Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411582 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 12:15:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWhat are you reading?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 95
Print
Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 211440 times)
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: February 18, 2009, 07:46:38 PM »

The last book I read was Creating Emotion In Games:

I was half way through the 2nd read and still got a lot out of the book.

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Gold Cray
Level 10

Gold Cray

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: February 18, 2009, 07:55:29 PM »

Right now I am reading A Storm of Swords (Song of Ice and Fire series, book 3) by George R.R. Martin.
That's the next one on my list. I'm trying to space them out so that I don't suddenly run out and end up waiting years for the next one like everyone else.
TheBlackMask
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 18, 2009, 07:58:15 PM »

Emotion in Games = Saving some chick with a spirit coming out of her ass while fighting off aliens...sounds about right Corny Laugh
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: February 18, 2009, 08:04:31 PM »

Emotion in Games = Saving some chick with a spirit coming out of her ass while fighting off aliens...sounds about right Corny Laugh
Hehe Well said.

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 18, 2009, 08:33:21 PM »

Awesome's an emotion right?  Hand Shake Right

gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: February 18, 2009, 08:40:27 PM »

Awesome's an emotion right?  Hand Shake Right
You just made it into one.

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 19, 2009, 12:00:59 AM »

I'm embarrassed to say I'm reading Twilight.

And yeah, it's girlie as fuck.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Fuzz
« Reply #107 on: February 19, 2009, 12:45:41 AM »

Why? What in hell do you like about the endless repetitions of "I looked into his shiny golden eyes and felt inadequate"? I suggest you read this.

Also, this is amazing:
Quote from: some guy
I, too, went to a Breaking Dawn Midnight Release Party. I got there about three hours before midnight, dealt with the hordes of people, waited in a line of about 90 teenage girls, and then confused the hell out of the cashier by just buying Dostoevsky’s Crime and Punishment.

I figure, the books I like never get Midnight Release parties (since when was the last time you saw a line of people waiting for the latest Norton Critical edition of, well, anything), so I’d have to go to one for a different book and just pretend.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 19, 2009, 01:47:35 AM »

Good on you!

I couldn't get past the first paragraph, which makes me feel kind of bad when I tell people that it's shit.

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 19, 2009, 07:42:36 AM »

Why? What in hell do you like about the endless repetitions of "I looked into his shiny golden eyes and felt inadequate"? I suggest you read this.

I didn't say I was liking it.  My girlfriend borrowed the series from a friend of hers, and there's nothing else in the house currently that I haven't read at least once.  And I'll pretty much read whatever is available.  It's the book equivalent of watching junk TV at four in the morning I guess.

If it's any consolation, yes it is utter crap.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Fuzz
« Reply #110 on: February 19, 2009, 08:13:23 AM »

I didn't say I was liking it.  My girlfriend borrowed the series from a friend of hers, and there's nothing else in the house currently that I haven't read at least once.  And I'll pretty much read whatever is available.  It's the book equivalent of watching junk TV at four in the morning I guess.

If it's any consolation, yes it is utter crap.
Ah. I read the first couple chapters to find out exactly how bad it was. It was worse than shit.
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 19, 2009, 08:37:24 AM »

Ah. I read the first couple chapters to find out exactly how bad it was. It was worse than shit.

You didn't even make it to the best-of-the-worst part (and I'll not bother spoilering it):

There's a chapter where Edward takes whatshername to some secluded flowery glen in the middle of the forest to show her what happens to him when he's in direct sunlight (and also, presumably, to get the Master Sword).  I'd already accepted the fact that sunlight didn't kill him, but I wasn't prepared for what happened next...

Keep in mind, this is an opportunity for the author to introduce a character flaw to a character that is desperately lacking in flaws... to create some sort of drama in the character, set things up for future conflicts or whatever.  I was expecting that maybe Edward looked a little ghoulish or monstery or something in direct sunlight.  Something that would make some sort of sense, at least, for a vampire that isn't harmed by the sun.

But no.  His skin literally glows and glitters like diamonds and he's even more dazzlingly beautiful than normal.  No, I'm not shitting you.

I had to put down the book and vent at my girlfriend about how completely stupid that was, at length.  It's a testament to her character that she completely agrees with me (she's amused at how totally schlocky the books are as well.)

tweet tweet @j_younger
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 19, 2009, 09:01:03 AM »

This website is excellent. It's a pity it doesn't update often, since it's exactly the kind of website that I like to browse through when I'm bored.

Listening to people who have nothing better to do than slam popular books is almost always entertaining.
r.kachowski
Level 5

and certainly no love below

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: February 19, 2009, 09:49:55 AM »

The last book I read was Creating Emotion In Games

I read that a while ago, IIRC it was all about writing and scripting - nothing to do with gameplay, themes or mechanics.

The author kept inventing his own awkward phrases which really put me off (emotioneering  WTF)

I'm trying to get my library to buy Game Feel by Steve Swink, but I know how tight assed they are  Hand Shake Left Angry Hand Shake Right
Corpus
« Reply #114 on: February 19, 2009, 10:22:31 AM »

I'm reading some of Ernest Hemingway's short stories.
Stargoat
Level 2

Goat of the Stars

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 19, 2009, 10:34:22 AM »

I'm reading some of Ernest Hemingway's short stories.

The old man's a huge fan of Hemmingway.

I'm reading Neuromancer at the moment.
Ina Vegt
Level 1

Girl Game Developer

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 19, 2009, 10:39:48 AM »

The Edda
JOGL documentation
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: February 19, 2009, 11:16:03 AM »

The last book I read was Creating Emotion In Games

I read that a while ago, IIRC it was all about writing and scripting - nothing to do with gameplay, themes or mechanics.

The author kept inventing his own awkward phrases which really put me off (emotioneering  WTF)

I'm trying to get my library to buy Game Feel by Steve Swink, but I know how tight assed they are  Hand Shake Left Angry Hand Shake Right
Heh heh it wasn't that hard to keep up with Freeman's terms. But I am the only one I know who likes the book. I'm planning on getting Pause & Effect The Art Of Narratives one of these days. http://www.amazon.com/Pause-Effect-Interactive-Narrative-VOICES/dp/0735711712

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Fuzz
« Reply #118 on: February 19, 2009, 04:29:48 PM »

You didn't even make it to the best-of-the-worst part (and I'll not bother spoilering it):

There's a chapter where Edward takes whatshername to some secluded flowery glen in the middle of the forest to show her what happens to him when he's in direct sunlight (and also, presumably, to get the Master Sword).  I'd already accepted the fact that sunlight didn't kill him, but I wasn't prepared for what happened next...

Keep in mind, this is an opportunity for the author to introduce a character flaw to a character that is desperately lacking in flaws... to create some sort of drama in the character, set things up for future conflicts or whatever.  I was expecting that maybe Edward looked a little ghoulish or monstery or something in direct sunlight.  Something that would make some sort of sense, at least, for a vampire that isn't harmed by the sun.

But no.  His skin literally glows and glitters like diamonds and he's even more dazzlingly beautiful than normal.  No, I'm not shitting you.

I had to put down the book and vent at my girlfriend about how completely stupid that was, at length.  It's a testament to her character that she completely agrees with me (she's amused at how totally schlocky the books are as well.)
I never read that part, but I've heard enough teenage girls rave about it to know that. Even worse is the vegetarian vampire aspect. How the fuck is he still a vampire if he only sucks animal blood and glitters in the sun? Also, why did your girlfriend read it if she thinks it's stupid?
The Edda
I have to get around to reading that sometime...
necronamek
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 19, 2009, 11:20:54 PM »

I've actually started reading works by German philosopher, Friedrich Nietzsche.
He's quite interesting actually. I'm focusing mainly on Thus Spoke Zarathustra and The Antichrist. I recommend giving his works a thorough read.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 95
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic