Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411643 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 08:05:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeWhat are Your Weak Points?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: What are Your Weak Points?  (Read 19115 times)
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2008, 12:47:03 PM »

My weaknesses are programming, organization and proper planning skills. I also have a large glowing rune on my forehead. That punk on the subway with the giant sword's been giving me weird looks lately; should I be worried?  Shocked
dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2008, 01:28:27 PM »

When I'm finishing a project my code starts to get really messy as I just hack things into it.  This is fast and is fine if I'm never coming back to the project and I complete it in a week or so but if it's a long term thing I'm screwed

Just wanted to say that I really only consider myself a programmer so my weakness is in programming.  I don't consider myself an artist or a musician really although I do like making some art (and have had to for all my games so far Smiley ).

So basically even though I'm a lot worse at pretty much all aspects of drawing/music making then I am at programming they don't bother me so much because I'm not an artist or a musician, I'm a programmer so it's only my programming weak points that bother me.
Corpus
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2008, 02:45:11 PM »

My weakness is pixelling 16x16 tileable afro textures.
Lukas
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2008, 03:00:16 PM »

I can't really program... at all, actually.

I take my own projects too serious, sometimes and I'm not good at finding a compromise aswell -> It's painful to agree with decisions I don't like.

BaronCid

I make (60s/70s) rock music. Listen to my band's new album here: www.speicher.bandcamp.com
joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2008, 03:43:18 PM »

My attention span.

Second place: I'm not great at detailed drawing; I like doing abstractish stuff but that doesn't really translate well into game art.  (Or does it?!???)

these are from an actual radio shack in the ghetto
Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2008, 04:05:37 PM »

jcromartie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2008, 02:11:43 PM »

That's a good exercice, let's see:
-I spend too much time coding engines insted of coding actual games
-I am too perfectionnist, I can spend hours on a single detail until I feel it's right, but that is also a quality.
-I tend to undertake projects that are too complex, I can't stick to simple games, and if I try I tend to add little details until it becomes too complex.

I was going to post my weaknesses here, but you already did.

We should never, ever, EVER, work together... unless it's to make the uber-engine to end all engines.
Matthew Longworth
Level 0

This will require EFFORT

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2008, 05:02:12 PM »

I am a perfectionist who must stop and tweak things until they are pefect.  Unless I get bored, and decide to do something else.  Then get bored again, decide to do something completely different, ignore it for a week, then spend or four days working on it until two o'clock in the evening.

Then abandon it and start something awesome but totally different.
frosty
Level 1

ice cold & refreshing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2008, 07:47:42 PM »

I spend way too much time pondering all the intricacies of something when I could probably just sit down and crank the damn thing out in a half hour and see if it's a any good or not.  Undecided

Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2008, 08:56:25 PM »

I'm just too damn indie.
 Cool
BenH
Level 2

Dirty boy, wash your hands!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2008, 10:06:17 AM »

Music, level design and planning!

SteveXT
Level 0

Raging OCD Machine.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2008, 11:02:23 AM »

Sweet, a thread everyone can reply to intelligently!

I have two basic weakpoints: OCD and Traditional Art.

My OCD is ridiculous; I obsess so much that I rarely finish anything all the way through.  I'm currently working on it with some therapy techniques, and getting better, but ultimately my obsessive nature plagues every aspect of my artistic life.

Being that I obsess, I can often be found sketching a nose for a half-hour, or, sketching eyes for 2 days.  It's hard for me to let go and just let myself learn and make mistakes.

I'm a big fan of "Fix the first problem, first," and to me, these are the "first problems" I have.  Everything else is a related issue, that is birthed by one of these two things.  So, I'm working on making these two things stronger, which in turn, will strengthen other areas. 

For example: If one teaches oneself sketching, and sketch-based vision and touch, one will often have much better visualization skills.  3D Modeling relies on visualization skills, so it could be said that being a good sketch artist will help you with 3D modeling.  It's not always true; it depends on your intent as an artist.  However, it is very true in my context.

D: Wish me luck.

http://gamerdx.blogspot.com
         -SteveXT-
threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2008, 12:46:36 PM »

You'll never find it!
Shoot-em-upper
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2008, 01:33:26 PM »

I found mine, but then it got hit for massive damage.

[/stupid, dated joke]
Stij
Level 3

the world's tallest dwarf

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2008, 02:49:42 PM »

Mine is a flashing red orb located on my chest, if you shoot it 3 times I'll die. D:

But seriously, my greatest weakness is probably my lack of commitment. I've probably started and then abandoned dozens of game ideas. I can never seem to stick to one project...

Also, I'm a pretty good traditional artist, but I can't sprite worth crap.
Gazillion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2008, 03:56:34 PM »

Low self-esteem? I'm a jack-of-all-trade being able to do a bit of everything (coding, a bit of graphics, some SFX, etc.) but when I get down to the really complex stuff I get really frustrated and if I can't find the solution right away I'll blame it on me being dumb and quit.

That being said, I'm getting a lot better at managing stuff. Now that I have a good partner to work with we can kind of feed on each other's enthusiasm and get a lot further (heck we finally finished a game: Narcoleptic Soccer Rush </advertisement>).

december
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2008, 05:25:18 PM »

I am short on attention, got a short little span of attention and oh my nights are so long.

Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.
Lazer
Level 3

:S

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2008, 07:25:02 PM »

i cannot code.
at all.

know that feeling.

"GODDAMN GOLF BALLS GODDAMN ACCELERATION GODDAMN METERS GODDAMN."
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2008, 05:31:40 AM »

That's a good exercise, let's see:
-I spend too much time coding engines instead of coding actual games
-I am too perfectionist, I can spend hours on a single detail until I feel it's right, but that is also a quality.
-I tend to undertake projects that are too complex

Yep.  Same here.  I have engines.  Boy, do I.  That's just about all I've got.  Some of them even have graphics, but in the end it's just an engine that looks a little nicer than the others.

And I'm slowly getting over my perfectionist issues.  I've been forcing myself to say "that might not be good enough, but it's good enough for now."  As for the complexity issue, that one's coming along rather slowly as well.  I've never taken my own advice to "make Pong first, then move on to something bigger."

One thing I realized I have a problem with in the past couple of days:

Level design.  I have no concept of it what-so-ever.  I place a few tiles, then test it.  Move a couple around, and test it.  Take some out, add a few more, and test it.  I can't seem to come up with a good workflow, and I can't visualize how the character is going to interact with the environment without running through it five times in five different ways for every little change I make.

Little Hitler in Toyland is the first project that I ever completed enough to actually need any level editing for.  I've never done any, and I'm feeling totally in the dark on this one.  Hell, I've never even really made custom levels for games that come with a level editor.  Who knew it would be so tough?

tweet tweet @j_younger
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2008, 06:47:00 AM »

I get distracted VERY easily.  I mean, I start working on a game for a few days, then I stop and say, "Meh, tomorrow.". And it never is tomorrow, it's never. Sad

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic