, that archer might have a very long range attack, but it would be comparatively weak against a scythe to the face, and a footsoldier may have more HP than one of those ranged spellcaster types.

If you take the option for the charge attacks, you may want to have them customizable on the map screen during a player's turn. You'll want to have this as adjustable as possible. Let's say a player can make a unit's Level 0 (base) attack just a swing of their sword, their Level 1 (small charge) might be a ranged boomerang throw, and their Level 2 attack might be a close-quarters Zelda-style spin attack. The penalty for changing a unit's attack style would need to be skipping a movement or attack phase for a turn. The selection of attack styles will likely need to be limited to the quality of items that the army has, so if a spellcaster gets his fireballing tactics from a magical cuneiform tablet, he may have a level 0, level 1, and level 2 charge, but not a level 3 or up because the item quality isn't good enough.

One thing that may be necessary is having longer player turns, and the ability to use/move/attack multiple units. You'll need some way of figuring out, so moving or attacking with two strong units with lots of items equipped with be the same as moving five weaker units. Maybe a simple "movement cost" stat could be introduced? With it, you can safely include unit types that lean more towards supportive ability rather than offense, providing healing or status buffs.

I don't know if you have this already, since it didn't come up in my playthroughs as a make-or-break issue, but you'll need to make sure that the stats remain consistent for each unit. So if a footsoldier won on the last turn, but took some damage, that same amount of remaining HP will carry over into its next battle. I think you already do have this, but if you make that sort of information on display in the map screen, the amount of strategy the game requires will rise dramatically.

The size of the arena is another issue. The way it is set up right now, the arena is so large that the weakest units are the ones with the worst attack range, regardless of how powerful they may be. If you want to utilize more close-quarters combat - as ancient battles used to be before the invention of proper ammunition - then you'll need to make the arenas much smaller in size, and have the units engage each other at closer distances.

In fact, if you include HP, Offense, and Defense as base stats, other stats may include: speed (in arena movement speed), movement (how far they may travel on the map screen), stealth (how close the unit begins a battle to the enemy unit when it engages), and evasiveness (how far away the unit begins a battle when engaged by another player, with the two stats evening each out). Then there are other stats of a more standard fare, like critical hit chance, chance to dodge or "miss" an attack strike, as well as the ability to gain passive bonuses.

The terrain of the battlefield is another issue. You'll need to make it so that a player can retreat from an engagement if necessary. The best way to do this would be having the player "run into" the arena edge for some amount of time before the battle ends and they scuttle onto the adjacent map space in the direction that they ran (provided there is not another unit already there). Another helpful detail would be directional placement: if a unit engages another unit from the north, it would appear on the arena as to the north of the opposite unit. Other things to include would be more level-based items and gimmicks, like parts of the stage that the players can interact with to some possible effect, or cause a chain-reaction. Cutting down a tall tree to land on the opponent, or maybe using a knockback-inducing attack to push a nonflying opponent over a pool of fire. Granted, if all this were to be included, the player would need to have some way of knowing what type of battlefield a particular area has before engaging. Maybe a player can inspect the type of terrain a particular part of the battlefield has if one of its units is in movement distance of it?

Whelp, terribly sorry for writing such a long post -- I didn't have the time to write a short one. Nonetheless, I hope some of this can inform your design choices.
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 12:18:56 AM »

You gave a lot of good ideas, but the main things I got from you is that good strategy should have some sort of chaos. While by chaos I mean having multiple choices to advacne while some are better and some are worse. If the strategy consist of doing the same "trick" or some simple moves then it is not interesting enough.
Regarding the action, you gave some good ideas as well, but I don't agree that one button is not enough. I also don't agree the board needs to be smaller. This is mainly from playtesting against people, I think it's a good board size and the one attacks is fitting for 1vs1 battles. The only thing is that some units have unbalanced attack. If I gave everyone the same projectile attack it would be easier to balance but less interesting. So I need to find the golden path.

If you want we can play a match together, you can PM me your Skype.

p.s. That book that you mentioned is the book I was reading.

Master of all trades.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic