Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411562 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 09:57:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTectonic - unique puzzle game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Tectonic - unique puzzle game  (Read 1150 times)
andrew-101
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 07, 2012, 05:08:13 AM »

In Tectonic, you don't directly control the actor. Rather, you rearrange the level while the actor moves through it, moving obstacles out of the path of the actor.

The level is rearranged by sliding the rows and columns around. Several different block types exist to make gameplay more dynamic.

I plan to publish the game for android before the year is over, with a possibility of publishing on iOS.

Anyway,

I would love to have some feedback, especially negative feedback. Tell me whats wrong.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 01:26:16 AM by andrew-101 » Logged

2D puzzle game: tectonicgame.com
andrew-101
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 03:23:21 AM »

I decided that I want this game to progress through different areas as the game follows a story, so I started working on some new tiles.

This new tileset is more complex than the previous one and I had to create an auto tile system so all the edges line up nicely.

I'm not particularly happy with the border tiles at the moment, nor with the grass, or the palette for that matter. I was more focused on getting the auto tiling system to work.

My next task will be to integrate the level into the background - I want the player to walk into the level and then the border snaps up, trapping the player until the level is completed.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 03:31:02 AM by andrew-101 » Logged

andrew-101
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 12:12:01 AM »

I didn't have much spare time over the last two weeks, this week is looking promising though, I should be able to get out some nice updates.

Since the last update, I made some changes to the tileset

And I added some nice transitions to level changes, which can be seen in the following video:

I've decided to not go with my previous idea of integrating the level into the background.

iammonshushu
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 05:04:01 AM »

Your game looks good and you should feel good.
(\/)(;,,;)(\/)

psyguy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 07:54:59 AM »

This looks pretty neat.  I definitely like the overall look of the graphics; the more detailed stone / rock textures, in particular, look nice!  I think the foreground / background could fit in together better, though; they both look good on their own, but the level seems to "float" in the middle of the screen rather than exist within the background itself, if that makes sense.  Smiley

The nature of the game (along with the puzzle design) allow for a lot of creativity in the puzzle solving.  I think that's a really strong trait for any puzzle game.  I did have a little bit of trouble with the controls, playing the web-based demo on a PC.  It looks like the game doesn't immediately "obey" the mouse movement, possibly as a way of making sure that's what you really want to do.  However, that means that when the mouse cursor reaches the row / column I want to move to, the stuff I'm dragging is a little "behind" and ends up one row / column short, sometimes.  (This might all be just something on my end, or related to the PC/mouse-based setup.)

The game did seem pretty hard to me.  I would have loved the option to stop the ball and move parts of the level around outside of real time.  That'd probably conflict with half of the point of the game, though.  Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic