Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411630 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 12, 2024, 03:04:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject PDRPG - an MORPG in the works
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Project PDRPG - an MORPG in the works  (Read 10424 times)
Mitchard
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2009, 10:35:55 AM »

Oddly enough, I don't know a single steampunk platformer. Perhaps you could enlighten me?

Sure thing

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/6408/medium2830331624266cbb3.jpg
http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/2474/2620768160768dc3d0aa.jpg
http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/997/sparkster2147.png
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/6918/remnants20of20skystone.jpg
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/9457/99811henryhatsworthscre.jpg
http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/9758/lostinshadowss042.jpg
(I was going to use image links but decided against it.)

I can go on, but I'll admit that list was harder to make than I thought.

The indie game crowd just loves steampunk, its weird, but so do I.
I just feel like it's a bit lazy in the same way the generic fantasy setting is.
Icarus
Level 0

This text is nonexistant.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2009, 12:00:18 PM »

Not saying this is what you SHOULD do, I'm just saying that you can do this without losing any vital information.

This is the exact thing I feel we should do.
Also, I'm saying this chatbox is what I'm looking for in the graphics, personally. Smiley

Not a fan of MMORPGs, since they all seem to be about grinding. I'll see where this goes, though. Try to avoid MMO cliche's, and don't make quests or grinding or medieval settings. That's just way too overdone.

This is the exact thing that has driven me and my team to start developing PDRPG  Wink

Oddly enough, I don't know a single steampunk platformer. Perhaps you could enlighten me?

Anyway, having read the whole thread, I don't think I really get what this game is about. So apparently the world changes according to the players' actions, but how? I also couldn't really discern whether it's going to have user-created content or not.

Just a little hint in case you're going for user-created stuff: I'd be very careful with that as it has a tendency to get extremely messy. And don't forget that people are, more often than not, douchebags on the internet. So you should limit it just enough to not allow any of that to happen.

Yes, the world changes based on what the players do as a mass. And whether the user-based content will even be inserted to the game, is still unclear. But we're working on this.

dbb
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2009, 08:03:23 AM »

But, you shouldn't even be mixing pixel graphics with anti-aliased text in the first place.

Also, never EVER use the noise filter when drawing pixel art. EVER.

Yeah, and he used more than sixteen colours, too! INFIDEL!  Roll Eyes

It pisses me off when people act like pixel art is some sort of sacred activity rather than a creative enterprise.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2009, 08:43:05 AM »

Yeah, I don't get what's so bad about going beyond outdated technical limitations.

These graphics look fine to my uninitiated eyes.  :D
Mitchard
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2009, 09:15:51 AM »

Yeah, and he used more than sixteen colours, too! INFIDEL!  Roll Eyes

It pisses me off when people act like pixel art graphic design is some sort of sacred activity rather than a creative enterprise.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. There are do's and don'ts associated with every aspect of design and pretty concrete reasoning behind both of those points.
I was being hyperbolic, sure, but if you have a problem with what I intended as constructive criticism then at least provide some kind of counter example, rather than just handwaving "You are a bad person." at me.

I would also like to point out that the game looks pretty interesting and I'm sorry my comments seem to have inspired such vitriol in people.
Hempuliā€½
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2009, 01:46:19 PM »

...But I must agree on the fact that the art styles clash a lot; there's the noisy look of the ground, the simple cell-shadey style on the background and the non-shaded, really bright characters.

ArchMonitor
Level 0

Sucky pixel artist :c

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2009, 01:52:20 PM »

...But I must agree on the fact that the art styles clash a lot; there's the noisy look of the ground, the simple cell-shadey style on the background and the non-shaded, really bright characters.
Has been fixed. Ground and boxes are now more cel-shade stylish. Characters might/will get items on them so the simple noshaded characters are fixed by that.

Icarus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2009, 07:22:22 AM »

Updated the first post to give out a feature list. Modifications to the game will also be listed there as the game develops.

In other news, the graphics have been modified. The game now rins RUNS in 320x240, as suggested. The complexity of graphics will be radically lowered, hopefully bringing a more simple presentation.

Now, for a cup of  Coffee to keep me going.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 07:50:57 AM by Icarus » Logged

ArchMonitor
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2009, 08:52:38 AM »

Some particles made, GUI changes and such have been attributed as well.
Will post pics when they are in newest compile. :3

st33d
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2009, 03:12:04 PM »

Erm,

I wrote the engine and made half the levels on Dirk Valentine.

It's a platformer. With steampunk.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 03:57:03 AM by st33d » Logged
Alomard
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2009, 09:30:26 PM »

The noise filter can produce nice results. Sometimes. It depends on where and how you use it. Its more about discretion, rather than absolutes. If you are drawing rough concrete  for example, the noise filter does a good job of producing the basic qualities of its surface. Yes, this could be accomplished without the noise filter, but for a fairly random texture like this, the noise filter works fine. I wouldn't recommend relying too heavily on the noise filter to create detail, though.

also about what was said earlier about steampunk and medieval settings being worn out... You can use whatever setting and subject matter you like, its more about finding a creative angle on it, something to set it apart.

Im wanting to comment on the art, but it sounds like its changed quite a bit, so ill wait and see how things look now.
Icarus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2009, 09:15:19 AM »

Thread updated, new crappy pictures to show you the graphics.

The pictures seem to have corrupted a bit, PNG rarely has the unwanted blur.

Also, the map is now 100 times larger from what it was in the last beta release.  Roll Eyes

Mogget
Level 1

Manbabysitter

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2009, 09:28:08 AM »

Is there a way to hide the textbox completely? It's not bad as of now, but I imagine it could get distracting. Something like showing only one line of text at a time would be nice too. Other than that, good job on the graphics, ArchMonitor. The ground needs an inside corner, though. And I assume that rock isn't finished yet.

Hurray for shameless promotion!
Icarus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2009, 09:38:29 AM »

Is there a way to hide the textbox completely? It's not bad as of now, but I imagine it could get distracting. Something like showing only one line of text at a time would be nice too. Other than that, good job on the graphics, ArchMonitor. The ground needs an inside corner, though. And I assume that rock isn't finished yet.

Yes, you can hide the chatbox completely. Convenient buttons will be added to the HUD later on to ease this.

Also, no. The rock pieces still need to be finished.

ArchMonitor
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2009, 02:16:12 PM »

More promo pics on the current game - this time without the fuzzy.

Some new functions have been made like showing the title of the area when entering.

Icarus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2009, 03:24:44 AM »

For your information, people...

If you're interested in closed beta testing, send me a PM or post on this thread about your interest!
  Cool

I'm also updating the thread to show info about the process of development on different parts of the game.

ArchMonitor
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2009, 02:30:16 AM »

Content mockup.
Some of the trusses are placed illogically, but hey, it's a mockup.

Mstrp
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2009, 04:00:09 AM »

This looks pretty good and sounds pretty interesting, but could you try to explain a bit more about what you mean when you say that the inventory system wont work the way most mmorpg's inventory system works?

Also, in what way will this be a more social mmo, and what does that mean for gameplay mechanics? Will there be fighting in the game? Is it a political mmo? Is it a "build the world" mmo, sort of like Love?

Clearifications, much needed. And keep up that good work.
ArchMonitor
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2009, 09:37:56 AM »

This looks pretty good and sounds pretty interesting, but could you try to explain a bit more about what you mean when you say that the inventory system wont work the way most mmorpg's inventory system works?

Also, in what way will this be a more social mmo, and what does that mean for gameplay mechanics? Will there be fighting in the game? Is it a political mmo? Is it a "build the world" mmo, sort of like Love?

Thanks for commenting, but erm. Undecided
I don't really have too much clue how Icarus is going to do this stuff, I'm just the GFX artist here, but I'll help as much as I can.
The inventory system, no idea. MORPG idea - definitely we are going for more social MO. There'll be fighting, but I'm figuring it's more actionary than regular online RPGs, something like a crossover of MMO and 2D Action Platformer.

And thanks, we will.  Smiley

Icarus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2009, 03:14:05 AM »

I will update the first post to match my idea of the game soon. Right now I'm too busy with the game being EXTREMELY unstable for no apparent reason, but I will do my best on keeping you guys informed... Concerned

The game will include combat, but it will not be the main part of the gameplay - we will concentrate on different parts, for example exploring the vast world with your friends, finding rare artifacts buried in the ground and completing quests which need you to solve puzzles (instead of killing 5000 rats in a basement or the sewers). The combat system will work so that grinding will not be needed; you only use combat to actually fight someone or something, not to gain experience. Fighting will NOT give you experience points in this game as it doesn't have an experience level. The only levels are the skill levels including Acrobatics and Speed.

About the inventory system - the loot system will be altered from many MMOs in a way: there will not be different kinds of weapons, but one weapon which you upgrade in an arcade game manner. You collect powerups and your weapon may fire faster, different kinds of effects may be applied to your bullets, it may give the monsters a knockback or so.

The weapon will have three upgrade slots. The powerups will take up one slot each, which will limit your upgrades in a way that reminds of collecting different items. Think about adding more parts to your loyal weapon and switching old parts to new ones to make it better, only the gun has three different parts you can upgrade.

Some people may ask about "random drops". How can they exist in a game like this, if it has no inventory like other games? Well, the monsters drop random upgrades, depending on the monster, which have a random multiplier each. For example, if you kill a cave lurker, (which will be one of the first monsters you can fight in the game) you may get a powerup by the name "Weapon Power +2%". If you go and fight an enraged astroguard instead, you might get a "Weapon Power +10%". That simple, only the amount of different kinds of powerups will be massive - so that everyone can design a weapon of their own style, whichever fits them the best.

But as I said, this game will not concentrate on grinding and combat.

Peace.  NinjaHand Metal Right

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic