Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411544 Posts in 69383 Topics- by 58442 Members - Latest Member: vicemask

May 03, 2024, 04:21:22 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallMy Roguelike Cardinal Quest is now online!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: My Roguelike Cardinal Quest is now online!  (Read 5200 times)
jamey
Level 0

meow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2011, 02:58:20 PM »

I'm having a lot of fun with this so far! It's forgiving yet challenging enough to make me want to keep playing. Any chance you'll implement temporary saves or something like that? Also, will you email your customers if you push out updates, or should we check the site now and again?
tametick
Level 3

Could take weeks, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2011, 03:00:36 PM »

Yes to both.

It will auto save once you enter a new level and I will email customers once it gets updated.

I also have an auto updater up my sleeve, but it could still be a version or 2 away.

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2011, 10:26:29 AM »

here is the free demo you were asking for:
http://www.kongregate.com/games/idoyehi/cardinal-quest-demo

Awesome, thanks! Playing it now.  Gentleman

EDIT: Just finished the demo. It's a lovely game, but I've got some feedback:

- The demo seems to lag a lot. Every now and then, the game needs to "think" for a few seconds. Makes for quite an unpleasant and unresponsive user experience.

- Took me a while to figure out that I can see spell descriptions only in the inventory screen. Maybe you could somehow add that information to the help overlay. It was the only thing that wasn't really self-explanatory.

- Went to buy the game through BMT Micro and there was another game in the shopping cart already. It happens when a customer previously added any product to his cart on any other website using BMT. To prevent this, you have to add "CLR=0" parameter to your order link. It's explained in your BMT Micro account: Manage Products -> View order link.

- It would be both more clear and more satisfying if there was some nice "Level up!" prompt when you gain a level. For a while I even didn't notice I'm gaining levels, and took the yellow bar below my health for some kind of mana or stamina indicator.

Other than that, it's a great little game, and I just purchased it Smiley. I really love how redundant items are automatically turned into gold. It elegantly removes the worst chore of all loot-based RPGs. Great idea! I also like the delicate movement animations. I'm a sucker for neat touches like that. One question though -- is it possible to play it in windowed mode?

« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 11:13:30 AM by TeeGee » Logged

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2011, 03:01:32 PM »

Awesome!  Finished the demo and made a purchase.  I really like the idea of roguelikes but rarely have the patience to stay involved for too long.  This game really scratches that dungeon crawling itch!  As said before, nice graphics and subtle animation, as well as sound effects it all works very nicely together.

tametick
Level 3

Could take weeks, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2011, 12:47:09 AM »

Thank you Nate, I'm glad you like it!

Nachtfischer
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2011, 02:45:34 AM »

is it possible to play it in windowed mode?
I already asked this question in another forum, and here's the answer: Press F2! Wink

The demo seems to lag a lot.
I also noticed that sometimes (rather in the full version though), but most of the time the game runs pretty smooth. Although especially when I'm exiting the game, my machine needs a few minutes before it can handle new commands again... but that again could be due to me playing it on the netbook as I do not have access to my desktop computer at the moment, but I kept an eye on the memory usage in task manager and for a few minutes it went up from like 100mb to 600mb for no apparent reason. Maybe there's some kind of problem there?

Besides: I think the game is really good at what it does. It delivers great fast-paced dungeon crawling action, cleverly deals with the time wasting things (automatic inventory handling etc. has been mentioned) and is just challenging (8th floor gets really hard!), motivating and fun to play. I'm already looking forward to the coming updates. Smiley

The Project Zomboid Compendium (all things PZ, including a comprehensive mod list)
Nachtfischers Innenleben (German Indie Games/Music Blog)
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2011, 05:34:40 AM »

I already asked this question in another forum, and here's the answer: Press F2! Wink
Thanks a bunch Smiley. It would be cool if there was a normal clickable option for this in the main menu too.

I'm a bit disappointed about the lack of saving and the "Coming soon" message in the highscores. If you are selling an unfinished game, I think it would be good to honestly state it on the website. I would still support it with a purchase, but it's good to know what I'm paying for.

Tom Grochowiak
Nachtfischer
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2011, 05:46:13 AM »

Thanks a bunch Smiley. It would be cool if there was a normal clickable option for this in the main menu too.

I'm a bit disappointed about the lack of saving and the "Coming soon" message in the highscores. If you are selling an unfinished game, I think it would be good to honestly state it on the website. I would still support it with a purchase, but it's good to know what I'm paying for.
Well, all those things (UI-polishing, saving, highscores) are obviously to come with future updates. But you are right, it should have been stated somewhere. Especially since it's not that unusual with indie games these days. Many of them even get "released" at earlier stages (e.g. Minecraft, Project Zomboid).
But even with the knowledge of some bugs and missing features, I'd still call the game worth the money and I do not regret having bought a copy. Still having a lot of fun with it!
And again: One of the great things about indie games is the developer being able to react directly to community feedback with updates etc. Smiley

The Project Zomboid Compendium (all things PZ, including a comprehensive mod list)
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2011, 05:57:08 AM »

Yeah, I love the game and I'm still happy I bought it. I would just prefer to know about its state and the upcoming updates beforehand. Especially because - as you said - it's nothing uncommon these days. Hell, I myself am currently offering pre-orders of an unfinished game on my website.

Anyway... Gonna play as the Mage now. Had a really good run as the Warrior yesterday. Then I got killed by a door  Angry.

Tom Grochowiak
Nachtfischer
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2011, 06:22:28 AM »

Anyway... Gonna play as the Mage now. Had a really good run as the Warrior yesterday. Then I got killed by a door  Angry.
Haha, I thought that happened to mee, too. But I asume it was rather an enemy right behind the door. You sometimes barely see them, when you open the door and move straight into the room and they are waiting just to kill you in one hit. Wink

I tried the mage and thief once. Actually all of the classes are fun to play and also very different. With the mage you are able to use your abilities (starting with fireball, yay!) much faster, but he can't stand many hits obviously. The thief is maybe somewhere in between warrior and wizard, but also pretty dependent on not getting hit too often (therefore starting with invisibility).
But still my main goal right now is to at least survive the 8th floor with the warrior. Always got killed there because of me not wanting to "waste" (damn, that would be nowhere close to wasting there! xD) potions...

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2011, 06:29:08 AM »

Haha, I thought that happened to mee, too. But I asume it was rather an enemy right behind the door. You sometimes barely see them, when you open the door and move straight into the room and they are waiting just to kill you in one hit.
I assumed it was a trap, but perhaps you are right.

Just played with the Thief after all. Was tons of fun. I managed to find a second invisibility rune, as well as charm and fear spells. With all crowd-control and no destroying power, it became a pretty heavily strategic game. Died stupidly to a spider. Same reason as you -- didn' want to waste potions  Facepalm.

Tom Grochowiak
Nachtfischer
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2011, 07:41:19 AM »

I also noticed that the game can become somewhat tactical. It even reminded me of Desktop Dungeons sometimes, when I was thinking about which enemy to kill first and which abilities to use at what time, you know? Especially since there mostly is a lack of healing potions and you can't use the healing spell (if you found it!) too often.
That actually adds another nice aspect to the (apart from that) very fast-paced gameplay experience. Smiley

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2011, 12:58:05 PM »

Damn, it was almost all too easy with the mage... then the minotaurs appeared Sad.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 05:11:44 AM by TeeGee » Logged

Tom Grochowiak
Nachtfischer
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2011, 03:28:47 AM »

Damn, it was almost all to easy with the mage... then the minotaurs appeared Sad.
I know, that's when stuff gets really hard. Although I figured out, that the polymorph skill is extremely useful for the minos! Wink

Btw: Did write a short (German) first look on the game! Smiley

Gguo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2011, 04:52:26 AM »

Congrats!  Smiley

I'm glad to see lots of commercial roguelike game is released!

Nachtfischer
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2011, 05:42:21 AM »

Absolutely! Dungeons of Dredmor, Cardinal Quest, some small Android- and XBOX-stuff. But still there are not enough by far!  Grin

tametick
Level 3

Could take weeks, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2011, 05:56:36 AM »

Absolutely! Dungeons of Dredmor, Cardinal Quest, some small Android- and XBOX-stuff. But still there are not enough by far!  Grin

You forgot 100 rogues and sword of fargoal!

Nachtfischer
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2011, 06:03:00 AM »

Sorry, that was because those are the iOS things I'm (sadly!) not able to play. Sad

tametick
Level 3

Could take weeks, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2011, 06:06:04 AM »

Sorry, that was because those are the iOS things I'm (sadly!) not able to play. Sad

Sword of Fargoal is also for the PC & mac.

Nachtfischer
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2011, 06:25:11 AM »

Sword of Fargoal is also for the PC & mac.
It is? On this site on "Buy now" it only says iOS, iPad, Mac... unless you mean the much older original version? Is that one actually still sold?

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic