Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411573 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 12:24:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Thinking about starting to code an image editor.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Thinking about starting to code an image editor.  (Read 2687 times)
Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« on: August 09, 2011, 12:09:28 PM »

Hey TIGers!

I'm thinking about starting to code an image editor mainly focused on pixel art and it's other disciplines, such as animation and tileset creation.

Is there anything you guys have always wanted to see in an editor like this, or can you think of any really useful features?

The reason i'm apprehensive about starting the project is that i'm unsure as to whether the world really needs a new image editor, are all the bases already covered?

I look forward to reading your replies!

Tiger

Edit: Would some sort of proportion marker be a good idea? For example, you would select an image size, then a proportion type (realistic, heroic, etc.) and the program would mark out how large each of those parts needs to be.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 01:16:38 PM by Nugsy » Logged

rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 12:14:02 PM »

No editor is perfect... I'm sure there will be people who will appreciate it.
I too thought about programming one Smiley
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 02:06:59 PM »

i started making a whole range of art tools, (in game maker ugh) but there weren't really working too well for me, even though I designed them haha.

Theophilus
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 02:18:43 PM »

Animation playing within the program

Non-floating windows (see gimp and how awful the modal windows are)

Animation tools like stretching, condensing, adjusting the speed it plays

Only a few tools. The line tool, the pencil tool, and a selection tool. Maybe a bucket fill would be nice too.

Palette loading and saving
Happy Shabby Games
Level 8

msmymo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 03:05:58 PM »

A simple tileset editor would be nice.

Here's some basic features I enjoy in other programs

Being able to...
-save/load your palette
-paste from the clipboard
-use the eye dropper on the canvas to add a color to your palette
-edit one tile and it edits every copy of it simultaneously
-flip/rotate your tiles
-export in png/gif
-customizable hotkeys

A GraphicsGale/Pixothello smoothie. Smoove would be a sweet name ha.

tylerjhutchison
Level 1

hebbo!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 04:52:36 PM »

-edit one tile and it edits every copy of it simultaneously
THIS!

I have been doing a ton of work on creating a raster based image editor; it is exceptionally rewarding.
I say go for it!  Just because there are lots of options already does not mean that another one is a bad idea.

My advice:
Think of things that are hard to do or time consuming when you make pixel art. 
Is there an easy way that this can be automated?
Can you make a tool that fills that special niche?
Have fun and give it a go!  If you get bored with it, eh no big deal you will still probably have learned some cool things in the process.

I have been doing most of my tool programming in AS3/Flex just because it is insanely portable and being able to provide web tools is pretty cool.  AS3 also has really good support for working directly with bitmaps.  I ended up writing a bunch of raster libraries for it and they run pretty quickly.  It would be really easy to turn these into a pixel editor.  If you need any advice give me a shout!

tylersaurus.com | twitter | blog | wedrawcomics.com -- software engineer by day, comic book artist/game dev by night.
Dysposin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 05:49:28 AM »

Edit: Would some sort of proportion marker be a good idea? For example, you would select an image size, then a proportion type (realistic, heroic, etc.) and the program would mark out how large each of those parts needs to be.
Although that would be a nice gimmick, I don't think it would be that useful in the end. Something similar, yet more useful, would be a custom grid with a wide range of variables (size of the grid, offset, visibility of the grid, etc.).

Most important tool would be propably a Pro Motion-esque tileset editor (like others have mentioned, editing one tile would edit all the tiles simultaneously). Another useful tool would be a good palette editor; I think a smaller custom-palette and another more high-resolution one similar to GraphicsGale/Photoshop/PSP would be pretty nice.

-customizable hotkeys
This!

Of course, reading through this topic, it's pretty obvious that there's just as many requests and preferences as there are artists, so pick the stuff you want from these posts and do whatever you want to do.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 06:31:39 AM »

everybody has different tastes and needs. So work on an editor that perfectly fits your needs and hopefully it will also be useful to many people.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 07:57:04 AM »

I'm going to start working on this today, i'll get the basics working (displaying the image you are editing, pencil tool etc.) and then see where that takes me.

Thankyou for all the suggestions so far! Keep them coming!

Grin Hand Thumbs Up Right

Geeze
Level 5

Totally.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 10:26:33 AM »

Will the source be open? I'm kinda interested.

Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 10:43:44 AM »

I'm not sure about that yet, i think that is something i'll have to consider when the project is in a useable state.

Currently i'm trying to decide on a language to code it in. I'm trying to find the perfect balance between ease of use and complexity.

For example: C++ with Qt/wxWidgets offers pretty much everything i need, but it would be an extremely steep learning curve; whereas using BlitzMax would be very easy for me as i've used it previously, but it might be harder to get access to lower level OS features such as the clipboard.

Edit: Just found FLTK. Going to read into it more.
I guess i could always use SFML, which i have some previous experience with.

Too many options! If anyone has any suggestions, i'd love to hear them. Smiley
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 11:10:14 AM by Nugsy » Logged

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 11:52:26 AM »

I want the image editor to draw things itself.

Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 12:08:14 PM »

I'll put it in the to-do list. Wink

RichMakeGame!
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 12:14:44 PM »

maybe something to help streamline AA workflow. like maybe you have your standard 2 colours chosen (like PS), and also a little panel which gives you several swatches of those colours mixed, eg 12.5%, 25, 37, 50 etc.

if you already have a palette defined it could try to pick the closest colours from the palette to those values (maybe a tickbox for that to toggle)

Bootleg TurboDrive
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=30133
testers welcome: will do playtest swap if you need yours tested, PM
www.richmakegame.com
Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2011, 12:18:44 PM »

I'll put it in the to-do list. Wink

If you're successful then you should name it: "Mindfuck: The Image Editor IN 3D"
P.S. Sorry I don't have any helpful suggestions, haha.

Theophilus
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2011, 03:01:24 PM »

Color lerping from the program. Some image editors don't have this.
Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2011, 03:24:19 PM »

I tried to find some info on colour lerping but nothing came up.

Wuts a lerp? From what could gather it's some sort of line between two points. Durr...?

Edit: I think i'm going to go with SFML on this!

I have previous experience with SFML, and it just clicks with me. The other libraries i have been looking at today haven't done that (Qt/wxWidgets/FLTK/GTK+/SDL/etc.)
As well as making sense to me, it is also cross platform which is a big plus.

I also need to brush up on my C++, and this seems like a great opportunity to do that.

Hopefully work shall begin tomorrow!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 03:54:07 PM by Nugsy » Logged

Theophilus
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2011, 04:20:06 PM »

lerp means linear interpolation. For colors basically finding the mid tone between two (or more) colors.

See: http://www.design-lib.com/color_tool_mixer.php
eiyukabe
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2011, 05:02:44 PM »

Definitely have layers. If you want.
Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2011, 05:31:55 PM »

Quick update!

I have now started work on the program. It's going to be a big learning experience for me, as i have a fair bit of knowledge about programming but limited knowledge about the more complex aspects of C++. I passed by reference for the first time today, it was beautiful.  Tears of Joy
I've known about referencing for a long time but i never really understood it, but suddenly it just clicked today.

Thankyou for all of your suggestions! I'm going to start a devlog when i have something to show other than a black box that you can draw lines on haha.

Coffee

@robolee: Sweet program! I bet it's great to be able to do some online collaboration.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic