Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411630 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 12, 2024, 06:45:23 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsReignfall - Devlog :: Update - 9th September
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Reignfall - Devlog :: Update - 9th September  (Read 8187 times)
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2009, 10:26:34 AM »

To make the beam of light easier to read, make it more conical; it should be wide at the base where it touches the ground and taper as it gets closer to its source.

that running animation looks like the character is running towards us rather than across the screen.

I thought the same thing.

Aquanoctis
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2009, 10:41:11 AM »

I think I have played this game before...

hmm...unless you broke into my pc. Or maybe you're living in their right now! Mock Anger
not much I can say to that.

Looks cool but, what is that on the HUD? Wood Gun?

wood gun? why not Smiley It was meant to be a rocket launcher but oh well (don't ask how I think that looks like rocket launcher)

do the laser red, or make an animation for it, circularsaws doens't looks very sawy too, but i think they'll have a different feel while spinning, looks cool so far

Yeah they kinda lose their impact when not making screeching noises or spinning. Laser animation coming up.

To make the beam of light easier to read, make it more conical; it should be wide at the base where it touches the ground and taper as it gets closer to its source.
Thanks for that. will do =]

And leFishy, don't worry I'm sure you'll see it if you don't hear it first. It makes quite a noise when it activates... Apoplectic
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2009, 10:48:49 AM »

hmm...unless you broke into my pc. Or maybe you're living in their right now! Mock Anger
not much I can say to that.

I'm perfectly human. Actually I have been thinking about suicide and about God many times. That's right, right? Guys? 011101? 0011 Epileptic
deathtotheweird
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2009, 04:59:51 AM »

a pressurized air launching system** which upon set-up hurls the player majestically though the air.

**isn't an air launching system of death...  Angry

anyways, it doesn't look cluttered, but it does look fun
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2009, 10:05:43 AM »

for fixing the life bar HUD could you perhaps integrate them all together. like perhaps a circle with the weapon in it and around the circle is your health bar. that way its not cluttering up the screen. look at "virtual Bart" screens and you will see what I mean about using a circular health bar.

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2009, 10:59:56 AM »

lasers doesn't really work like that  Huh?

i think it's only because we see it static and it's white, a flashing red line would pop up more

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2009, 11:27:22 AM »

Laser is invisible you only see the diffraction through dust (Cf McGyver et al. c.1986) , that's why it should have a sort of "cloud noise" texture. You should also make it flash on and off very rapidly.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Aquanoctis
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2009, 11:03:55 AM »

okay, thanks for all the replies everyone. Not sure about adding noise to the laser because I think that will look out of place due to the basic-ess of everything else. Here's a gif of the laser animation so far. Not the best but just thought I'd show something. I was trying to aim for it to look like it bursts slowly from one end (as if energy is slowly buidling up), and then quickly shooting to it's destination. Will probably add some particles as it makes contact with the floor later as well. I would like to add some transparency to the laser but since the code simply draws a line from A to B I'm sure how to go about it. Anyone here that knows how to draw a translucent line in gamemaker?

Also, below are another two enemies. The humanoid one to the left is the most common. The second robot will remain still and turned off until you get within a certain distance at whcih point it pop up (as shown below). Crits and comments greatly appreciated so I can make this as good as it can be.  Smiley

Kingel
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2009, 01:30:43 PM »

I'd make the charging effect bigger, add some white in there and make it bleed a bit to the sides to really make it look intense.

Something more like this.

Or this, without the AA. Harsher, but simpler.

But if you'd like to go with something more realistic, I'd go for an effect more like this.

To make it match better, I removed the checkerboard dithering.

Hope that'll give you some ideas. Smiley

Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2009, 09:32:03 AM »

Nice suggestions. I still like the original laser, it fits with the rest.

Keep working on this, it looks great!

skyy
Level 2

[ SkyWhy ]

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2009, 10:53:09 AM »

Personally I liked the last one the best. All though my eye for art is completely blind  Shrug Keep up the work.

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2009, 04:21:45 PM »

I'd make the charging effect bigger, add some white in there and make it bleed a bit to the sides to really make it look intense.

Something more like this.

Or this, without the AA. Harsher, but simpler.

But if you'd like to go with something more realistic, I'd go for an effect more like this.

To make it match better, I removed the checkerboard dithering.

Hope that'll give you some ideas. Smiley

Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss

i really like all of them but i think that the dusty ones are more like "don't touch me or the alarm rings" than "i'm a deadly laser", so i like the first one the most.

i'd use that animation only when it activates and deactivates, not when it's fully functional (basically only when you need to run over it when it's turned off) because it looks like you can run past it if you're quick enough.

For an always active laser i'd simply go for a red line with a lighter part going down continuously

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Aquanoctis
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2009, 11:56:39 AM »

Kiss wow arachne! thosesare great. thanks a lot for the help  Smiley
Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2009, 07:27:44 AM »

Posting so I can follow this.

Cerogravian
Level 2

Working As Designed

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2009, 12:46:02 PM »

I'm really happy I stumbled over this thread, and I'm looking forward to seeing this progress.
I must admit that the first thought that struck me when I saw the first image was Shadow Complex, must have been the colours. But I really think you have a good thing going here, and I really think there should be more updates here WinkHand Shake Right
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic