Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411634 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58449 Members - Latest Member: wcored

May 13, 2024, 12:27:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Weather
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Weather  (Read 2069 times)
lokijki
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: December 04, 2009, 01:27:21 PM »

The Weather

Website

Hey, I know I started a thread in Feedback about this already but I'd like to keep updating as I work on this so I figured I'd just start one here. Anyways, working what will hopefully be my first shareware game. Its a single screen retro platformer, and if you've played any of my previous games you probably know that I'm aiming to make it somewhat challenging.  Tongue

The object of the game is to clear the skies of clouds by reaching a machine that conveniently does just that at the end of each level.  Durr...?

I'm still pretty new to game development, so I can't help being a little proud of some of the things I've done so far, such as the clouds, rain, and lightning effects. Of course I've got a lot of problems I need to iron out, too, but its moving along. I'm hoping to make this at least a little more then a standard platformer, and while so far I've really done nothing new I'm hoping to get some creative level design in with the electricity things I've got in the game already. (And a few things I have yet to implement)

Anyways, thats about it. I'll be adding screenshots and such whenever I hit some sort of major update. If you'd like to play what I have so far just ask and I'll find some way to get it to you. Feedback never hurts! (Well, it can, but in a helpful sort of way.)

My games on  GameJolt.com

Hempuliā€½
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 03:49:51 PM »

Too tired to write anything proper, but I must congratulate you for your good and sincere attitude, no boasting here. The game looks rather nice, though I'm not personally enjoying the red-grey combination.

lokijki
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 04:10:58 PM »

Too tired to write anything proper, but I must congratulate you for your good and sincere attitude, no boasting here. The game looks rather nice, though I'm not personally enjoying the red-grey combination.

Thanks.  Grin

And about the colors: What do you think you'd prefer? If I get more similar feedback then I'll probably change it, won't be to hard to change.

iPope
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 05:59:50 AM »

I think the problem is there isn't enough contrast between the colors, they are both quite dull.

lokijki
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 06:25:19 AM »

Alright, you may have a point there. Do you think a change it shades would work or should I just go ahead and do a complete color change? (I'm trying to avoid color themes that have already been done to death, hence the current theme, so I guess I want to avoid things like black and white, gameboy colors, etc..., although I might give them a shot anyway just to see how it turns out.)

iPope
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 07:25:38 AM »

Alright, you may have a point there. Do you think a change it shades would work or should I just go ahead and do a complete color change? (I'm trying to avoid color themes that have already been done to death, hence the current theme, so I guess I want to avoid things like black and white, gameboy colors, etc..., although I might give them a shot anyway just to see how it turns out.)

Try making the red lighter and the grey slightly darker. I think that would work.

lokijki
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 01:44:06 PM »

I think I had it like that when I first started development, but the contrast between the bright red and the dark background was sort of an eyestrain which is why the colors are what they are now. I'll try it anyways just to see, though.

Bones
Level 10

3 Months Sober

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 04:58:01 PM »

I dont care what anyone says about the colors this is delicious. Hand Fork Left Corny Laugh Hand Knife Right
I'm always a fan of low color games.

Seriously though, that electricity effect is pretty, if only the ground current was animated a bit smoother.
The lightning bolts are nice and the clouds being vacuumed into whatever the goal is supposed to be is also cool.

Sit down and relax,
Keeping focus on your breath,
This may take a while.

lokijki
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 03:12:12 PM »

Sorry for the lack of updates. .-. Haven't worked on this as much as I'd like to, but I managed to add 1 small feature, at least.

Moving platforms! So original! :D

Anyways, its a platform. And it moves. Also, when its hit by lightning, a shockwave is sent through it which the player must jump over. Which means at points, you'll be dodging lightning and making sure you're ride doesn't kill you. Tongue

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic