Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411713 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 21, 2024, 09:34:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGOONS 'N GAUGES - On-Rail Shooter in GM:Studio
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: GOONS 'N GAUGES - On-Rail Shooter in GM:Studio  (Read 3355 times)
doobieshrum
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: August 18, 2016, 12:37:36 PM »

on-rails drug overlord nemesis infiltration

Most recent screenshot/gif:

First screenshot/gif posted on this devlog:

Being made in Game Maker.
Im pretty new to programming in general so this is a pretty ambitious project for me. I was supposed to be working on this for a week but like anything it has snowballed into something a little bigger. Its got to the point where I see some potential and Im proud of what Ive put into the game that I thought I'd make a log for people to feast their eyes upon.

Estimated DEV time - 2 weeks?

Still alot of features to implement such as Enemy AI, Health, ammo. And alot of level design and placeholder pixel art to banish back to the lands of mediocrity.

Thanks for checking it out!

« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 04:47:03 PM by doobieshrum » Logged

twitter - @doobieshrum
twitter - @doobieshrum
twitter - @doobieshrum
Pixelologist
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 12:38:43 PM »

I'm not seeing either of the images.
alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 12:39:21 PM »

You have to use the actual image URL and not the imgur link.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 01:15:14 PM by alvarop » Logged

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
doobieshrum
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 12:43:24 PM »

Well, I really ballsed that up.
All good, thanks.

twitter - @doobieshrum
twitter - @doobieshrum
twitter - @doobieshrum
alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 01:15:35 PM »

Looks really cool though!!  Evil Evil Evil

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
doobieshrum
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 05:27:38 PM »

Looks really cool though!!  Evil Evil Evil

Thanks bud!

It was my birthday today so I didnt do much except fix the placeholder cover sprite! (although its still rough)

twitter - @doobieshrum
twitter - @doobieshrum
twitter - @doobieshrum
Ninety
Level 1

turnip boy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 02:14:36 AM »

Saw this on Twitter, really like the graphics. Especially impressed that you're doing it in GameMaker. I'll be following.

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 04:01:37 AM »

ACTION!

doobieshrum
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2016, 01:29:08 PM »

ACTION!

Big inspiration to the game, hoping I can get a sweet soundtrack made, or if I don't have any luck I'll see what I can whip up on fruity loops. That being said, if anyone is interested in making a track or two following in the same vein as point blank or time crisis, hit me up on twitter - @doobieshrum. Unfortunately wouldn't be paid as this is just a little project but just for experience sake, get in touch Smiley

Saw this on Twitter, really like the graphics. Especially impressed that you're doing it in GameMaker. I'll be following.

Thanks buddy! I'm definitely more of an artist than a programmer but it's something I'm looking to balance out. I'm looking forward to the challenges game maker have for me for taking on the challenge!

twitter - @doobieshrum
twitter - @doobieshrum
twitter - @doobieshrum
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2016, 02:49:08 PM »

just a couple of things to suggest:

1. all the pc ports of lightgun shooters where you have to shoot off screen to reload become trivialised with mouse control or worse if it becomes a button press. i know with the time crisis cover mechanic that's somewhat mitigated, but maybe you could experiment with slightly randomising the direction and height at which you leave cover each time you pop out? obviously a mouse doesn't have the novelty of a lightgun but maybe you could try using the mousewheel in cover for inserting new clips/pulling the slide or whatever, just for a little bit of gimmick interactivity.

2. it gets forgotten a lot because it was just one third of a licensed game, but the lightgun game in die hard trilogy has a few neat things going for it and is worth a look today. it has the best ammo counter in a lightgun game and lots of cool goofy stuff like being able to set off sprinklers, kill people with falling ceiling tiles, etc.
doobieshrum
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2016, 03:39:06 PM »

just a couple of things to suggest:

1. all the pc ports of lightgun shooters where you have to shoot off screen to reload become trivialised with mouse control or worse if it becomes a button press. i know with the time crisis cover mechanic that's somewhat mitigated, but maybe you could experiment with slightly randomising the direction and height at which you leave cover each time you pop out? obviously a mouse doesn't have the novelty of a lightgun but maybe you could try using the mousewheel in cover for inserting new clips/pulling the slide or whatever, just for a little bit of gimmick interactivity.

2. it gets forgotten a lot because it was just one third of a licensed game, but the lightgun game in die hard trilogy has a few neat things going for it and is worth a look today. it has the best ammo counter in a lightgun game and lots of cool goofy stuff like being able to set off sprinklers, kill people with falling ceiling tiles, etc.

Thanks for the suggestions, im definetly going to be experimenting with alot of system to find which feels right. The mouse wheel to insert/remove clips is something Im definetly gonna try and I think may work extremely well. Providing different options for the player like shooting different parts of enemies and picking alternate routes was something I want to include. I really want the player to really have an effect on the world, since this is a drug gang I was thinking to have piles of cocaine ontop of crates which the player can shoot to blind enemies or make them stronger since theyve just done like 10 grams of cocaine or something. Whatever is fun.

Heres what I did today.

+ Screenshake
+ Ammo
+ Refined collisions

twitter - @doobieshrum
twitter - @doobieshrum
twitter - @doobieshrum
doobieshrum
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2016, 03:57:45 AM »

+ Basic reload system

Alot of tweeking to be done but you can now slide the mouse wheel up/down to reload your pistol. Excuse the placeholder art, this guy currently has 3 arms.

twitter - @doobieshrum
twitter - @doobieshrum
twitter - @doobieshrum
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2016, 07:24:00 AM »

duke nukem had 3 at least legs. no big deal
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2016, 07:49:39 AM »

this is amazing. (won't be so bad to keep the 3 arms, love this absurdism)
muki
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2016, 08:45:17 AM »

Oh man, this is giving me Area 51 / Time Crysis / House of the Dead flashbacks  Crazy Crazy Crazy

RELOAD
RELOAD
RELOAD
RELOAD
doobieshrum
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2016, 02:59:41 PM »

duke nukem had 3 at least legs. no big deal

Duke Nukem: Goons & Gauges confirmed.

Oh man, this is giving me Area 51 / Time Crysis / House of the Dead flashbacks  Crazy Crazy Crazy

RELOAD
RELOAD
RELOAD
RELOAD

Hope I can do them justice.

this is amazing. (won't be so bad to keep the 3 arms, love this absurdism)

Im really torn between keeping the 3 arms now, everyone says they love it. You strange people.

twitter - @doobieshrum
twitter - @doobieshrum
twitter - @doobieshrum
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2016, 03:26:07 PM »

you should show one arm holding the other arm like a stick and pulling the clip in/out with it
muki
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2016, 06:09:58 PM »

you should show one arm holding the other arm like a stick and pulling the clip in/out with it

THIS
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2016, 06:17:34 PM »

ya if you do keep it, you have to make it a little more obvious that it was done as a deliberate joke i think.

anyway, looking good.
doobieshrum
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2016, 04:37:09 PM »

You guys are crazy.
Heres the new Logo I worked on today. The games name itself is inspired by Ghouls 'n Goblins although it has absolutely nothing to do with it (I dont think) but I also used the logo for that game as a reference too.

I also worked on the HUD a little with the reload animations. I've never put effort into a UI before but I understand the importance of making sure everything about the game feels good rather than just player interaction.

Also worked on some new enemy designs which Im very excited about. Here are some unlucky buggers who you will shoot in the face alot.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 04:44:30 PM by doobieshrum » Logged

twitter - @doobieshrum
twitter - @doobieshrum
twitter - @doobieshrum
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic