Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411524 Posts in 69381 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 05:55:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs▲ Startron ▲ (The procedurally generated ASCII space sandbox)
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]
Print
Author Topic: ▲ Startron ▲ (The procedurally generated ASCII space sandbox)  (Read 28073 times)
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: November 02, 2022, 01:04:27 AM »

Update v0.86
Lovely weather we're having Gomez

• Finally planets have proper clouds with more interesting effects (soon to be introduced to moons & gas giants in an upcoming version)
    The clouds don't actually move this fast, the first gif was taken as I was developing things.
    I've essentially converted a big list of cloud objects (a stopgap solution I unwillingly used for way too long here) into a 2D array so I can actually do cloud interactions, physics, rendering techniques & other things way more easily now (this was always the plan, it just took me a while to get round to it).

• Also now you can't fly miles away from a planet/moon/station etc. either (that just felt messy and dumb)

• Tackled a large chunk of tech debt after agreeing with myself how to organise things (thanks to my time off for this one)

• Fixed the sun appearing at the wrong position on the menu after having been in game

• Added some debug variables (accessible with F1) in case people need to show me things (or I need to debug something myself Big Laff)

Just a small update this time, more coming soon!

Oh god I love it! Kiss

I know it's "just" a bit of parallax scrolling but it works so well. I tend to have more of a soft spot for these types of "do a lot with low-tech solutions" graphics than for "high quality" ones.
Rogod
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #321 on: November 02, 2022, 10:38:34 AM »

"do a lot with low-tech solutions"
You hit the nail on the head there - this is Startron's whole philosophy Beer!

The funny thing is I'm not even sure it counts as parallax scrolling; I'm just shifting a 2D array left horizontally at the front and right horizontally at the back with a distance check from the centre of the planet to confine them to a circle. Gomez

I suppose the clouds being a separate layer to the surface counts a little as parallax though.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: November 03, 2022, 02:54:48 AM »

Well, if the stars in the background are on a different layer it counts, yes Smiley
vdapps
Level 5

Head against wall since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #323 on: November 04, 2022, 09:54:57 AM »

It never stops amazing me, what you can do with just ASCII. It looks just gorgeous! Gentleman

I'm wondering what algorithm you used to generate clouds. You brainstormed something by yourself, or you took inspiration from somewhere?

Rogod
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #324 on: November 04, 2022, 11:53:57 AM »

Hah, what algorithm I used Cheesy

I just make everything up as I go - it just chooses random cloud seeds and a few random iterations of left/right/up/down for each to get a vague cloud-pattern and bam, that's it. Grin

I appreciate the compliment though - I am amazed what can be done with ASCII too sometimes Gentleman

nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #325 on: November 04, 2022, 04:25:15 PM »

Looks so cool!

Rogod
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #326 on: November 05, 2022, 04:35:00 AM »

Looks so cool!
Yay Gomez That's what it's all about Beer!

Rogod
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #327 on: December 01, 2022, 11:42:09 AM »

Update v0.87

• Moons and gas giants now have clouds around them too
    Also generally tweaked the cloud speed & quantities a little too

• Added version to debug info

• Fixed a beep that was missing when flagging a system from the system overview

• Fixed a rare crash that can occur when self-destructing depending on what is currently targetted

Meant to finish this version up a while ago but some distractions did a distract Blink

Also by pure coincidence this got released today:
Someone has overwritten Startron with https://store.steampowered.com/app/2138190/StarTron/
I guess that's it then... Noir
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 09:31:27 AM by Rogod » Logged

vdapps
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #328 on: December 02, 2022, 05:45:18 AM »

Nice as always! Gentleman

Geez, that's unfortunate with that Steam release of game with same name as yours! Shocked Do you have some intensions regarding that? If you don't want to go to Steam (or other platforms), you can just ignore it. Or you want change name anyway?

Rogod
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #329 on: December 02, 2022, 09:30:39 AM »

It's likely I'll just do nothing, and hope somebody realises my Startron is 2 years older.

I can't ever see me trying to put Startron on Steam; the installation process is just too clunky for that.

Startron was never intended to be a big-budget release with a million dollar marketing campaign. I'm just happy a handful of people have tried it out - that's good enough for me. Smiley

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: December 04, 2022, 03:01:02 AM »

What's happening in the third screenshot? I mean this one:

https://startron.neocities.org/screenshots/startron139.PNG

It looks like a radial heatsink of a CPU  Tongue

Does it move? Rotate? Is it a gas giant close up?
Rogod
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #331 on: December 04, 2022, 03:28:37 AM »

Yea the gas giants are just more gaseous now.
The background always swirled, but now it's using a different ASCII character, it looks less dumb. - Plus there's foreground+background clouds like the other planets now to help the effect. Gentleman

Rogod
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #332 on: December 30, 2022, 10:58:31 AM »

I do not recommend making a terminal emulator in Unity...

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: December 30, 2022, 03:05:07 PM »

I do not recommend making a terminal emulator in Unity...
LMAO
Rogod
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #334 on: January 30, 2024, 04:11:52 PM »

Something stirs in the darkness...

Something big. Blink

Rogod
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #335 on: February 16, 2024, 05:29:07 PM »

Update v0.88

So... I took some time away from Startron to try out some other projects (I even released a couple) but ultimately came back to Startron after realising the features I was implementing in other projects, were really things I'd always wanted Startron to have in the first place.

Some key things were weighing on my mind when it came to Startron:
  • Automation - I'd basically just implemented the first lazy thing I could think up back in the day, and it unfortunately did not lend itself to particularly engaging gameplay. I'd tried to enhance it with the inventory delta checking system that kept a record of how much of a thing was being produced by an entity while the player was away from it, but this was just an unsatisfactory hack that presented its own set of problems (not to mention needless complexity). Above all though, I hated having to place different directions for conveyors to get anything to move around, so I imagine other players were possibly put off at this point too.
  • Presentation - Simple things like the 3D perspectives not having floors because I didn't invest the time in figuring out how to code such a thing, or menus being fairly ugly, just bothered me and needed replaced. Not to mention the representations of tiles in the actual gameworld were muddled and confusing to work with from a player's perspective and my own as the programmer.
  • Compatibility - Let's be real here, I don't expect the half of people to actually try playing this in a terminal. Knowing this, I basically felt I had to make a Unity emulator if Startron is going to endure between operating systems with any sense of reliability. Frankly it's a miracle the same code works at all between Windows10, Ubuntu & Raspi as it is, but the Unity emulators just ensure there should always be a playable version of Startron somewhere.

I came back to Startron in 2023 Q3 to try and update things along these lines and, after burning out just updating the 3D engine, it ultimately took me until 01/01/2024 before I felt I could actually put all the pieces together the way I wanted.

By the time I'd finished with Startron v0.88, so much had changed (I've basically remade the entire game) that it might as well be a sequel. So with that in mind, I have decided to draw a line and say
Startron v0.87 and below is now considered to be Startron Classic (these versions are largely compatible with one-another), and
Startron v0.88 and above is now considered to be Startron Auto (largely named for the fact the way automation is done is completely different from any of the previous versions). The differences between Classic and Auto go beyond the gameplay into cosmos generation, codebase, compatibility & design too and hence, saves are not cross compatible between Classic & Auto.

So this is what I've been doing for the last month and a half lol:
There were 95 //TODOs: checked off in this update

Enhancements & gameplay:
 Hand Joystick The cosmos generation now generates roughly double the number of systems, with more interesting connections between them
 Pixel 30
 Hand Joystick All building templates, shops & resources have been rebalanced
 Hand Joystick The database has basically been rewritten since most things have changed
 Hand Joystick Gas giants now have their own land-mass generation code separate to rocks
 Pixel 30
 Hand Joystick Lithrogen covered planets (waterworlds) now have a chance to generate as well as the original soil-covered variants
 Pixel 30
 Hand Joystick I remade the intro so it's actually relevant
 Pixel 30
 Hand Joystick The menu system has been remade with funky expandy windows
 Hand Joystick You can now generate and choose from multiple cosmoses (cosmi?)
 Hand Joystick Cosmos data now includes when they were last saved
 Hand Joystick There is now a generation options window (additional options will be added here in future)
 Hand Joystick The space stations have been converted to use the new 3D engine
 Hand Joystick Some space station types generate with fuel pumps on them
 Hand Joystick Automation is now achieved with groups of storage yards adjacent to industries (instead of directional conveyor belts as in Startron Classic)
 Pixel 30
 Hand Joystick The starting resources and starting-story transmissions have been adjusted to account for rebalance and new automation
 Hand Joystick I remade the website

Tweaks & updates:
 Hand Joystick There is now a loading spinner when the game saves
 Hand Joystick Music toggling has been shifted to the options screen
 Hand Joystick Ship addons are now explained in the cosmic database
 Hand Joystick The flipper tiles at the edges of planets & moons are now more obvious
 Hand Joystick The ship markers around the edge of the screen flash so you can see them more clearly now
 Hand Joystick The captain's log background is now black so it's clearer that it's an editable area
 Hand Joystick Entering shops in space stations can be done with space now as you walk (so you don't have to remember the shop-specific key)
 Hand Joystick Magnetars now produce communications interference
 Hand Joystick Prices now vary slightly between space stations
 Hand Joystick All resources of a type can be collected at once from adjoined yards
 Hand Joystick Industries can now be toggled on/off
 Hand Joystick Rocks are now represented with more characters in the system view
 Hand Joystick The 2 language choices have tiny corresponding flags on the options menu
 Hand Joystick Materials/scrap/debris don't all look the same now
 Hand Joystick The ship will now orbit entities in the system view (instead of awkwardly hovering next to them)
 Hand Joystick The ship will now orbit the sun upon entering a system (instead of floating in the middle of nowhere)
 Hand Joystick Verse portal system colour alterations now show in the cosmos view
 Hand Joystick A minimum science rating is now required to operate energy funnels after building
 Hand Joystick Fuel price is now lowered as science rating increases on an entity
 Hand Joystick Build template requirements that aren't met will now flash in the top left so it's clearer what's missing
 Hand Joystick Grass and trees can now be beamed up to acquire organics (not really sure how I intended the user to get this resource in Startron Classic to be honest)
 Hand Joystick When hovering an industry or functional tile, it'll show its respective catchment area if it's expecting resources
 Hand Joystick Lithrogen is now animated
 Hand Joystick Air and ground tile previews now show in the correct colours on the build menu and at the bottom of the screen

Tile logic:
 Hand Joystick Explosion chambers now require lithrogen cooling to function
 Hand Joystick Extractors will now sometimes produce a fluff
 Hand Joystick Mines will now sometimes produce a gemstone
 Hand Joystick Occupied dwelling output is increased when adjacent to trees, grass or gardens
 Hand Joystick Sunlight absorber output is decreased when adjacent to trees
 Hand Joystick There is now an incinerator tile which will destroy any resources in range of it
 Hand Joystick Picker tiles now replace controllers and allow selective grabbing of resources from nearby yards (the resource it chooses to grab can be set by beaming something down onto the picker from the cargo bay)

Minigames:
 Hand Joystick Rock Blaster has been updated to not be so boring and clunky
 Hand Joystick MazeBase now uses a new 3D engine that supports floors & ceilings (also more correct perspective rendering)
 Pixel 30
 Hand Joystick The enemies actually follow you now in MazeBase
 Hand Joystick Stars now show through ceilings in MazeBase
 Hand Joystick Decorative walls and scenery have been added to MazeBase
 Hand Joystick The Spacejack card backs are now randomised

Bugs fixed in this version:
 Hand Any Key Fixed petroop stations never spawning in bottom left of planets
 Hand Any Key Fixed the sun appearing twice in space stations
 Hand Any Key Fixed being able to indefinitely outrun the camera on planets & moons using the flipper tiles
 Hand Any Key Fixed a typo on orbiting
 Hand Any Key Fixed tiles from the opposite hemisphere being interactable off the edge of planets & moons
 Hand Any Key Fixed placing extractors (they just didn't work in v0.87 lol)
 Hand Any Key Fixed rock generated under energy funnels on Grogoth
 Hand Any Key Fixed gas giant rings occluding other characters in the system view

Dev stuff:
 Ninja I wrote a Unity emulator for Startron
 Ninja The engine was converted to be compatible with the Unity emulator
 Ninja The build pipeline now comfortably churns out all 5 different builds of Startron for me to upload
 Ninja The engine was converted from largely static code, to largely object-oriented code (I will point out here, that this change wasn't actually necessary and the codebase was completely manageable in its static form, I just felt like taking on the challenge here to convert it to the industry standard)
 Ninja The entire engine was subsequently refactored and reorganised to make redevelopment of the automation mechanics in-game way easier
 Ninja The automation logic in-game was overhauled (none of this "resources go north of the industry" nonsense - now they just go into any adjacent storage yard, and fill them up as more resources are produced)
 Ninja I removed the delta processing (this was just a workaround for the old clunky conveyor-driven automation from Startron Classic anyway, so had no place in Startron Auto)
 Ninja I removed conveyors (as above)
 Ninja I removed monorails (sadly as much as I liked the concept of monorails, and their tile animation, there just didn't seem to be a good way to slot them into how the new automation mechanisms work, since resources moving along yards/roads/conduits are not limited by distance anymore - maybe I'll think of some way to bring monorails back some day)
 Ninja I removed a somewhat hidden concept of "resources" as distinct from "tiles" in the game - now they are all just the same thing, so technically any tile can be in the player's inventory, and moved around logically in mechanisms, but of course gameplay restrictions apply on top of this where necessary
 Ninja I swapped height for depth (I just didn't like the Y axis being from north to south along an object's tilemap, so this is all the Z axis now in the code, and the concept of the Y axis is reserved for things with height, like ground-tile > air-tile > cloud)
 Ninja Performance of drawing tiles has been improved by removing a load of old clunky switch statements in favour of data-driven mechanisms
 Ninja Ore and resource tiles have been simplified so it is easier to tell what they are on top of
 Ninja Clouds now only darken the backgrounds of tiles, so things get less visually confusing as they blow by

tl;dr:
Unity! Automation overhaul! New 3D! New 2D! New generation! Cosmos rebalance!

« Last Edit: April 19, 2024, 08:56:12 AM by Rogod » Logged

Rogod
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #336 on: February 20, 2024, 03:49:47 AM »

Working on loading the language files from disk, rather than having them hardcoded into the sourcecode.

It's technically possible to do languages like Japanese, but you've got to fiddle around with the terminal font to get it to work (and clearly the kerning is off for whatever font I've got available).

Of course I just bunged it through Google translate; I don't know any other language well enough to make anything beyond en-gb and en-us lol
« Last Edit: February 20, 2024, 04:02:12 AM by Rogod » Logged

vdapps
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #337 on: March 06, 2024, 11:06:12 AM »

Nice to see your project alive! And that 3D Engine... just amazing! I'm heavily interested in retro stuff myself. And 3D engine made in ASCII, even with texturing. Just hat off. Gentleman

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic