Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411539 Posts in 69383 Topics- by 58441 Members - Latest Member: Amit Kumar

May 02, 2024, 10:46:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallGauge : a free - experimental - sport game for PC
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Gauge : a free - experimental - sport game for PC  (Read 3312 times)
EtiennePerin
Level 0

Muscle !

View Profile WWW
« on: September 26, 2011, 04:21:21 AM »

Download link www.etienneperin.com/ext/game/gauge/download.php
Web page www.etienneperin.com/game/gauge/
Leaderboard http://etienneperin.com/games/gauge/leaderboard

Hello, today I'm proud to introduce you to Gauge, the first game I released since I decided to create game on my own.

A "sport" game? This?
Yes, gauge is kind of a sport game. It's a very physical game, you're gonna need to train your arm and have a good endurance if you want to beat the hi-score.

How did I end up develloping such a game?
Well I started its developpement because I didn't have any inspiration for graphic design at the time. Before I started Gauge, I was trying to make a shoot them up, but I wasn't able to do any graphics for it. The only thing I was able to do was creating ennemies behaviours, gameplay mechanics and level design with rectangles shooting circles on other rectangles.  Tongue

So I started thinking : "ok, I'm not able to create a game with great graphics for now, let's try to create a game without graphics".

The devellopement
It took me 10 days to create the first version of the game... "First" because the version you can play today is the third one. To get from the first to the third version I worked around 3 months. 3 month of gameplay tunning, symplifying the concept adding minimalistics visuals, jokes and sounds that would be attractive and addictive for the player.
That was the hardest part in the developpement "how to be attractive, addictive AND minimalistic ?" I worked 3 months on the game, but on a period that last almost 8 months... Yes, it take time to find minimalistics ideas.

gauge v.1 / gauge v.2 / gauge v.3 The differences are obvious isn't it !? Wink

The result
What do I think about the game ?... Well I'm proud to release it now, but I know it could be really, really better. There still so many ideas I could find with such a concept, but after 8 months with it in my mind, I needed to release it. Gauge is the kind of game with a neverending developpement as it's an experimental game, you can always experiment new stuff.

As weird as it can seems, one day, I'll probably make Gauge 2, but for now, I need to see people playing this one. I need your advises, comments and SCORES !! Smiley

I hope you'll have fun !
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 04:09:40 AM by EtiennePerin » Logged

Ninomojo
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 07:42:48 AM »

This is a terrific example of gameplay emancipating itself from all disruption.

Goodis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 08:20:45 AM »

I wish my first game could be like that.

Score : 37.490.756

Good ? Bad ?
astrofra
Level 3

CG Hoister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 08:34:02 AM »

Mine is 16.000.000 something... :')
I love the gameplay & concept.

If this was to be more narrative & less minimalistic, it could be told as the story of 3 astronauts flying in a shuttle on fire, heading for a remote galaxy.
The further you go, the more points you get. The faster you go, the hotter the ship's shield gets. And then, boom.

EtiennePerin
Level 0

Muscle !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 08:37:43 AM »

It's not bad, but it's possible do do much, MUCH more.

Don't hesitate to post your score on the leaderboard from the Title Screen.
The competition is open ! Wink

http://etienneperin.com/games/gauge/leaderboard

Thanks for playing by the way !

EtiennePerin
Level 0

Muscle !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 04:36:59 AM »

If this was to be more narrative & less minimalistic.

There is a sort of "story / narration" behind the minimalistic aspect, it's up to the player to discover it.

Goodis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 07:03:20 PM »

Fra I crushed your miserable score.
Great game, simple and effective.
It would be good to be able to pause[alt+tab automatically pauses]/move the window...Think about people bored in their office (not me of course).
it is strange that you have to "reboot" the game to submit your score and retry.
You probably have a good reason for that but submit and retry buttons should be on the result screen imo
EtiennePerin
Level 0

Muscle !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 11:03:40 PM »

Well, the pause button... I took it in consideration, but the extremist i Am decided to not add on. I didn't want the player to have some "rest". It's quite hard I know, but it's part of the "endurance" experience.

It's se same for the sounds, at first i added a on/off button, but I wanted that each player get through the same "pain" at the same time.  Evil

Moving the window would probably have been a hard thing to do for me at the time I started to developpe the game.

The part where you are perfectly wright, is the part about the score submission... I really don't remember why I did it this way. I'm considering to maybe make an update of the game but it could cause some problem with the game save, i need to think about it really seriously and carefully though...

I'll see what i can do... Many thanks for your advises. Smiley

Troshinsky
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 02:59:18 PM »

This is actually quite clever.

It dosen´t feel lika a sport game at first, but it definitely does after a while. I feels like training in a gym. There are some nice surprises and variations and it stupidly addictive.

The visual and sound design is really nice.

Conglaturations!

EtiennePerin
Level 0

Muscle !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 04:25:11 AM »

Thank you Torshinsky.
Actually, I remember the first time I make a score around 9.000.000.000 of points. I played for almost an half hour, and pressed more than 6000 times the spacebar ... Well I remember I felt a little sick during many hours after I played...  Tongue

it is strange that you have to "reboot" the game to submit your score and retry.

Goodis, I just uploaded a new version on my website. It's now possible to send your score from the gameover screen. ### But be carefull ###
If you don't want to lose your scores and player ID from the previous version, you must replace only the .exe file in your folder. I recommand you to do a backup of your "gauge_save.ini" before you unzip the new version.

You can also decide to keep the 1rst version if you want, It's gonna become a collector. Wink

Troshinsky
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 02:40:21 AM »

Hey, congrats con getting it featured on the indiegames blog!

EtiennePerin
Level 0

Muscle !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 03:39:22 AM »

Wow thanks, i didn't noticed that ! Cool !

tesselode
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2011, 01:11:20 PM »

Nice job with this. I really like the aesthetic. At first I thought the gameplay was a little shallow, but it turned out to be a lot more fun than I thought.

And when the game is in fullscreen mode, if you concentrate hard enough, you'll start seeing a weird rotated square in your vision. Smiley

Anyway, nice job.
EtiennePerin
Level 0

Muscle !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2011, 01:13:45 AM »

Ha ha, I never noticed the optical thing with the full screen mode... Nice! :D

EtiennePerin
Level 0

Muscle !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2011, 01:55:50 AM »

Anyway, nice job.

I return you the compliment tesselod, I just watched to your fractals, and played aetherbeats (and scored 73 000 points). It's funny, I can see some similarities between your game and mine, how you tuned and thinked the levels (with specific paterns that gets harder when you complet a loop etc etc).

I'll release my next game - SQUARE - in a month and I believe you could like it.
Ho, and I'm impatient to see what come out with "Tilt Alpha", you obviously have a really good mechanic to do a really great and addictive game here.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic