Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411632 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 13, 2024, 02:53:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsReignfall - Devlog :: Update - 9th September
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Reignfall - Devlog :: Update - 9th September  (Read 8188 times)
Aquanoctis
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« on: August 25, 2009, 09:57:43 AM »

Reignfall is project I have been working on for almost a year now and many hours of tears, screaming and headaches have gone into it. It's a slow development but I felt it was the right time to start up a devlog.

:: Story Outline ::

A somewhat clichéd affair I suppose, our story follows Ira (pictured above) on his journey from the peacfeul trading town of Skud to the darkest bowels of robotic mechanism to try and stop automata wiping out the human race!

"Shock horror!" I hear you cry. Fear not as our hero has many abilities to hand...

:: Game Outline ::

- He can shoot a variety of weapons
(Currently) Pulse Gun/Rocket Launcher
- Jump!
- Gain abilities and powerups (e.g. Double Jump)
- and do other things that lengthen this rather short list!

There will of course be numerous enemies and bosses dispatched by the leader of the robotic forces: The creatively named, Number 1!

The world has never feared such evil,

according to the propogandist posters that now litter the formerly grand city of the humans which the robots swept through like fire, swatting human resistance like flies.

- - -

Heavily influenced by the likes of (suprise!) Cave Story and Noitu Love, Reignfall is a platformer with shooting, levelling and exploring.

:: About this Devlog ::

Until I get my site up and running this is where I will post screenshots, mockups, animations, concept art and possibly demos in the future.

:: Other Information ::

The game is being made in game maker mainly due to me being lazy and therefore not wanting to learn C++.
The programming and art (for which I have chosen a retro-esque chunky pixel stylee) is covered by me. However in the future I may need look for people to help with the soundtrack as the stuff I have currently composed doesn't even do a slap to the face any justice.
Also, when I feel the game has reached a reasonable build I will be looking for beta testers to take it for a test drive.

:: Links ::

:: Progress ::

Animation for the main character Ira:

« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 11:04:33 AM by Aquanoctis » Logged
ElijahKatz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 10:03:51 AM »

Looks good...
I hope it gets made  Big Laff
MaloEspada
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 10:09:38 AM »

Interesting...  Cool
Although I feel there are too many platformer-shooters in the vein of  Cave Story lately...
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 10:14:36 AM by MaloEspada » Logged
JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 12:21:33 PM »

Interesting...  Cool
Although I feel there are too many platformer-shooters in the vein of  Cave Story lately...

haha i enjoy game like that.
i think this looks sweet!

keep it up.

Damian
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 02:05:51 PM »

Interesting...  Cool
That comments kinda dissapointing, especially when looking at your avatar Lips Sealed
MaloEspada
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 02:10:46 PM »

Yeah, I know. I didnt' say I don't enjoy these games though. I'm just being realistic, look at all those platformer-exploration-shooters with cute graphics.

In no way i'm saying this game will be a bad thing. I just felt like expressing my opinion. Sorry if I went too far.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 03:11:53 PM by MaloEspada » Logged
hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 02:16:04 PM »

Not at all, just a fair observation. That, although true, does not defy the fact that many people still love these games. I also think for many it is a learning curve and stepping stone in fact, for indie game devs. But to be quite honest, my personal opinion sways to these games every time, I just wuv em so much, WANNACUDDLEEMANDEATEMUP!

Who, Me? whatwhennywhywhenwho? Where am i?

</scene>

JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 03:10:13 PM »

Yeah, I know. I didnt' say I don't enjoy theese games though. I'm just being realistic, look at all those platformer-exploration-shooters with cute graphics.

In no way i'm saying this game will be a bad thing. I just felt like expressing my opinion. Sorry if I went too far.

you didnt go too far at all ^_^

[as i try to stay on topic] post some animations Aqua!  Beer!

Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 09:34:40 PM »

MaloEspada- totally fair, totally on topic, and respectfully handled to boot.

Aquanoctis- I really like the colors in that image you posted. I hope we'll be seeing more visuals soon!
Jason Bakker
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 09:45:58 PM »

Looks pretty cool! Keep us updated Aqua Grin

Aquanoctis
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 01:30:13 AM »

Wow. Thanks for the replies everyone.

MaloEspada - Don't worry, that's a fair comment. I definately know what you mean.

Apart from some similar aesthetics and the fact it's a platformer with robots hopefully means it wont be too samey.

Anyways, just a small update.

Animation for Ira.

Not sure what you think...be harsh if that's what is required  Smiley Crits greatly appreciated so I can make it better if need be.

Secondly a screenshot (currently the third in-game screen) Not much to it but at the risk of being patronising, it's annotated. It's just I seem to find that my low saturation colours have a habit of causing key objects to fade away into the background.

The long bright lines are meant to be light coming down from above...not sure how clearly that comes across.
The heart chest, when opened, releases a giant white heart into the air which lengthens your life. I'll put that animation up soon when it's finished.
Iamthejuggler
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2009, 03:38:02 AM »

I thought those were lighter strips tree trunks before you explained it was beams of light.

Also that running animation looks like the character is running towards us rather than across the screen. I'm also in two minds about the jagged edges to the actual tree trunks. It looked fine in the first screen you posted, but it looks weird in the new one, especially with those beams of light over the top.

Sorry, that all sounds quite negative! I think the chest and box stand out ok, and will stand out even better when the messiness of the background gets better.
MaloEspada
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2009, 08:07:17 AM »

I like your colors, although I dislike the fact that the Weapon HUD has transparent background, making it hard to read in screenshots like the one you posted.
Aquanoctis
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2009, 08:20:28 AM »

Yeah it's pretty hard to make out. I'm currently working on redoing that though.

Iamthejuggler - I'll reconsider those lights then  Smiley
sloopygoop
Level 0

8-bit magical sounds...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2009, 08:27:08 AM »

I seem to find that my low saturation colours have a habit of causing key objects to fade away into the background.
That can be a problem, whereas if objects in the foreground are brighter or more saturated, they can be read more easily by the player.  Clarity does a great service to the gamer.

My music:
Aquanoctis
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2009, 07:45:19 AM »

okay. taken in some feedback. I've removed the lights in the forest area. A lot of people have confused them with tree trunks.

The new HUD is coming along nicely as well. It now has an opaque bg and is chunkier and easier to see. (possibly too distracting for the player?)
The health bar also needs to be moved/changed I feel. Any suggestions for the that are warmly welcomed  Smiley

Also pictured are circular saws of death, lasers (of death), and a pressurized air launching system which upon set-up hurls the player majestically though the air. 
Also, do you think the screen looks too cluttered with objects?

MaloEspada
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2009, 07:50:08 AM »

Looks cool but, what is that on the HUD? Wood Gun?
LeFishy
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2009, 07:53:21 AM »

It took me a while to spot the laser (of death) I fear that when the game is running and I'm hopskipjumping about I might miss it entirely and end up getting deathed  Epileptic

I dislike being deathed.

Make it pretty and bright or sparkly or something...

Otherwise I am liking the look so far.
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2009, 08:09:25 AM »

do the laser red, or make an animation for it, circularsaws doens't looks very sawy too, but i think they'll have a different feel while spinning, looks cool so far

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2009, 08:46:51 AM »

I think I have played this game before... Undecided

And I liked it Grin
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic