Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411588 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 08:44:59 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesNintendo 3DS
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 107
Print
Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS  (Read 249646 times)
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2010, 03:35:51 AM »

I've decided I wouldn't believe anything until April 3rd. If this is still around on that day, I'll think about it.

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2010, 05:51:00 AM »

(Note that if you only place things on even pixels and have no anti aliasing, you get a limit of how close the z layers can be, but there's no limit on the number of layers other than the actual width of the screen)

This is one thing that potentially worries me; a decent 3D effect would ideally need higher resolution. Maybe 512x384 on each screen, so the old DS games can just have a clean 2x scale.

Zenorf
Level 1

Because it had to be done

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2010, 05:58:42 AM »

Like all new gaming platforms. Unless I'm going to be working on it prior to release, I'm just going to wait and see what it really has to offer, but even though I only picked up a DSi in January I still welcome a new console this christmas if it offers something particularly new.

I like Gaming. New console = new fun. (PSP being an obvious exception)

Failure is not an option, but it's always a possibility.

www.radiationburn.net
Notch
Level 2

Trying to forget 320x200 in favor of 320x240.

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2010, 07:06:20 AM »

PSP being an obvious exception)

I actually started playing PSP games quite a lot when I got the PSP Go. I find it to be almost the perfect handheld gaming device. Well.. until the Pandora comes out. :D
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2010, 07:10:03 AM »

I dislike the PSP, if only because it has a hardware failure rate close to Xbox 360.

It breaks if you look at it wrong, and I hear the PSPGo has the same issue.

I'd like to have a PSP and a DS, but any handheld I use has to be able to take a beating, and Nintendo systems can survive just about anything... except for those shoulder buttons on older DSs.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Enshoku
Level 1

woooo~

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2010, 09:00:17 AM »

My little brother's psp is bricked, and the warranty is currently void, so its definitely  got issues, I don't know about the pspgo though, I'm sure they would have at least learned somewhat of their hardware flaws by now.
Zenorf
Level 1

Because it had to be done

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2010, 09:37:43 AM »

The PSPgo is pretty flimsy but thankfully it has fewer mechanical parts to break and is significantly lighter and smaller.

I once accidentally threw my DS across the road. It had a few little scratches on the right shoulder button. They are pretty tough in general as long as you don't use sharp objects on the touch screen.

Failure is not an option, but it's always a possibility.

www.radiationburn.net
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2010, 12:39:56 PM »

I dislike the PSP, if only because it has a hardware failure rate close to Xbox 360.
Interestingly, I've had both a 360 and a PSP for several years and I haven't experienced any hardware issues. Guess I'm lucky.  Wink
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2010, 12:44:16 PM »

Now you are cursed for having saying that   Screamy
My bro said that and the same day he got ROD  Epileptic
My colleague said the same and right after the console ROD  Crazy

Never ever call, never ever upset the ROD god  Concerned
I'll pray for your xbox soul  Droop

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2010, 12:57:28 PM »

Oh shit.  Screamy

Glad I play my PS3 more.
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2010, 01:25:01 PM »

I'm a little surprised by all the PSP hate. The PSP WAS a mistake, but not because of any real failing of the system itself. It's that Sony messed up with the direction that they wanted to take the PSP in, and a lot of this was reflected in the systm's design. The PSP Go is more of what the PSP should have been initially. But thanks to the existence of the original PSP, no one is buying the PSP Go.

The primary issue with the original PSP can be summed up in one short phrase...

"UMDs were a bad idea"

I've actually enjoyed playing my PSP quite a bit. When it sticks to more traditional game types, (predominately 2D controls) it can actually be a lot of fun. As a portable media machine it is one of the better ones available. Sony's focus on pushing UMDs were what hamstrung the system. It was through that outlet that the PSP was originally hacked. And the rest is history.
[RM8]
Level 10

☆☆☆☆☆

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2010, 02:27:12 PM »

^ All the consoles get some hate, I don't think the PSP gets nearly as much hate as the Wii. Almost every console to date has a decent amount of games I'd like to play (I even owned a N-Gage), I don't get console bashing  Shrug
Enshoku
Level 1

woooo~

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2010, 02:39:07 PM »

And the wii hate was nothing compared to the gamecube...hate? I guess it was more mockery than hate, but the little cube who could probably got dealt the worst rep sheet of any system in the last 15 or so years.
genericuser
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2010, 02:40:19 PM »

I don't get console bashing  Shrug

Console bashing happens because people are afraid that their gaming console will suddenly stop being fun because some guys on the Internet said so.

Ain't much more to it than that.
TwilightVulpine
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2010, 02:40:27 PM »

And the wii hate was nothing compared to the gamecube...hate? I guess it was more mockery than hate, but the little cube who could probably got dealt the worst rep sheet of any system in the last 15 or so years.

Did Gamecube deserve it? It seeemed to be a good console to me.
Enshoku
Level 1

woooo~

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2010, 03:05:28 PM »

Did Gamecube deserve it? It seeemed to be a good console to me.
It didn't deserve most of it, but the technology was outclassed so much by both the ps2 and xbox that it became an easy target. Throw in the fact that it had a relatively low amount of M games and high amount of E rated games, it was made into what the wii seems to be in reality: A console designed with children in mind. Nintendo decided to stick with that image when producing the wii, and wiis sold like discount crack. I suppose nintendo wins in the end anyways, what with all that mad bank they have to woo the ladies now.
TheDustin
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2010, 03:14:52 PM »

Erm, correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that the PS2 was the least technologically-powered console of that generation. I think the problem for that system was that Nintendo didn't supply enough AAA first-party titles -- Sunshine came too little too late and Wind Waker was meh. The Prime series I didn't really care for but my little brother swears by it.

I just hope that this new-fangled system, whatever it is, has an actual analog stick. Otherwise it's 3D (i.e. polygons) will be a moot point if you only have the rigid control of a directional pad.

(Now we'll have the semantics of polygons and full-blown 3D when discussing the system. For once I'm happy it's a point of contention.)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2010, 03:39:43 PM »

Well from a development point the PS2 was the nightmare, the GC was much interesting in term of balance and had a better architecture. And there was a lot of trick you could pull to get more. Actually game looked better on GC than In ps2. Most misunderstanding came from the shader on the wii which was exotic, prompting people to say you could not a lot of effect. But the truth is you could, and actually it was more powerful than shader at the same time. Proof, wii game can pull them, and what is the wii BUT a GC with double speed, double memory and double "shader buffer".

Actually most early game look worse on PS2 than in dreamcast due to memory problem with PS2 (hint less that DC).

EDIT: but yeah nintendo was pretty much sleepy during the GC and early WII days.

Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2010, 03:53:11 PM »

The Gamecube and the Dreamcast were much maligned systems that both deserved more success than they acheived against Sony's lackluster PS2. Ultimately, it came down to popular opinion to define the install base, and the install base was what drove developer support. The PS2 got the lion's share of dev support, and that ended the competition.

As to the 3DS, I think too many people are thinking in terms of full 3D graphics games. Although having these with a 3D handheld system would be sweet, I am much more interested in the potential for traditional Sprite-based games. I think a simple depth implementation for these would be really freaking sweet.

I am curious how they will manage to market the 3DS. It strikes me as the kind of technology that can't be communicated effectively through video or images. It's going to be a mystery to consumers until they can get hands-on with it.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2010, 06:15:19 PM »

I just hope that this new-fangled system, whatever it is, has an actual analog stick. Otherwise it's 3D (i.e. polygons) will be a moot point if you only have the rigid control of a directional pad.
Early reports say it does. I'm not believing anything until June though.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 107
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic