Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411644 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 15, 2024, 12:54:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeEpic 2D Boss Fights?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: Epic 2D Boss Fights?  (Read 25007 times)
dantheman363
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2011, 12:46:40 PM »

Nuff said!

"Crap...he found me!"

gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2011, 04:31:57 PM »

Gunstar Heroes was the peak. We made the greatest action game in 1993 and we've been going downhill since then. The only thing we've done since is make action games easier in order to represent to those less skilled at video games what playing Gunstar Heroes was actually like.

I highly disagree with this statement...

ALIEN SOLDIER was the greatest action game of all time. Yessir, twenty-five epic bosses, all in a row, and I would even argue that its Seven Force is cooler too! (pro tip: alien soldier is nothing but good choices)

Why have I barely heard of this game?

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Drum
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2011, 05:53:48 AM »

Osman/Cannon Dancer has some awesome ones.
Demon's Crest first boss is quite a shock.
First boss in Strider is a total pushover, but goddamn.
Warrior Blade: Rastan Saga III has some awesome bosses (beat 'em ups usually don't).  They are unusually not-cheap for beat 'em up bosses too, if a little easy.
Final Boss of Midnight Wanderers is god, so that's something (I know you fight god a lot in games but hey)
Stage 2 boss of Run Saber is awesome/creepy:

Final boss of Atomic Runner for Megadrive is pretty epic - it takes place on the top of Lady Liberty:

Boogie Wings has very epic booses, especially the xmas level.
Pretty much every boss in Darius Gaiden is epic.
Last boss of Narc is a giant skull that vomits tongues at you, that flop around like fish on land.
Black Heart's first boss is pretty nutty.
Giant underwater multi-faced titan from In the Hunt is a good one.
cactus
Makeout King
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2011, 10:34:49 PM »

I always thought Joe and Mac for the SNES had some pretty cool boss fights.

The ones that stand out the most is the Mammoth which you toss shit at until it's trunk falls off, and it just keeps on fighting despite it all, until the very end.

And the final boss; a tyrannosaurus that you first kill, then enter its mouth, proceed down into its chest, find out that it has been raped by a caveman and is now harboring his spawn (a lizard guy with a beard) that is protecting its mother's still beating heart (which you destroy after killing the manosaur).

Pretty awesome game.
Ququman
Level 0

May the power of prinnies be with you.

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2011, 07:15:33 AM »

Streets of Rage 2 final boss : Mr X. Not the hardest but it's epic in its own way : the music is great, he has a bloody rifle, plus he's the last one. Once you beat it, you beat the game !  Screamy

the final boss from Touhou 11. :3 Nuclear difficulty.

I have one 3d boss in mind, though it's not the greatest but it deserves to be called epic I believe : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOojyBxqWDY the final boss from Sonic Adventure 2 Battle.
BoxedLunch
« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2011, 08:46:46 PM »

N Gin from Crash Bandicoot 2. for both of his boss fights in the original 3 games, he has this awesome take him apart piece by piece thing you have to do, that makes him so much fun to play against. but crash 2 does it best, because you're confined to those platforms.
dsilvers
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2011, 09:50:56 AM »

Dimensions do not equal design. There are lame and great boss fights in 3D, just as there are in 2D. In Shadow of the Colossus, for instance, you are adventuring just to get to the next boss fight. However, the same goes for Mega Man. The only difference is that there isn't much in the way stopping you in SoC, but then the fights themselves are unmatched in scale. As a comparison, in Shank, it all comes down to split second timing to beat the bosses. They're smaller fights but much faster paced and much more frustrating to the point that you actually feel accomplished when you finally win.

Honestly, though, my favorite bosses are ones that require more brains than brawn, like in Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver. The core fighting mechanics were almost never what was needed to beat the bosses, rather an understanding of their patterns and their environment.

yesfish
« Reply #67 on: March 31, 2011, 10:54:35 AM »

I like this Metal Slug boss especially, the last one in the original trilogy:

It's pretty repetitive, but what makes it awesome is you've already saved the world: The final battle is for your life!
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2011, 12:48:45 PM »

Did anyone mention the whale in New Zealand Story that you go inside halfway through fighting?

Nektonico
Level 2

Time traveller graffiti

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 03, 2011, 07:24:43 PM »

The final boss from GunForce II

Its a robotic snake centaur curled around a nuclear missile.

Well, the concept is epic. Poorly executed though.

And of course, Demons Crest, which was all about the boss fights.

And this boss fight always stuck in my mind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNzm_NeKHo4&feature=related#t=04m35s

From TMNT IV for the snes. Ninja tossing   

He was built by the worlds finest surgeons to drive the fastest car ever designed and nothing can stop him now. ಠ_ృ
“The greatest misfortune is when theory outstrips performance.” - Leonardo DaVinci
HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2011, 10:19:35 PM »

it's wearing a bikini.

Hell pits tend to be disguised as
things that would lead a passerby to
not think of them as portals to
eternal gnashing and wailing.
Nitromatic
« Reply #71 on: April 04, 2011, 06:05:34 AM »

it's wearing a bikini.

But I don't mind. Durr...?
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: April 16, 2011, 10:10:42 AM »

I think it is a crime that no one (including myself) has mentioned

yet.
Whoa, never heard of the game but was impressed by the 5 bosses I watched.

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
JeremySpillmann
Level 0

Ryuworks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: April 18, 2011, 11:53:50 AM »

For me it has to be The final battle in Metal Slug X, where you take on an entire spaceship with the help of a few soldiers from general morden

Not that I've ever beaten it in one continue... my best must be like 20 Embarrassed

Swiss student doing Master of Arts in Game Design
Check out Full Color Planet or visit the Portfolio
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic