Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411716 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 21, 2024, 03:47:53 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGOONS 'N GAUGES - On-Rail Shooter in GM:Studio
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: GOONS 'N GAUGES - On-Rail Shooter in GM:Studio  (Read 3357 times)
doobieshrum
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2016, 12:16:44 PM »

Just a quick update! Been facing alot of memory problems as Ive been very lazy with my sprites and the way im handling my pre-rendered 3d backgrounds in Game Maker. Mostly been just sorting out the file sizes of alot of my sprites. Im also figuring out a way I can draw the sprites for the background but still have then animate such as move up when im in cover. Right now I have an object in every room which has the room sprite on it, not very efficient but its the only way I know how to do it right now

On the plus side I decorated a bit in Blender so atleast it looks cooler at the moment. Not sure about the colors at the moment though. The project started very colorful but has grown more desaturated since I tried to balance out the enemi
es from the backgrounds as the enemies didnt really stand out from it. Tell me what you think.

twitter - @doobieshrum
twitter - @doobieshrum
twitter - @doobieshrum
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2016, 12:45:54 PM »

Love the style of this Smiley

lobstersteve
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2016, 07:51:12 AM »

hell yeah, looks great Smiley i also wanted to make a game like this, for the love of nes games with the zapper and old arcade shooters Smiley
freank
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2016, 09:17:20 AM »

funny game ! Good work !

My last game:

Supporter of
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2016, 09:56:24 AM »

if it's pre rendered how do you handle that in game maker. does it have video file support or is it image sequences
absenter
Level 1

I push pixels.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2016, 04:03:11 PM »

This is looking great. Can't wait to see more.

doobieshrum
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2016, 03:05:38 PM »

Thank you all for your kind words, really helps with motivation.

The amount of lovely headshot gore gifs have dropped this week as I was rebuilding a couple systems in the game to make them more efficient and to ensure I dont run into problems in the future when I start implementing A.I, which by the way is going to be pretty difficult for me as my A.I knowledge only extends to making an enemy chase after some guy at the moment. I have alot to learn about it.

I feel like I shouldnt really be making this game, instead I should be working on my programming skills since this is what I initially set out to do. I realized that from this project alone I have learned a ton of new functions in game maker to add to my code-brain-library, so I guess it isnt too bad as long as im actively learning new things during the development. We will see if I hit any brick walls during the A.I and if so I'll probably put this on hold and come back to it when I know what im doing.

This being said we will see what happens in the next week. I've never really finished a game before so this would be such an achievement, and one that hopely will get me kickstarted into pumping out games efficiently.

Here is a GIF for now, it shows off the new particles i've implemented (I knew nothing about particles before I started) and it also shows the new cover mechanic which (hopefully) you shouldnt be able to see any changes as I just remade it more efficiently, may have made it a tad faster for gameplay sake. Ive also been trying to make the enemies have bulletholes and flesh wounds whereever you shoot them but I feel its too advanced for me at this stage, unless I completely change the way the enemies spawn and draw them as surfaces in Game Maker, may change it, well see.

bleurgh

twitter - @doobieshrum
twitter - @doobieshrum
twitter - @doobieshrum
doobieshrum
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2016, 05:00:53 PM »

After a short break from gamedev stuff Im back to work on Goons & Gauges!

Been busy with none-game related stuff recently but Im ready to get this project done so I can move onto over ideas I have going, and boy do I have a few.

The main stuff I need to do right now is program all the enemy types and build the rest of the level. I'll do a long cool devlog post soon.

Heres whats going on:

bleurgh

twitter - @doobieshrum
twitter - @doobieshrum
twitter - @doobieshrum
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic