Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411528 Posts in 69382 Topics- by 58437 Members - Latest Member: isabel.adojo

May 02, 2024, 07:17:44 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneraldoes anyone read the dev logs?
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: does anyone read the dev logs?  (Read 8829 times)
Dr. Büni
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2020, 01:17:25 AM »

I do read the devlogs that interest me. Sadly, at the moment, there is only one that captivates my attention (Leilani's Island). I have been following it for years.
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2020, 01:27:31 AM »

That's kind of an impossibly high standard you're setting for others though Cheesy. Having that clarity of writing requires both having a gift for it and then putting in the work to get good at it as well.
brainwipe
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2020, 06:50:20 AM »

I read a few each day over coffee, I do leave feedback where I can. Quite a lot of the games are not my interest but the process of their creation is. If the devlog is filled with lore or art or release deadlines, then that's not interesting to me. If there are more "what I did" or mechanics choices, then I definitely leave a comment.

From a devlogger's perspective, I get the most feedback from the community on my videos and the many Discord servers I seem to be on. I did get a few good bits of feedback from people here but it's much rarer. That might be due to the quality of my own posts. I'll try and improve that.

I don't mind, tho! I'll keep writing them because they are cathartic. I'm sorry that the community has changed so it is difficult to recognise; the best thing to save it is keep plugging the content you do want to see and others will follow suit. That takes effort to do, though.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2020, 07:20:57 AM »

Quite a lot of the games are not my interest but the process of their creation is. If the devlog is filled with lore or art or release deadlines, then that's not interesting to me. If there are more "what I did" or mechanics choices, then I definitely leave a comment.
I relate to this statement so much!

I love following the design discussions on many devlogs - even amateurish ones. Games I that actually feel like playing (when compared to other things I can do with my limited time) are extremely rare though, and that is not a critique of those games whose devlogs I follow.
Dr. Büni
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2020, 09:56:07 AM »

I read a few each day over coffee, I do leave feedback where I can. Quite a lot of the games are not my interest but the process of their creation is. If the devlog is filled with lore or art or release deadlines, then that's not interesting to me. If there are more "what I did" or mechanics choices, then I definitely leave a comment.

From a devlogger's perspective, I get the most feedback from the community on my videos and the many Discord servers I seem to be on. I did get a few good bits of feedback from people here but it's much rarer. That might be due to the quality of my own posts. I'll try and improve that.

I don't mind, tho! I'll keep writing them because they are cathartic. I'm sorry that the community has changed so it is difficult to recognise; the best thing to save it is keep plugging the content you do want to see and others will follow suit. That takes effort to do, though.
I appreciate your perspective. I will give a little more of my attention to devlogs even if the games aren't my cup of tea.
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2020, 11:33:22 AM »

Even a few comments can mean a lot to a developer, so I always try to interact with people's games when I can. Sometimes I do get a vibe like someone isn't looking for too much in the way of feedback and is less open to commenting? I like doing posts in the feedback forum more because it means I can point out areas where I got confused or bored.

Slapdash
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2020, 09:07:02 PM »

I am online reading often. I don't post much though as there are many people here with a lot more tallent and insight, good advice to give than I ever could on the subject.I have a feeling all these Discord servers/channels has a lot to do with forums slowly fading away in terms of useful discussions.
Discord is very useful but still prefer the good old forum format for going back and following up with where projects are etc.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2020, 11:37:54 AM »

Discord is very useful but still prefer the good old forum format for going back and following up with where projects are etc.
Goodness do I feel this.
Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2020, 04:39:28 PM »

it's 2020 and nothing reaches anyone unless it's on their ig/twitter/fb feed

that plus the original tight knit, feedback driven culture of tigsource died long ago. this place used to be an incubator for new games, now it's just a giant advertisement board, which is regrettable.

Yep. Part of me kinda misses how things used to be, but the fact is that we've all moved on to other social media. I still stop by here from time to time to see if there's anything interesting, but the community aspect is long dead.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2020, 03:15:47 AM »

I don't feel like it's dead tbh, just more quiet. Then again I don't really like twitter, it feels too out in the open.

This forum is going for a drink in the corner pub, Twitter is going for a drink somewhere really visible, like a terrace on the main square of a big city or something.
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2020, 06:40:36 AM »

it's weird to me how the sort of semi-private, somewhat anonymous, half transient half permanent community that forums offer just turned out to be something not a lot of people cared about.
Discord comes the closest to replacing it and that's not really close at all.

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2020, 09:21:47 AM »

I despise the discord experience, and I don't even know why. It feels like Slack but even worse for me - and I'm 100% aware that this is something subjective that I can't even break down
CactiHugger
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2020, 03:29:08 AM »

I spent 30 minutes going through this entire forum in a long time. It is a depressing barren place. Town Hall might as well be removed entirely. Devlogs and playtestesting, consider yourself lucky if you have 2 or more posts from another human being. How can this site be the main game dev forum on planet earth? Twilight zone.
Dr. Büni
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2020, 02:17:11 AM »

I don't feel like it's dead tbh, just more quiet. Then again I don't really like twitter, it feels too out in the open.

This forum is going for a drink in the corner pub, Twitter is going for a drink somewhere really visible, like a terrace on the main square of a big city or something.
I personally detest twitter. Really dreading the idea of using that site once I start posting about my game.
Slapdash
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2020, 02:08:16 PM »

Same, but seems that’s where most are going. It’s a real pity.
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2020, 03:41:06 AM »

Twitter is a shitty MMORPG, and I already hated MMORPGs
Ashedragon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2020, 12:03:16 PM »

I read a number of them regularly; I just don't always have anything to say or contribute to the topic, and posting "Wow, cool!" over and over seems rather meaningless.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2020, 12:34:14 PM »

I think most devs appreciate at least one reply to see that you're interested though Smiley
Ashedragon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2020, 04:19:03 PM »

I'm sure they do, as I do as well, but I will only say something if I have something to say.  If my singular comment is the difference between a project dying and it being continued, then it wasn't worth very much from the start.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2020, 03:55:56 AM »

You're conflating the project and the devlog. There is barely a point in writing a devlog if nobody reads it, and leaving a comment is the only way to know that hose posts are actually read.

I mean, that's the whole discussion point of this topic.

(Also, I really dislike the expression "then it wasn worth very much to begin with" - it speaks with an authority to judge others that is quite unearned IMO Roll Eyes)
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic