Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411634 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: wcored

May 13, 2024, 02:25:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPrivate Party - an RPG
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12
Print
Author Topic: Private Party - an RPG  (Read 19289 times)
Stricle
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: September 16, 2017, 02:16:01 PM »

Just kidding, I want to entertain people (still want the fandom, though)

About Oneshot, the main character is called Niko? It's like an acronym of Kino. My head canon now is that they got inspired by my devlog

Spoiler ahead (?):
Is the part when they find out your name?

My devlog:     My twitter:
Private Party      twitter
breakfastbat
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 16, 2017, 02:24:35 PM »

Just kidding, I want to entertain people (still want the fandom, though)

About Oneshot, the main character is called Niko? It's like an acronym of Kino. My head canon now is that they got inspired by my devlog

Spoiler ahead (?):
Is the part when they find out your name?

No it's one of the endings

Also the word you want instead of "acronym" is "anagram"

♫ December, ♫
♫ December. ♫
Stricle
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: September 16, 2017, 02:55:35 PM »

hahaha
I knew acronym sounded weird...

vitorlanna
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 16, 2017, 07:42:28 PM »

(about those screenshots)I dig the mood at Lola's Dance Club and the Throne Room! I wonder how the music is. (I think those white streaks of lighting in the windows in the throne room look a bit akward, but overall the mood and color scheme is pretty solid!). The autumn forest also looks nice! The character looks a bit like he doesn't quite fit in the scenarios though, but I guess that may just make he stand out.

About the demo, making a new story for it instead of it being a part of the game does make it harder to actually finish the main game. But thinking about it, it sounds like the demo is like another game, a short game prologue? So in a way it makes it easier to finish ONE game, just not the main one.

If the beginning is too slow, maybe starting from the point of view of another character or another point of the story?

I think it's important to work to try to improve the main appeal of the game (such as story and characters), but I also think that fretting too much about it is the kind of thing that leads games to never get finished. Sometimes you have to decide to try to go with what you have and use it as a learning experience for the next game. Of course the big question is where to draw the line of where is the appropriate amount of "worry".

Stricle
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: September 17, 2017, 04:16:44 AM »

Hello, Vitorlanna! Glad to see you here!

How is Pongo's March doing? I haven't saw much of it (or you) lately.

(about those screenshots)I dig the mood at Lola's Dance Club and the Throne Room! I wonder how the music is. (I think those white streaks of lighting in the windows in the throne room look a bit akward, but overall the mood and color scheme is pretty solid!). The autumn forest also looks nice! The character looks a bit like he doesn't quite fit in the scenarios though, but I guess that may just make he stand out.

Thanks! When I was drawing it I wasn't sure if I'd use pure white (pure white is dangerous, right?), turns out I completely forgot about it. I'll try a more pink/purple and transparent version.

The music! I also wonder how the music will be XD. I want some synths, maybe with 8-bit sounds.

I thought the same about the characters: they stood out, that's what I wanted... right? The problem would be "easily" solved by changing the characters pallet a little (or applying a filter on them). But should I do this? Idk.

About the demo, making a new story for it instead of it being a part of the game does make it harder to actually finish the main game. But thinking about it, it sounds like the demo is like another game, a short game prologue? So in a way it makes it easier to finish ONE game, just not the main one.

The idea was another game that also was private party's demo. Let me explain the idea better for all of you:

[Spoilers and possible spoiler ahead]

In the big (final) game you start as Kino, the blue guy, main char. You wake up and... surprise! it's your birthday!
In this first scene you get to know Kino's mother, father and uncle (Galakbuster). (I added this birthday scene because starting with your parents already gone wouldn't make the player care about them, they wouldn't even know them)
Short later, we met Gosty, the ghost, that will be with you through the game. After that you enter in a fake dungeon, lose your parents, wander in the forest, enter the purple tavern, etc.

Idk, maybe the beinning isn't that bad. (It lacks a battle scene, should I worry about that?)

The demo would end in the tavern where he just met Doki,the bird (shortly after, actually).

The problems with it: (it IS a problem, right?)

1)The player would only actually know Gosty and Galakbuster, because the contact with the other characters would be too brief.

2) The player would experience two battles, being the first one a tutorial (impossible to lose) and the second a normal but with Doki. (this is fine actually)

3) No Dina, Lola, Asker, Jade, #1 doki's fan, Pyros, etc... You will never meet any of them in the demo.

Doing the original demo:

The demo would start with the full party: Kino, Doki and Charlotte.
They would start in a weird forest, talking about how great the last scene was. Shortly after, they would meet Dinerson and Sauria (obviously dinosaurs)...

[you may not want to read the next spoiler]

Edited, sorry. There's nothing to see here.

[end of spoilers]

The two dinosaurs wouldn't be in the full game (I can change that, though. Maybe in a nice way).
In the demo, you would also meet Jade. A lot of nonsense would happen, you would collect cool equipment (probably there will be few of them in the beginning of the big game).
In the end you would fight the Devil (?) - An original villain.
It would be faster paced.

I would make it in a way it won't hurt the original story.

If I don't make the original demo, I can put some of its elements into the final game.

[End of Private party and demo plots]

If the beginning is too slow, maybe starting from the point of view of another character or another point of the story?

It's a great idea I'm considering now.

I think it's important to work to try to improve the main appeal of the game (such as story and characters), but I also think that fretting too much about it is the kind of thing that leads games to never get finished. Sometimes you have to decide to try to go with what you have and use it as a learning experience for the next game. Of course the big question is where to draw the line of where is the appropriate amount of "worry".

You're right. If I stress this much about every part of the game it will never get done. The hard part is draw that line. The most important thing I'm forgetting right now is to make it fun, as long as the development is fun I'll keep doing it.
*starts stressing about drawing the best line possible*

Sorry about the big text. I got really excited talking about the story. Please, don't let me spoil too much of it. XD

I'm still not sure if I'll do or not the original demo.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 08:31:23 AM by obj_control » Logged

breakfastbat
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 17, 2017, 05:07:08 AM »

I dodged the spoiler section of your post but I just wanted to chime in on the idea of the game never getting finished and worrying too much.

There definitely comes a point where you have to draw the line. I've been drawing a ton of lines on my project but for the longest time I kept rewriting and rewriting over and over because it wasn't good enough. I don't know, for me I just want my game to be really successful and I went through a bunch of ideological phases to understand what that really meant.

At first I just wanted to make a game so I started making it but realized it wouldn't be successful because of the genre and bland/predictable writing and gameplay (and other things), so I trashed it. If I spent 4 years on a game and only made $20,000 - what was the point of even making it? I wouldn't be able to make another game with $20k. I might think of myself as a failure of a developer and just give up.

The next thing I did was start to re-do my design to match the movement of the video game industry. The problem was that I designed everything specifically because I wanted to be successful, and so I started to come off as like a slimy marketing guru of some sort, where all of my ideas came from dreams of moneybags rather than from the heart.

I hated that so the next thing I did was realize that a truly successful indie game comes purely from the heart, but also takes into consideration the business side of things to make certain types of decisions. So come up with a bunch of ideas from the heart that you would want to work on, but also keep a lot of these ideas in mind: https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/RyanClark/20150917/253842/What_Makes_an_Indie_Hit_How_to_Choose_the_Right_Design.php

As far as what "from the heart" means, that's really hard to define. You have to love it a lot. Sometimes it's not something that's inherently popular, but if you really go hard on the idea and put a ton of effort into it then people learn to respect and love it as much as you do. So in the end, you get to make the game you want to make, with the weirdo characters and everything, but just following some underlying rules to make sure it will be financially successful and allow you to make another game in the future.

Think of it a bit like music composition. You can be purely experimental with no knowledge of music theory and "accidentally" create something really cool (but your chances are very low), you can be purely academic and strictly follow the rules of music theory which will result in something rather bland but technically pretty okay (everyone will like it but nobody will love or hate it - a sure failure for an indie game), or you can be experimental while keeping some of the music theory rules and techniques in the back of your mind during the process (similar to being purely experimental but with a much higher likelihood of success).

I think "being weird" is one of the best things you can do as an indie developer. On the previous page I posted a link to a talk by the lead designer of MTG. In it, he talks about a lot of these things, so really if you're making games I absolutely recommend you watch that video. And don't just stop there, because there's so much else to learn about everything. Balance how much "learning" you do with how much "doing" you do though. You can learn forever but as you learn more you start to second-guess the things you've already created. Eventually you need to enter a "creative" mode where you just create until something is finished. After that, you can learn again between projects.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 05:24:15 AM by eidobunny » Logged

♫ December, ♫
♫ December. ♫
Stricle
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: September 17, 2017, 05:57:57 AM »

I dodged the spoiler section of your post but I just wanted to chime in on the idea of the game never getting finished and worrying too much.

I liked the fact you avoided the spoilers XD (sadly, I won't get your help with it)

I have read the post and watched the video (the post I've read more than once). They give some great advise.

Drawing lines is always hard, often I come up with a weird idea and wonder "is it too weird?". Because I want people to like it too, not only me.

I once made a game just for money... it flopped so hard, I don't even talk about it anymore.

I think "being weird" is one of the best things you can do as an indie developer. On the previous page I posted a link to a talk by the lead designer of MTG. In it, he talks about a lot of these things, so really if you're making games I absolutely recommend you watch that video. And don't just stop there, because there's so much else to learn about everything. Balance how much "learning" you do with how much "doing" you do though. You can learn forever but as you learn more you start to second-guess the things you've already created. Eventually you need to enter a "creative" mode where you just create until something is finished. After that, you can learn again between projects.

This is something interesting. In the beginning I've spent too much time learning things, but now I spend most of the time "creating the knowledge".

At first I wanted to make the next indie hit, but that's not something possible to do consciously. Now, I try to forget about the possible money I'll earn with the game because, statistically, I'll flop anyway.
This thought in spite of being quite grim, gives me the freedom to make something truly from the heart.

My biggest goals are (in order):
1) Make something I'll be proud of
2) Make something people will love

I don't know if I'll make another game so I can't take Private Party fully as a learning experience. On the other hand, It's being like 1,5 years and I still don't have a demo! So if I want to finish it before I hit the 30's I need to leave it not 100% perfect (it's impossible, anyway).

Sometimes I get myself thinking of how my life would be if my game sold like 1M copies. It would be great, but if
1 M people pirated but enjoyed the game, I still would be fulfilled (a little upset too).

It was great the music metaphor of yours, btw.

*sorry the text is a bit confusing, I kinda rushed it

breakfastbat
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 17, 2017, 06:10:03 AM »

I'll comment on any spoiler sections when its in a demo for me to play haha

I'm really avoiding posting any spoilers about my game which unfortunately is about 100% of the stuff I've been working on for the past 6 months. What's a story-based game if you spoil it really?

And yeah some of us don't have time or money for a "learning experience," we have to make something that will be successful and if it isn't, that's it. There is no next game. So for some of us taking the extra time to get the design right is very important.

By the way I'm going to turn 29 around the time my demo comes out. Originally I wanted to finish the game before I turned 30, but that's no longer a priority for me haha.

Also same for me on the demo front. It's going to be my two-year anniversary of development when my first demo gets released. Better late than never, I say. I've always been a late bloomer in all respects so I'm used to it haha.

Also here's a minor spoiler for my game, in the credits I'm going to thank all of the pirates who stole my game.

♫ December, ♫
♫ December. ♫
Stricle
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: September 17, 2017, 08:39:46 AM »

I'm really avoiding posting any spoilers about my game which unfortunately is about 100% of the stuff I've been working on for the past 6 months. What's a story-based game if you spoil it really?

You just convinced me to take out the yellow super spoilerly piece of my post.

I always thought you were like 22, Idk.

My goal is to finish the game before my graduation (about the end of 2019). I'm not sure if I will though.

I have a cool idea that might boost the marketing of my game about piracy. But I can't tell you yet. It's a private idea. (get it?)

breakfastbat
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 17, 2017, 08:44:37 AM »

You just convinced me to take out the yellow super spoilerly piece of my post.

I always thought you were like 22, Idk.

My goal is to finish the game before my graduation (about the end of 2019). I'm not sure if I will though.

I have a cool idea that might boost the marketing of my game about piracy. But I can't tell you yet. It's a private idea. (get it?)

I'm 22 at heart haha

I don't know what you mean by this:

I have a cool idea that might boost the marketing of my game about piracy.

Like, you have an idea regarding piracy that might boost the popularity of your game?

I've heard of some games where the developers release their own pirated version on torrent sites but they change some things in that version. Sometimes the developers do malicious things to punish pirates, other times they do hilarious things to troll pirates. I briefly considered this idea but I just don't really care. Pirates are going to pirate, you can't stop that lol.

I remember pirating a game when I was a kid and the title music was replaced with "You are a pirate" from Lazy Town lmao

♫ December, ♫
♫ December. ♫
Stricle
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: September 17, 2017, 09:06:19 AM »

Like, you have an idea regarding piracy that might boost the popularity of your game?

Yes. Sorry for the bad english. (Why am I making a story-driven RPG?)

Yeah, Earthbound itself had some nice ways to deal with piracy.

But, I'll do something much less subtle. (I'm almost giving it away.)
Besides, it won't be something trying to avoid pirates (they are better than me with programming and stuff, anyway).
I'll be just laughing with the pirates.

breakfastbat
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 17, 2017, 09:20:35 AM »

Speaking of spoilers, I'm going to take the time to talk about Undertale's approach to spoilers, because I think it was very good.

Now you can actually go back and read every single one of Toby's tweets on the Undertale account. Why do I say that? Because it's actually reasonable to read them all in a single sitting - that is, he doesn't tweet that much. Since launching his Undertale Twitter in 2013, he only tweeted 223 times. Just 60 times between the end of his Kickstarter May 2013 and his game's launch in September 2015. Just twice a month.

Just two days in advance of the release of his final game he finally unveiled Undyne as a character, in a mysterious tweet https://twitter.com/UnderTale/status/643172238724866049

His content posts were always extremely vague and didn't reveal very much. Here's pretty much his only content update in the first year: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1002143342/undertale/posts/888894

Here's all that was revealed from Hotland/Core before release (aside from the release trailer) https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1002143342/undertale/posts/970358

Here's the extent of the spoilers he posted regarding items and other things https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1002143342/undertale/posts/1216923

I won't post any more of the Kickstarter updates but if you go through them you'll notice he barely reveals anything and just posts a lot of vague terminology. This is more or less the approach I decided to go for in my game.

So what DO you reveal and how can you get people excited? Decide on a part of your game that people can play. For Undertale, that was the beginning of the game. It doesn't have to be the beginning. It doesn't even have to be part of the final game (re: your earlier idea). But give them a -finished product- that represents what the rest of the game will be like. I wouldn't bother releasing a public demo if it didn't represent the final game. Developers like me can give you the feedback you're looking for when the game is still in extraordinarily early stages of development.

There are other things you can reveal. Try to keep it vague and mysterious. Watch the Undertale trailer and pay attention to everything he decided to show that wasn't part of the demo. There are actually a lot of things! But they go by quickly and you don't get the greater context, which at least for me makes me want to play it and find out what it's all about. Worth noting, the release trailer was posted one week before release. Up until the release trailer, people really only saw the demo area and a couple REALLY tiny snippets of the other areas.

♫ December, ♫
♫ December. ♫
Stricle
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: September 17, 2017, 09:59:16 AM »

I wanted to take this approach, but I don't know if it will work.
I mean, how can I make people know my game exists?

I don't know how Toby Fox managed to get a super successful kickstarter campaign in the first place. Was it because of the demo? Halloween hack? That Earthbound site?

Honestly, I'm disappointed with the amount of people that follows my game. You all are great, but you're so few.
I have like 24 followers on twitter...

Is it a sign that my game isn't appealing? Or it's just my game that is too early in development?
If I run a crowdfunding campaign I will get more followers? Or I'll just flop harder?

I may sound hopeless or something, but it's not the case. Inside I feel like everyone will love the game once they play it.
However, I can't ignore those facts.

What do you say? Does it make sense?

breakfastbat
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 17, 2017, 10:32:29 AM »

This is exactly the kind of thing you have to think about! So it's good to be working on your plan of attack now and not later.

I would say there are about 3 routes to popularity.

1) Work hard enough and long enough on a project, showing an endless amount of commitment and love until more and more people discover it. Most popular projects rely on this method.

2) Already be known for something. Probably the only reason Bloodstained is as well-known as it is is because of Koji Igarashi's name attached to it (creator of Castlevania).

3) By some miracle get some famous Youtuber/streamer to pick it up. People like PewDiePie, Markiplier, JackSepticEye, etc. If you can impress them, you will impress their millions of followers who will then go buy your game or at least pirate it and tell their friends about it.

So pretty much we can only influence #1 right? So just keep working, keep making content, keep posting things that you can. You can post GIFs and art and development updates on Twitter. Make them short, to-the-point, and avoid spoilers if possible. Choose what you can reveal without spoiling too much. Read this: https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/BundyKim/20160707/276365/Marketing_in_Motion_A_Year_of_Making_Gifs.php

People didn't really care about Undertale for the longest time, even after the Kickstarter. It didn't really pick up speed until a month or two after its release, actually. So don't fret too much if your game isn't super popular yet. Just keep making it until you have enough content for people to really start falling in love with it. Neither of us are there yet, so we just have to keep working until we are.

How did Toby Fox have such a successful Kickstarter? Couple things. One, he was previously doing music for Homestuck, so he got a huge surge of popularity from the Homestuck community. That falls into category #2 from earlier. Two, he had a really novel idea that makes for a great game pitch. The friendly RPG where nobody has to get hurt. In our current social climate, this was absolutely what a huge swath of the internet community wanted to see. I call this doing the right thing at the right time. It involves a little bit of luck and a really creative idea. Three, he really took his time with writing his characters and his dialogue and the branching paths of game states depending on your choices. It just made you feel like he cared. And because you felt like the developer cared so much, you believed in his project that much more, and were more willing to donate and tell your friends about it. Lastly, his Kickstarter was in 2013, the latter half of the golden age of Kickstarter when it was new and before the novelty wore off and people weren't jaded about slimy developers never following through on their promises. Almost all projects during this time received 5-10x as much money as they would receive today.

I would say pixel art games have a really hard time taking off, but that doesn't mean they're not worth the time required to create them. It's just hard to convince anyone that you're any good if you're just showing simple pixel art. A lot of complete amateurs just do pixel art because they see it as the easiest thing to do and they make a lot of bad games which tarnishes the reputation of pixel art in general. I collected a huge amount of followers just posting high-res digital art for my game. People believe in that stuff. My problem was that I was marketing a game that didn't exist yet, so I just stopped posting that sort of stuff for now. My point is that I found it was a lot easier for me to get likes/retweets/follows when I was posting high-res art compared to my friends that are just posting pixel art. It didn't take a lot of content, but just a little bit of high-quality content. Eh. I won't be doing any more high-res promo art until Kickstarter/release time though. Feels like I built a lot of people up but then just sort of disappeared. Building hype is good but a hype train has to be executed in a very particular way. Most people don't want to wait more than 2-3 months after getting hype for something, so for now focus on your tight-knit following and maybe posting GIFs to #gamedev or whatever occasionally to get more people interested. Not a lot of people are going to invest in watching a game develop for several years and that's okay. It doesn't necessarily indicate a failing project. You just haven't made it to critical mass in terms of content and gameplay yet. When your battle system is done and your characters are a little more fleshed out, you'll probably be there.

I feel like I should be making some greater point here but that's just kind of it from me for now.

I guess the only thing I have left to add is this: try not to get noticed before your game is in a state where you're showing the final product. One thing I hate is when people give me a shoutout like "check out this guy's game it's going to be awesome" but I don't have anything for anyone to look at yet. It's like man, what a bad impression of both me and the person shouting me out. I mean I believe my game is going to be awesome but I haven't showed that yet so until I'm ready I just want people to forget about me.

♫ December, ♫
♫ December. ♫
Stricle
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: September 17, 2017, 10:59:11 AM »

OMG ,that's a great text-answer!

I didn't know that article. It's simple but pretty useful (made me realize some mistakes I've already made in my few GIFS)

How did Toby Fox have such a successful Kickstarter? Couple things. One, he was previously doing music for Homestuck, so he got a huge surge of popularity from the Homestuck community. That falls into category #2 from earlier. Two, he had a really novel idea that makes for a great game pitch. The friendly RPG where nobody has to get hurt. In our current social climate, this was absolutely what a huge swath of the internet community wanted to see. I call this doing the right thing at the right time. It involves a little bit of luck and a really creative idea. Three, he really took his time with writing his characters and his dialogue and the branching paths of game states depending on your choices. It just made you feel like he cared. And because you felt like the developer cared so much, you believed in his project that much more, and were more willing to donate and tell your friends about it. Lastly, his Kickstarter was in 2013, the latter half of the golden age of Kickstarter when it was new and before the novelty wore off and people weren't jaded about slimy developers never following through on their promises. Almost all projects during this time received 5-10x as much money as they would receive today.

That's the greatest answer I could ask for (and I completely forgot about homestuck). After so many failed crowdfunding campaigns it will be a little harder to get people's trust. But I think it's just a matter of showing quality and passion, right?

Not a lot of people are going to invest in watching a game develop for several years and that's okay.

Wow! That's so true. Your whole text gave me a different approach with this whole followers thing.

For now on, I won't worry about it. I'll keep posting updates once in a while, ask for some feedback and stuff but, without stressing about its outcome.

Thanks!!

*Sorry for the small answer

swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: September 17, 2017, 10:09:43 PM »

Honestly, I'm disappointed with the amount of people that follows my game. You all are great, but you're so few.

Is it a sign that my game isn't appealing? Or it's just my game that is too early in development?
If I run a crowdfunding campaign I will get more followers? Or I'll just flop harder?

I may sound hopeless or something, but it's not the case. Inside I feel like everyone will love the game once they play it.

It looks like you're already on the right path judging from your last post but I just wanted to add a bit! There are probably more people interested in your game on tigsource than you think. There's a good chance people see what your doing but just don't have anything meaningful to say. At least, that's how I work and probably some others, most of the time if I have nothing beyond "wow, cool!" I don't post.

Then there's plenty of topics I've never seen before that have several posts in them because it just so happens I check the first page of the devlog section after enough topics have been posted in to where it's on the second page... then I happen to stumble upon it and really dig what they developers are doing. I'm sure others have experienced this.

I'm not too familiar with twitter so I have nothing to say to that other than 24 followers is just the beginning. Smiley Building a following takes time and it requires a lot of luck. Don't take it as a sign that your game has no appeal! But I can't really give advice as I'm pretty much a nobody as well.

As I said it will be a slow process but it'll get there as long as you have something interesting! Which I think Private Party is, I'm pretty intrigued by it and I love seeing more about it when you have updates! (those screenshots from earlier were fantastic, by the way!)

However there's a really big problem with developing indie games in general. It's next to impossible to just get noticed, even if you have a high quality project with impeccable presentation. What becomes a hit or miss is mostly decided by what the great random number generator in the sky decides. Maybe you can take solace in knowing that we're all in the same boat? XD

The only time I'm pretty sure that this isn't the case is if you were making an adult game, where a higher quality product is much more likely to be noticed and shared than a low quality product for uh... obvious reasons.

Just keep at and make the best game you can make! I think it'll come a lot more easily once you have more to show, like one really good gameplay video showcasing important aspects of the game and what it'll be like. I can't wait until then! (by the way is too late to ask for access to that demo? I'd love to give it a try when it's ready!)

breakfastbat
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 18, 2017, 02:11:59 PM »

However there's a really big problem with developing indie games in general. It's next to impossible to just get noticed, even if you have a high quality project with impeccable presentation. What becomes a hit or miss is mostly decided by what the great random number generator in the sky decides. Maybe you can take solace in knowing that we're all in the same boat? XD

I strongly disagree with this point of view which I think is rather pervasive in the game development community. Luck plays a role but a much smaller role than a lot of people think it does. The way I see it, luck separates great successes from viral successes, but not failures from successes. If you're failing, it's because your design isn't right, or your writing or gameplay isn't as good as you think it is, etc. Read this article and watch this video to get a crash course in influencing the success of an indie project

https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/RyanClark/20150917/253842/What_Makes_an_Indie_Hit_How_to_Choose_the_Right_Design.php

♫ December, ♫
♫ December. ♫
Stricle
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: September 18, 2017, 03:12:48 PM »

Hello, swordofkings128!

I'm super glad you're still around, following my devlog silently.

Thanks for your support! It's really great. I'm even less worried about all this followers thing now.

You're right about people that often follow devlogs but don't say anything, in fact, I do this when I can't think of anything useful to say as well. XD

(by the way is too late to ask for access to that demo? I'd love to give it a try when it's ready!)

It's never too late!Actually, sometimes it IS to late, but it's not the case.
As soon as I make the second playtest, you'll get the build too!

Eidobunny, I like your way of seeing it. Because, feeling out of control of my game's success doesn't please me much (even though it may be the case).
some time ago, some random stranger said on reddit: "Hard work sells". I'm using this as motivation.

swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 18, 2017, 04:40:50 PM »

I strongly disagree with this point of view which I think is rather pervasive in the game development community. Luck plays a role but a much smaller role than a lot of people think it does. The way I see it, luck separates great successes from viral successes, but not failures from successes. If you're failing, it's because your design isn't right, or your writing or gameplay isn't as good as you think it is, etc. Read this article and watch this video to get a crash course in influencing the success of an indie project

https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/RyanClark/20150917/253842/What_Makes_an_Indie_Hit_How_to_Choose_the_Right_Design.php

Ah yeah I've read that article before! I stumbled upon it sometime ago when googling tips on coming up with a good name. It's good to read it again. But never seen the video, thanks for sharing! I'll give it a listen.

And I'll take what I said back about having a hit being mostly luck based! :p But I wouldn't say it plays a small role... Maybe a medium sized role.

Thank you for putting me on the list! Can't wait to try it out :D

Stricle
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: September 18, 2017, 05:21:55 PM »

Thank you for putting me on the list! Can't wait to try it out :D

Thank YOU for helping me! XD

The build may take a while to be done, though. I'm kind of stuck deciding some things about the battle system...

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic