Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411528 Posts in 69382 Topics- by 58437 Members - Latest Member: isabel.adojo

May 02, 2024, 08:02:56 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingFantasy XF World 1 (WIP) (playable demo)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Fantasy XF World 1 (WIP) (playable demo)  (Read 1887 times)
sammichcat
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 03, 2008, 12:08:17 AM »

I am a huge fan of Metroidvanias, especially ones with RPG stat-building elements like the post-SotN Castlevanias. However, I have never seen any games of those type attempted in Flash (nor have I seen any true RPGs done properly in Flash, come to think of it); and so, to bring a Metroidvania that is playable in your browser to the people, I decided to stop pumping out all the wacky-assed cartoons I've made in Flash long enough to study ActionScript a little more and bring this project idea to life.

Here's the link to the demo: http://ryoshenron.deviantart.com/art/Fantasy-XF-World-1-Demo-98090564

I'm certainly not a brilliant artist, and so I did rip sprites from NES games, and I know the level art can look a bit crude, but I think it does look rather colorful and doesn't look too bad altogether. I was trying out a unique graphic style by having 8-bit looking sprites in a vector graphic world, but whether or not it really works is something I'm not 100% sure about yet and so I'd like to hear what other people think about it.

There are certainly still bugs, I know, and in fact I'm already aware of some, but I do of course intend to have the final release be as ironed-out as possible so I need to hear about what problems there already are.

Anyway, just give me your honest opinion on how you think it's going so far, especially if you're a Metroidvania fan. Thanks for taking the time to try it out.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 10:58:21 AM »

You might get a better response with screenshots. Typically I don't download a game unless I see a screenshot or three first, and I'm sure most others here are the same way.

muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 11:10:50 AM »

You might get a better response with screenshots. Typically I don't download a game unless I see a screenshot or three first, and I'm sure most others here are the same way.

I agree, though to his defense this is a Flash game, so the barrier to entry is much lower. I actually tried it for a little while when this was posted, but didn't have enough time to evaluate it competently, so I left it at that. Undecided
dmoonfire
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 11:52:21 AM »

Pretty fun from the initial play. The hitting is a bit hard to work with, had trouble getting the timing down for that. But otherwise, a nice sense of humor.
azeo
Level 1

Blank slate!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 01:20:31 PM »

Its good. With a bit more polish, and a helping artist, it could be great.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic