Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411644 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 15, 2024, 12:49:22 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeLessons from Greedy Bankers (postmortem)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Lessons from Greedy Bankers (postmortem)  (Read 1946 times)
Alistair Aitcheson
Level 5

"Ali" for short

View Profile WWW
« on: April 14, 2011, 06:32:25 AM »

Had a look, and there doesn't seem to be a dedicated thread for postmortems. I thought I'd share it with you, in case anyone finds it a helpful read.

Only the Beginning: Lessons from Greedy Bankers

It's not really a post-mortem, as the project's still in full swing. I'm past the initial release stage though, and onto marketing/promotion/updating/porting, so it seemed like a good time to look back on my experiences!

I hope you enjoy reading it and maybe find it useful Smiley

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 08:47:51 AM »

Bookmarked for evening reading.

knight
Level 3

aka dude4k

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 11:38:27 AM »

Interesting read. I totally agree with you about game art. I would like to hear about your app store experiences maybe some sales figures etc.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 02:18:57 PM »

One thing that helps me with workload pacing/balancing is musical tracklists/albums. Usually I'll start one when I begin working on an aspect of my upcoming projects, and whenever the tracklist or album finishes, I get to the next point where I can easily save and pick up from, and call it a day.

But yes, a good rule of thumb for projecting completion timelines is to take however long you expect to *create* it, and 3x that. Because you're going to revise it after that, and then polish it to perfection. And on that note, I think you've done pretty well polishing this gem, here.  Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right

Alistair Aitcheson
Level 5

"Ali" for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 10:45:42 AM »

One thing that helps me with workload pacing/balancing is musical tracklists/albums. Usually I'll start one when I begin working on an aspect of my upcoming projects, and whenever the tracklist or album finishes, I get to the next point where I can easily save and pick up from, and call it a day.

But yes, a good rule of thumb for projecting completion timelines is to take however long you expect to *create* it, and 3x that. Because you're going to revise it after that, and then polish it to perfection. And on that note, I think you've done pretty well polishing this gem, here.  Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right

Many thanks for the complement Smiley And the 3x rule seems pretty accurate! I like the idea of using albums to help track your time. I used to do that all the time when I was studying, but have stopped doing it now for some reason. I think the key problem isn't being able to sit down and focus, but having a stack of wildly varying tasks that all need to be done. Tasks that can't get done fast because there's a whole bunch of other stuff to do, so it's very easy to end up with a mountainous to-do list that can really weigh down on you. Maybe all I need is a sense of perspective!

Interesting read. I totally agree with you about game art. I would like to hear about your app store experiences maybe some sales figures etc.

Regarding sales figures, not much to report, other than they've been pretty low so far. I had decent sales in the first couple of days, but since then it's been pretty minimal. Getting people interested in the game has been a tough nut which I'm yet to crack, but it's early days. I'm still working hard on marketing it, and on the iPad version, so I can't really derive any conclusions on sales figures just yet Smiley

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 09:38:45 PM »

Part of it is really getting the right sequence of actions to take. Clearly concept/design is the starting point, it directs me to "programming logic" (although not the programming itself, just yet; but more a rough outline of it). From there, I go to my current step, art direction/visuals and audio - which can be freakin' ENORMOUSLY time-consuming; and then finally into the programming and development... and troubleshooting... and testing... and inevitably fair amount of "feature creep."

I'm aiming for a ~2 year dev-cycle on my project, tbh, and progressing right in tune with that. But admittedly, I really don't want to wait that long to have my finished project! XD I wanna be playing it already!

Alistair Aitcheson
Level 5

"Ali" for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 07:05:47 AM »

Part of it is really getting the right sequence of actions to take. Clearly concept/design is the starting point, it directs me to "programming logic" (although not the programming itself, just yet; but more a rough outline of it). From there, I go to my current step, art direction/visuals and audio - which can be freakin' ENORMOUSLY time-consuming; and then finally into the programming and development... and troubleshooting... and testing... and inevitably fair amount of "feature creep."

Sounds like a good approach to me. Personally, I'd prefer not to sequence everything linearly, but to try and have a couple of core tasks running simultaneously. For example, doing animation and game programming during the same period. That way you're less likely to run into bottlenecks, and can keep your mind active more easily.

I got to a point where I had loads of code ready, but couldn't really advance with the programming until I'd designed and drawn the banker characters. I don't think it added to the time taken to make the game, as it was work I needed to do anyway, but it was frustrating and energy-consuming - if I wasn't feeling artistic I couldn't switch to programming to freshen up. I just had to plug away for a few weeks drawing nothing but bankers!

On the other hand, a certain amount of sequencing is good. Bunching up all your tasks together, so that even small tasks stretch on forever, is equally draining! I guess there's a balance to be found that's different for everyone.

Regarding feature-creep, watch out Wink I thought I was being careful to avoid it, but I got sucked into it without realising! There's features that creep in because you think they'd just look cool or be fun to code, and those are the easy ones to catch. I found myself adding/planning unnecessary features because I was terrified the game would be confusing or uninteresting without them, which is a little harder to avoid  Giggle Test on players and judge whether creeping feature ideas are really necessary, and remember that there's no such thing as a feature which "just takes an hour" to implement!

I'm aiming for a ~2 year dev-cycle on my project, tbh, and progressing right in tune with that. But admittedly, I really don't want to wait that long to have my finished project! XD I wanna be playing it already!

Haha, I know the feeling! I was reluctant to do anything that would take more than a few months as my first commercial product, as I knew I was effectively testing the water. I'm a fan of concise arcadey games anyway, so I didn't see it as a limitation - just a guiding factor on which of my designs I chose to develop fully. I think once I know the market better I'll be more confident about doing a longer project. Good to hear your development is progressing on-target! Smiley

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic