Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 05, 2024, 02:40:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSadmoons: Clouds of Melancholy
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Sadmoons: Clouds of Melancholy  (Read 1942 times)
Kaworu Nagisa
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: July 04, 2009, 04:48:06 PM »

http://sadmoons.com/games/clouds-of-melancholy/

Enjoy  Gentleman

Bugs/comments/etc. please post in this thread or drop me a mail at kaworu (at) sadmoons.com

muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 05:24:53 PM »

This looks very very interesting, and I'd like to give it a try, but the text on the main menu(?) and the pre-game screen is so small/dark as to be practically illegible.

I managed to click through to the first game scene but got stuck pretty quickly, and anyway it's probably pointless to play an "inner experimental visual novel" without being able to read the introduction.

Small nitpick: the audible pause when the rain sound loops is quite jarring.
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 05:34:30 PM »

Haha he just said 'breast'.

And Muku needs to calibrate his monitor.
It's poetic and seems interesting, but I don't think my attention span can handle it. Crazy

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 05:41:38 PM »

Hey I won! Durr...? I mean, not won, but finished the game.
I think I missed a secret, having to do with the portrait on the wall.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 06:18:40 PM »

Interesting...

The art worked for the most part, but the childish drawings of his family strongly undercut what was meant to be an emotional moment.

The parts where the censor faded into his next destination worked, but the parts where he slides were awkward without a walking animation.

Was there any reason you changed the control scheme so often in the game? The drag-and-drop section particularly seemed out of place in terms of suspension of disbelief. You might want to look at agj's Heart for inspiration.

It's difficult to give weight to a climactic moment without knowing the censor's life beforehand. The prose lacked detail and specifics, so I found it hard to see him as a person and not just a displaced character from 1984.

I hope this doesn't come off as discouraging. It's really cool that you're doing a series of short games exploring a new world. Best of luck!

mountainmohawk
Level 0

Professional Slacker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 07:31:35 PM »

Hmm, I liked it. I feel that the music was awesome for the game. I'm not quite sure I understand what happens (or happened) in the game though? Can someone explain it to me?

I'm freakin pumped! I've been drinking green tea all goddang day!
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 08:04:29 PM »

I'm not quite sure I understand what happens (or happened) in the game though? Can someone explain it to me?

The main character is a censor in the vein of 1984, a man employed by an oppressive government to restrict the speech and writing of others. After losing his family, he begins to reconsider his career and his ideals.

frekir
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 11:42:41 PM »

Too depressing for my taste, but it played well I thought. Hand Thumbs Up Left
Dr.Melon
Level 0

Randomized Programming

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 01:58:20 AM »

I feel this is more of an interactive story than a game, as such. Brilliantly made though.  Coffee
johnnoz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 06:35:07 PM »

pretty interesting, only real problems are the lack of animation for the main character and the sound not being put together slightly sloppily. Also the size of the 'pixels' used changes, something which personally irritates me (but i doubt is a problem for anyone else XD) another thing would be some of the fonts being at a waaay higher resolution then the pixels on the screen at the time.

Overall a very interesting experience which, with a little less vagueness, would have been very moving. Nice work.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic