Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411608 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58446 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 09, 2024, 05:32:56 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsIdea pool for new TIGS competitions
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 65
Print
Author Topic: Idea pool for new TIGS competitions  (Read 295270 times)
Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: January 24, 2008, 01:32:32 PM »

Well, we could all simply pretend it will be games about religion in general, instead of scientology in particular. Wink

Not to try and wear Mr Controversial's pointy hat, but is there really that much difference?

I never understood why people pick on Scientology so much for doing pretty much the same things as every other religion - except on a far smaller scale.

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: January 24, 2008, 01:54:17 PM »

Erm, for the lulz, obviously.

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 24, 2008, 03:10:37 PM »

I never understood why people pick on Scientology so much for doing pretty much the same things as every other religion - except on a far smaller scale.

Not to derail but try reading up on Lisa McPherson.

And for fuck's sake... they believe that ghosts from outer space are the reason you get sick.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 25, 2008, 01:03:50 AM »

That is totally unreasonable compared to the idea of a two-thousand year old Jewish wizard who will be very disappointed if you are gay.

Just putting that out there.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 25, 2008, 01:13:48 AM »

Case in point: I could easily see a TIGS religious game competition being both the most hilarious and intensely offensive thing we could possibly do.

I'm not actually sure whether or not it's a good idea.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Zaphos
« Reply #165 on: January 25, 2008, 04:13:14 AM »

A religious game competition doesn't have to be 100% offensive!
There's this wonderfully horrible lineage of bible games from apparently-deadpan-and-respectful developers to reference, right?  So if you said "bible games competition," I'd actually think of it as a special genre of B-Games, rather than a chance to rant about the absurdities of belief.  A general religious games competition would probably evoke more of the bible-game spirit as well (except in the context of this specific discussion).

Actually, especially in light of Zoo Race, I think a bible games competition would probably be excellent ...
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: January 25, 2008, 04:44:55 AM »

But, knowing the diverse and extreme range of emotions that this hot topic can evoke, I'm sure there are some people who would deliberately try to offend religion(s) - and some who would do the opposite.

Which is why Scientology is the perfect target -- nobody takes it seriously. Tongue

On a slight tangent, thinking about the more serious side of Scientology and looking at the recent TIGS article on Harpooned!, why don't we hold a competition to make games with a serious message? Like harpooning whales, saving forests, cutting CO2 emissions, etc.

(I still like the idea of an anti-Scientology game Wink )

olücæbelel
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 25, 2008, 06:30:29 AM »

I like the idea of a religious game competition, but it could very well attract a lot of flak from outside sources, like those religious websites out there. I'd be in it, personally.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: January 25, 2008, 07:54:55 AM »

We could all submit our games anonymously, in case one of them sparks riots.

I mean, if a cartoon almost got several people killed, imagine what a sprite-based shooter would do.

Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: January 25, 2008, 12:31:31 PM »

To be fair, I think any kind of religion-themed competition would face the (probably justified) accusation of being more about being controversial for the sake of it than about, you know, making fun/interesting games.

Not to derail but try reading up on Lisa McPherson.

She was mentioned in a link above my post.  All religions want to threaten our health by applying their beliefs to the way hospitals are run.  Scientology has one appalling hospital.  This is certainly bad.  But millions of people die from HIV/AIDS and unsafe abortions because of healthcare decisions influenced by Christian and Islamic beliefs.  Same thing.  Different scale.

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 25, 2008, 01:17:09 PM »

To be fair, I think any kind of religion-themed competition would face the (probably justified) accusation of being more about being controversial for the sake of it than about, you know, making fun/interesting games.

Ultimately I have to agree with this.  A religious-themed game compo, even a sincere one (which I don't see happening), would just create a lot of negative attention for TIGS.

I had a different idea for the opposite end of the spectrum, though.  How about a compo based on Mother Goose rhymes?  I got the inspiration from jimbob's latest game Hickory.  Just thinking back to the rhymes I remember off the top of my head I got like four different game ideas...  Little Jack Horner's Ultimate Pie Fight?  Bo Peep's Gran Prix Sheep (Argh, damn you Zoo Races!)?  How about a game where Little Boy Blue has to fend off a herd of angry, ravenous cows?  And the conflict is already set up for you with something like Miss Muffet vs. spiders.

And there's always room to put a ironically twisted edge on it.

Anyway, just a thought.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 01:19:06 PM by deadeye » Logged

tweet tweet @j_younger
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 25, 2008, 01:28:38 PM »

How about a compo based on Mother Goose rhymes?

Hmm, I like the idea but taking it a little further we could just make the compo a Fables kind of thing where we make games using the various myth, fairy tale and folk type characters we can think of.

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 25, 2008, 01:31:55 PM »

Hmm, I like the idea but taking it a little further we could just make the compo a Fables kind of thing where we make games using the various myth, fairy tale and folk type characters we can think of.

Sure, why not?

tweet tweet @j_younger
Cthulhu32
Level 6

Brawp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: January 29, 2008, 08:51:23 AM »

I think Jesus riding a dinosaur, battling the ancient flu ghosts from a Scientology past would be god damn epic. You of course would have to battle the glasses used to rewrite the Mormon bible, they're a freakin cursed relic! I think a "religious relics" based theme might be less offensive if the crowd here seriously cares about outside opinions after the B-Game results, but making fun of Xenu = 100% comedy.

ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: January 30, 2008, 07:17:12 AM »

Just ask Salman Rushdie. People love it when you criticize their religion. Maybe it would be okay he we put up a screen at the start saying the game was developed by people of many faiths etc etc, please don't bomb us.

shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: January 30, 2008, 07:42:16 AM »

We just need to make them faux-promotional games, like, say, The Zoo Race. Wink

olücæbelel
Shoot-em-upper
« Reply #176 on: February 01, 2008, 11:21:06 PM »

We just need to make them faux-promotional games, like, say, The Zoo Race. Wink

But that would just make it B-Games round 2.  We need a new contest, not a rehash of an old one.  Personally, I'd like to see either a competition for games based on awful webcomics, or a competition to see who can make the worst match-3 while being able to get it on a portal.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 02, 2008, 09:58:35 AM »

I just want a damn compo. I'm pumped!

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Stij
Level 3

the world's tallest dwarf

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 02, 2008, 12:47:05 PM »

ASCII versions of stuff you wouldn't expect to see in ASCII. Fighting games, shooters, etc.

Just an idea.
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 02, 2008, 01:21:33 PM »

ASCII versions of stuff you wouldn't expect to see in ASCII. Fighting games, shooters, etc.

Just an idea.

ASCII FPS Cool
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 65
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic