Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411563 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 02:46:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsmission: infiltrate. (topdown 2D shooter for android & PC's)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: mission: infiltrate. (topdown 2D shooter for android & PC's)  (Read 1630 times)
GalaethGames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: September 10, 2012, 03:11:48 PM »

About Me
My games under the name of sionco. I'm a bedroom coder and I'm trying to complete my first full game.  I'm not a great programmer, so any encouragement would be greatly appreciated, as sometimes my lack of programming skills demotivate me.
I've made some small silly games in the past such as hangman and some 'joke' games for android:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=sionco but never anything of any quantity.[/url]

mission: infiltrate

What is it?

mission: infiltrate is a 2D overhead shooter.  The player controls a special agent who's aim is to gain access to military installations and buildings and complete various missions such as finding secret documents or rescuing prisoners.   The player can either do this with maximum fire power, or try and minimize contact by sneaking past guards and turning off alarms.

I'm not the greatest artist and I'm first concentrating on getting a basic game setup, where the player has to complete the objectives and not get killed.  And then I'll try and put in some cool features.

What Platform?

It is primarily aimed at Android mobile phones/tables, but if it's good enough, I'd like to release it for Windows and Linux PC's with the level editor that I've made included.

It's aimed at android mobiles (but hopefully also for Windows and Linux computers.).

What does it look like?

Blog: http://sionco.blogspot.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/sionco/260051356533

Current Progress
Updated in posts below

Feature Wishlist
  • To be a fun little pick-up and play game.
  • Guards patrol and are alerted when the player sets an alarm of or shoots their weapon.
  • Many different missions in different environments.
  • Different objectives, such as take a photo of documents, find secret plans, rescue the prisoner.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 10:54:22 AM by sionco » Logged

GalaethGames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 09:45:19 AM »

A Youtube video of the current progress:

(is there a way to load you tube videos here directly?)
or on the blog: http://sionco.blogspot.com.es/2012/09/mission-infiltrate-video-update.html

Update:
  • The basic game structure is now complete.  The level is completed when the player reaches the exit point with all objectives completed.  (objectives at the moment only include find secret documents/plans).
  • Messages of what is happening are displayed on the screen, such as "the alarm has been set off"
  • Can deactivate the laser alarms via the computers
  • Can open doors by finding security key cards. (different ones for different doors)
  • A basic level/mission select screen (needs a lot of improvement
  • Tested on a samsung galaxy ace android phone/windows and linux. works fine at the moment

GalaethGames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 08:45:40 AM »

Today, I've started the difficult part of the game, the enemies.

Right now I've got the enemies being set to 'kill' if the player walks near them.
 Currently, when an enemy is set to kill, he just turns to look at the player and shoots at him.  This has been implemented today (as shown in the screenshot below):

Eventually, the guards will follow the player, and will only be set to alert or 'kill' mode if the player enters their line/cone of sight.

Plus some fixes as shown on my blog:
http://sionco.blogspot.com.es/2012/09/mission-infiltrate-start-of-enemies.html

GalaethGames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 04:52:50 AM »

Update.

I've added a basic cone of sight to the enemies which set's them to shoot at the player.  (Although at the moment they can see through walls, but will be easily fixed).

Blogpost:http://sionco.blogspot.com/2012/09/mission-infiltrate-enemies-cone-of-sight.html

GalaethGames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 09:27:47 AM »

Now, I've made nearly everthing destructable.
Objects such as tables and metal containers will need an impossible amount of bullets to destroy them, but other objects such as the enemies and computer can be destroyed easily.

Other Updates;
enemies move towards player and attack when they see him.
reloading period of weapons added.

Another room:
Although I'm still not sure whether each mission will be one full screen level like the one below, or many smaller rooms. Because the room is scaled, such as, on a mobile you will only see part of the big level, whereas on a large screen computer you probably will be able to see most of the level, (because at 800x600 you can see half of the level)

andrew-101
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 12:11:40 AM »

Progress looks good, I used to enjoy playing games similar to this.

I think your game would benefit from some pathing for the player, especially if its to be played on a touch screen device.

2D puzzle game: tectonicgame.com
GalaethGames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 05:14:46 AM »

Progress looks good, I used to enjoy playing games similar to this.

I think your game would benefit from some pathing for the player, especially if its to be played on a touch screen device.

Thanks for for the compliment and the suggestion!

Regarding the suggestion do you mean pathfinding to where the player clicks/touches?  As at this moment the soldier moves directly to where has been clicked.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 06:06:55 AM by sionco » Logged

GalaethGames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 06:22:00 AM »

Updates:

• I've improved the line of sight so enemies can't see through walls, but needs a lot of work I think, or redoing, as currently it's not working all the time.
  • I have a mission briefing screen, as well as mission success and mission failed screens.
  • Added a little health bar (but, the graphics need work, yes).
  • and some minor fixes, as explained in my blog: sionco.blogspot.com

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 07:26:33 AM »

looks cool  Smiley

seeing as it's on android, how will the controls work? on-screen thumbstick? tap to move?
GalaethGames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 07:40:44 AM »

Thanks for the compliment! Smiley
At the moment, it's tap to move, as well as a button at the bottom to shoot, which seems to work fine on my phone.
For PC, I'm thinking of having the right mouse button to shoot, as it's too much work to keep moving the mouse down to the shoot button

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 08:50:22 AM »

what was that ikiki game called? help me, i am old now
GalaethGames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 09:11:50 AM »

sorry no idea, and never played it.

Pages: [1]
Print