Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411656 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58451 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 15, 2024, 03:04:54 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Creative[Kinetic Typography] Using clever typography to enhance a gaming experience?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [Kinetic Typography] Using clever typography to enhance a gaming experience?  (Read 2126 times)
Inyssius
Level 0

extra thinky

View Profile
« on: March 16, 2011, 01:18:35 PM »

So, okay. I'm working on a mod for this game. In this mod, the event that kickstarts the plot injures the protagonist's throat such that speech becomes difficult. Well, technically it damages the concept of sound such that speech feels painfully unnatural to the protagonist's trained ear, but the end result is the same: not a lot of talking.

Thing is, our protagonist is quite a verbose individual, particularly prone to... narration. She would never stop talking to herself as she explores. Even if the sound of her own voice causes her pain, her internal dialogue wouldn't go away--it would just have to change metaphors.

I once watched a Russian movie called Night Watch. Night Watch is subtitled for English audiences, but the subtitles aren't so much an extra layer on top of the narrative as they are an integral part of it. I would think the Russian cut doesn't have those subtitles, but I can't imagine the movie without them; they dovetailed with the narrative, emphasizing certain thematic elements and the characters' emotions. A vampire whispers into the mind of an ocean-loving child: his thin red words swirl across the screen before dispersing like blood in water, red mist flowing in the same direction as the child is being compelled to walk. Basically, the movie used kinetic typography to make the subtitles not just translate, but aid the movie's thematic elements.

I want to do the same thing for this story, if I can. I've played games and mods which used plain subtitles alone to convey key plot elements (seriously), and that always turns out badly. I definitely want to convey the protagonist's thoughts in writing, but... I want to make it a compelling element of the narrative in itself, not just a bland vehicle to carry the plot.

So I want to do some research.

I know I've played a couple of indie platformers that used text in this way, although they used it very sparingly--but I don't remember their names or anything else that might be relevant. Can anyone point me at some existing games, mainstream or indie, which use this sort of thing to enhance the narrative--like Night Watch did, or in some other way? Even if it only served as a minor element?

(Or links to relevant articles, or suggestions to check out any other related media, or design tips, or... whatever. Honestly I'd very much appreciate any thoughts you might have on the subject.)
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 01:08:01 AM »

Lost Odyssey did this with the story sequences (though not the main game- they were written by different people anyway)

I thought it added to the narrative, or at least made it more interesting than simply reading the words from a block 'o text.

X3N
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 05:37:23 PM »

So, okay. I'm working on a mod for this game.
Ya url's messed up.

destiny is truth pre-op
eiyukabe
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 02:43:05 PM »

Best Kinetic Typography video:

It's not really the best. I just use superlatives carelessly.

Why don't you watch it!
Xecutor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 06:12:29 AM »

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic