Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411656 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58451 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 15, 2024, 03:59:47 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeHow to mak website???
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: How to mak website???  (Read 4584 times)
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2011, 01:53:45 PM »

I'm hardcore and coded my own blog from scratch >:O

High Five! Power to the web-coders!

I've been meaning to do this myself, but have been putting it off for various reasons. I learned how last year, and I've already got my personal website running off of a rudimentary database that I coded on my own. I just need to light a fire under my own ass and get it done.

Did you cook up your blog using an RSS file/feed, or is it database-driven?
DanFessler
Pixelhead
Level 3

aka Indigo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2011, 01:07:44 PM »

database driven

Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2011, 01:25:02 PM »

database driven

More secure, but it makes it so that no one can "subscribe" to it. Of course, I think most people are over the RSS fad at this point. There are a few major feeds that have the branding necessary, but very few new blogs are going that route.

I still remember one of my clients insisting that I include an RSS feed on his site. As if anyone was actually going to subscribe to it. (or as if he would ever have news worth reading about)
dongle
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2011, 10:58:01 AM »

Whether a site is database driven or has an RSS feed is not mutually exclusive. You can dynamically create an RSS/atom feed from a database. Also, you can use an RSS feed as an easy way to pipe information between sites. And ~20% of my website traffic is via RSS.

EDIT: fixed tone of message which was originally more sarcastic
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 11:05:41 AM by dongle » Logged

Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2011, 12:31:36 PM »

Whether a site is database driven or has an RSS feed is not mutually exclusive. You can dynamically create an RSS/atom feed from a database.

Good point. There's nothing stopping a developer from cooking up a quick module to generate the necessary RSS XML from database entries. The parsing isn't even that difficult. I had forgotten that option.

I'm currently looking at re-visiting my personal web-site projects. This week I managed to get my local intranet set-up on my Linux box. (Ubuntu) Now I have a proper testing and development environment for constructing web pages.
meweel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2011, 10:27:15 PM »

second I would suggest moving to a host that supports fantastico. A good host in invaluable. I used to use 1and1 and had nothing but problems, the site would go down and they would blame it one me (despite me having people test it from all over the world). I switched to site5 and not only do they have a butter smooth UI with fantastico (set up wordpress in 1 click)

I agree, fantastico is the easiest step. just a click and wallah you have your blog. just need a little adjustment with the themes and widget, and you have your web blog  Coffee

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic