Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411633 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58448 Members - Latest Member: wcored

May 13, 2024, 05:00:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingKeyman Gameplay Prototype (Feedback)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Keyman Gameplay Prototype (Feedback)  (Read 811 times)
PiotrMi
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 19, 2012, 10:16:34 AM »

Hi,
I created a tiny flash puzzle platformer. Your goal is it to collect keys with which you can open certain doors. Currently it is very uncomplete and there is just a small gameplay prototype. It would be great if you could test the game (just 5 levels, so should not take too much time) and give me feedback on the gameplay. Note that the graphics are only placeholders so do not take them into account.

Game link: http://www.kongregate.com/games/PiotrMi/keyman-gameplay-prototype

Thanks,

Adam
Justsometoast
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 03:58:02 PM »

It's hard to give feedback on such an early prototype since i don't have any idea where you plan on taking this concept.

What direction were you planning to head with this game?

Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 03:33:22 AM »

Why does the background suddenly move when I get near the middle of the room? It looks really strange/glitchy.

If I jump, it lets me jump again in the air endlessly as long as I hit my head on the ceiling and don't fall too far before trying to jump again. That seems like a bug.

Gravity when wall-jumping seems really low for some reason.

As for the gameplay, like Justsometoast said, it's hard to give good feedback without knowing what you want to do. I will say that it's not a very fun game at this point. There's no challenge whatsoever and some aspects of the level design seemed pointless (doors that didn't need to be there, for example).

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
Ankmannen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 09:39:04 AM »

Nice start, I like the feel of the game play and especially the wall jumping/gliding. But as pointed out earlier, I think you need some more depth than just collecting keys. As of now you can just move randomly until you solve the level.

Don't know if any of this helped but I'll happily try it again later on.

// AnkMannen

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 09:41:19 AM »

And here I thought this was a game where you play as a key and have to jump into the locked doors, at which point you get another key to jump around with. >_>
PiotrMi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 04:08:45 AM »

I try to respond to everyone:

@Justsometoast: I thought of puzzles about opening doors with special keys not more. But I´m not sure if I really understand your question. What do you mean with direction?

@Quicksand-S: The prototype you played was built out of an example kit of Stencyl. I just wanted to try out some gamplay mechanics so thats the reason why the game is pretty buggy. The "doors to nowhere" should have been the challange. If you don´t think good, you use your last key on the false door and have to restart the level.

@AnkMannen: I think you (and the others) are right about the point of depth. The game is too simple and the challenges (the dead ends) are not really challenging at all. Though I have no idea how I could add depth to the game (without adding completely new mechanics).

@Udderdude: Nice idea! I think I will try to create a small prototype of this gameplay idea.

Thanks for all your help,

Adam
Justsometoast
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 07:39:24 AM »

What would be nice is the ability to throw and catch keys. It would spice up some otherwise simplistic and repetitive gameplay.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic