Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411560 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 02:19:14 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFrom Ashes to Ashes
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: From Ashes to Ashes  (Read 5044 times)
aamatniekss
Level 4

hiya

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2015, 01:07:09 AM »

Oh nice, I love what you have so far. There's a distinct lack of beat-em-ups nowadays, and im glad it looks like there's one good being made here. Smiley

Davi Vasc
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2015, 09:17:28 AM »

Looks awesome! Love the dark fantasy setting Smiley

Davi Vasc - Video Game Composer
Twitter: https://twitter.com/VascMusic
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2015, 12:35:41 PM »

@JWK5: good idea, I'll see what I can do with it

@Pixel Noise: hmm, we kinda have this behavior but it only happens if there are other enemies to fight you, if he's the last guy he won't be endlessly running away

@aamatniekss: agree, we need more beatemups!
@Davi Vasc: thanks Wink

so anyways, earlier today we were figuring out how we want to make the items system in this game and so far we're set on this:

-items will wear over time so you'll need to repair them (way to spend money)
-we'll have the following slots for items:
Armor: Head, Torso, Arms, Legs
Weapons: Left Hand, Right Hand
Jewelry: Amulet, Ring, Ring
Other: Familiar
-Items will come in 4 different conditions: Broken (75%), Normal (100%), Masterwork (125%) and Epic (200%)
-some items will have slots for Runes / Glyphs (up to three per item maybe?)
-Runes / Glyphs will add special effects to the items
-you'll be able to add / remove runes using an NPC
-if you want to find anything better than "lesser runes" you'll need to hunt some mini-bosses that you wouldn't meet otherwise

In Warlocks vs Shadows we had like 6 suffixes for items, this time we want a lot more diversity so here's a list of potential Runes for weapons:
- of Fire - adds fire damage
- of Water - adds water damage
- of Air - -||-
- of Earth - -||-
- of Holy - -||-
- of Evil - -||-
- of Lightnings - % chance of spawning a chain of lightnings on hit
- of Vampirism - on hit life steal
- of Burning - % chance on setting the enemy on fire, on hit
- of Ice - slows down the enemy on hit
- of Nature - % chance to root enemy on hit
- of Piercing - pierces armor
- of sth - breaks through the blocks (dealing X% dmg)
- of Poison - small DOT + blocks HP regen
- of Giant Strength - increases knockback
- of Death - % chance for autokill if the enemy's HP is below X% (doesn't work on bosses and the likes)
- of Predator - increases crit multiplier and chance
- of Iron Wrath - each hit decreases enemy's armor by X, for Y seconds, stacks up to Z times
- of Great Poise - increases poise damage
- of Assassin - silence on crit
- devoted to God X - on kill heals you by X HP
- devoted to God Y - on kill boosts your movement speed for X seconds
- devoted to God Z - on kill lowers your cooldowns by X %
- devoted to God V - on kill returns X stamina / energy
- devoted to God R - on kill spawns two projectiles targeting near enemies
- devoted to God Q - on kill AoE damage to nearby enemies
- Cursed - deals X damage to you on every attack

most weapons will come with empty slots, some will have Cursed rune put in, so you'll have to remove it and some items (artifacts) will come with some preset runes but possibly with some empty slots too

Anyway, familiars will be creatures that float around your head all the time, have cooldowns and serve support roles. Like you could have a familiar that heals you every X seconds or a familiar that attacks nearby enemies with fireballs, or one that has 10 minutes cooldown but revives you with 20% HP when you die. Just a few ideas.

if any of you has enough willpower to read through this wall of text please let me know what you think :3

Oh, and here's a work in progress of our cover art:

JWK5
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2015, 03:45:13 PM »

Ideas...

- of Air - Increased knock-back/enemy recoil and % chance to send the enemy flying.
- of Earth - Increased chance to break guard/defense and % chance stagger/stumble/dizzy the enemy.
- of Holy - % Chance slain enemies explode with holy light inflicting AoE damage to other nearby enemies.
- of Evil - % Chance slain enemy will briefly (a few seconds) resurrect as a phantom aiding the player in combat.

of sth ---> of Devastation

- of Blinding - % Chance to blind, blinding has a % chance per non-AoE attack to "miss".
- of Bleeding - % Chance to inflict bleeding, bleeding incrementally damages HP and increases Crit% against victim.
- of Fury - The stamina cost of each hit is reduced with each successive hit after the first.
- of Confusion - % Chance to inflict confusion, confusion causes an enemy to briefly (a few seconds) attack its allies.

Quote from: ANtY
Anyway, familiars will be creatures that float around your head all the time, have cooldowns and serve support roles. Like you could have a familiar that heals you every X seconds or a familiar that attacks nearby enemies with fireballs, or one that has 10 minutes cooldown but revives you with 20% HP when you die. Just a few ideas.
As an alternative (or in addition to that), you could treat familiars like a secondary weapon to augment the player's combat abilities. In this manner, you hit the familiar button (I don't know what your control scheme is setup like) and the familiar rushes in to attack (and then is put through a cooldown before it can attack again). This could open up the player's combat options a bit while keeping the action within the player's control (rather than giving some of it up to an AI-controlled familiar). Going with that, you could then allow the familiars to have items equipped to them that alter the attack they grant the player a bit.

A rough example could be a wolf ally that when the player hits the familiar button rushes in to do a bite attack. If you equip it with an infernal collar (or whatever) its bite is augmented with fire (that has a % chance to ignite its victims).

Just a thought.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 03:59:56 PM by JWK5 » Logged
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2015, 03:51:53 AM »

oh weird, i also thought that air rune should add knockback.
i never was a fan of elemental damage and rock-scissor resitance, maybe there should be some more obvious benefits.
ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2016, 11:29:24 AM »

@JWK5
wow, I love that idea with familiars, it's a much better approach to the whole mechanic.
I hope I can get the whole team on this, especially the wolf familiar part :D

and yeah, I think adding something to those elemental runes will be a good idea, flat damage addition sounds boring af

ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2016, 10:03:10 AM »

kinda poor quality gif, I need to build and game and record with fraps next time

ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2016, 11:12:00 AM »

We launched a facebook fanpage for the game today

(feel free to like / follow  Gomez Gomez)

and also here's a new gif

(although the gfycat version is much smoother - http://gfycat.com/MajesticHomelyArizonaalligatorlizard )
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 11:18:47 AM by ANtY » Logged

JWK5
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2016, 11:46:26 AM »

Awesome stuff, this is currently my fav DevLog on TIGS! On that note, I have more ideas to throw at you:

I have ideas regarding the AI and whatnot, but I don't know if you're really needing anything more in that area. I don't want to step on your toes or anything, I just like the project and my mind is an idea factory that never stops.
Davi Vasc
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2016, 01:20:42 PM »

I just now noticed the little Dark Souls similarities here and there. I was wondering if you intend to make this a highly challenging, player skill based game like Dark Souls. That would be awesome.

The new gif looks great btw

Davi Vasc - Video Game Composer
Twitter: https://twitter.com/VascMusic
ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2016, 02:59:49 AM »

@JWK5: and you're my favorite poster, dude!  Kiss

anyways, about the runes idea: I like it a lot and it sounds really promising to be able to personalize the attacks combo of your char in this way but when you consider that we'll have 3 different class trees and ~10 different weapons (with different attack combos and animations, not all melee) it sounds like A LOT of work that will be additionally extremely hard to balance, if it was only like 2-3 weapons and you'd only be playing a melee warrior then it'd be awesome

and sure, if you have some ideas about the AI I'd love to hear them, it's my first time designing/coding AI so I'm very open to ideas and suggestions

@Davi: good catch! Our main inspirations here are Dark Souls and Diablo and we're going for highly challenging and skill based game

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2016, 03:28:58 AM »

...funk to funky, we know Major Tom's a junkie
ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2016, 09:35:52 AM »

@Quarry: is this a reference to something? I don't get it at all  Sad
edit: oh, it's from a song!

Sneak peek of our beautiful interface

I decided that instead of stupid HP potions that should be forgotten by everyone to replenish your HP you'll be able to eat your enemies' hearts.

You will have maximum of one heart at a time on you and eating the heart will take some time (animation), if you kill a stronger enemy than the one you have the heart of then it'll swap with the better one.
Hearts of stronger enemies will not only heal you more but will also give you some time limited buffs / bonuses.

Also in that image you can see the starting armor (rags) the hero will be wearing at the beginning of the game.

JWK5
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2016, 04:28:02 PM »

Sorry I hadn't got back to you in a bit, I spaced it. Anyways, this is a quick bit of an AI setup I'd been working on for an old project but maybe it'll be of some use to you. I have more ideas on it than just this, once I get a little more time I will pass them along.

Hopefully it makes sense.

You can also break free of the "mindless mobs" by giving your sideline enemies (i.e. those wandering about not yet directly engaging the player) by grouping them up in a more organic way. For example, having your lizard monster things move as a pack. Having your zombie-ish guys moving as a group shields first, spears second (in a sort of phalanx formation). Little touches to make them feel more alive and also force the player to plan ahead.

In the crowding space the enemies don't need to line up or anything, I meant to imply it is just a general area (anywhere above and below the player) where the enemies who have been triggered into action to wait for an open space to engage the player. You can also create "break" attacks aimed and breaking through enemy phalanx walls or pushing an opening which can open up all sorts of strategies (for example, maybe rolling into a crowd knocks enemies around a bit as the player returns to his feet).
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 04:39:16 PM by JWK5 » Logged
ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2016, 02:37:24 AM »

@JWK5: I really like the idea and I'll try to implement it when we're done with some more urgent stuff, thanks for the suggestions, appreciate them really much  Kiss

On the other hand we'll have fights mostly against small groups of enemies, like 2-4 at a time so I will have to think it through still

So we're actually still working daily on the game, I just had some real-life stuff to sort out and didn't have much time to post here.

Anyways we'll be showing the game to the public in April on a Polish fantasy event called Pyrkon. We want to finish up the first area, the first boss and have all that working for 2 players in local co-op.

One player will be playing the Slayer class you've already seen, and the other will be playing as a Weaver which we're currently working on.

Anyway, let's get to the imagery stuff.

New enemy from the first zone, a cute doggie:

Animation mockup for the Weaver:

and just for the heck of it an illustrated spell design xD

« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 02:56:05 AM by ANtY » Logged

ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2016, 08:12:21 AM »

it's slowly starting to look like a gam

MegaTiny
Level 1

Wew lad

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2016, 08:04:50 AM »

Hey man this looks really good. I've been following it for a while and am really glad to see it's still coming along nicely.

Had to post to let you know you've spelt the area name incorrectly. Should be quarries (two r's). Unless it's on purpose, in which case ignore me Smiley

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic