Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411843 Posts in 69419 Topics- by 58464 Members - Latest Member: Riya21

June 01, 2024, 08:06:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralGames you REALLY dislike / hate
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: Games you REALLY dislike / hate  (Read 32219 times)
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 22, 2008, 12:25:19 AM »

Ah yes, this is true. I wasn't even thinking about the Arcade games. I played the Braid demo and it was damn good. Ah, now I have even more to choose from...

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 22, 2008, 12:37:59 AM »

I think you should get Psychonauts, BG&E and Braid. But really, that's just what I would buy in your situation.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: November 22, 2008, 12:40:57 AM »

I got BG&E for 5$ on Steam, when they had a sale on it. I only actually ever buy games on Steam when they have sales. Although when I played the game it tended to crash for me, but at least I only lost 5$.

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 22, 2008, 02:40:21 AM »

I think you should get Psychonauts, BG&E and Braid. But really, that's just what I would buy in your situation.

Yeah, on second thought, after looking at how Microsoft staggers how many points you can buy I am pretty much ruling out Arcade games. I would have to shell out 21.50 just to get enough points to buy Braid and that would only leave me with enough to get a cheap Arcade game and then have about 10 bucks left over for something else. I think I am just going to give myself a few days to play around with Oblivion and see where it goes from there. BG&E and Psychonauts is really tempting though...

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Capten
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 22, 2008, 02:57:29 AM »

CASUAL GAMES : MATCH3s, HOs, ETC... FUCK THE PEOPLE WHO MAKE THESE SHITTY GAMES JUST FOR MONEY, BURN IN HELL

SHITTY FLASH GAMES (AND I THINK THAT DESCRIBES MOST FLASH GAMES NOWADAYS AMIRITE?)

RTS: NOT FUN DUDE

MMOS : SEE RTS

FINAL FANTASIES : ACTUALLY ALL GAMES WITH THE ANIME AESTHETIC, RIDICULOUS CHARACTERS AND PLOTS THAT WERE WRITTEN BY A 25 YEARS OLD OTAKU, IT'S BORING. GROW UP.
This pretty much sums up my thoughts about this matter. I definitely agree with this.

For example, I really hate Final Fantasy 5. Can a plot really be any more generic? "zomg, you walk around the world searching for elemental crystals." Also, probably the only game I hate more is Golden Sun. "Save the world! Crystals that contain the essence of life! Alchemy! Way too much text to read! Cliché characters!". Why do people like that game? It's the same game we have played over 20 times.

The music is what irritates me, too. For some reason I just can't stand listening to Motoi Sakuraba's music.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 22, 2008, 05:09:44 AM »

To be fair, not all JRPGs have stories like that. For example, FFXII is more about politics than magic and features no crystals whatsoe...

Shit, there are crystals in FFXII. God damn. WTF

medieval
« Reply #106 on: November 22, 2008, 05:44:07 AM »

I dislike a lot of mainstream games because they have turned my best friend into a dick.
Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 22, 2008, 05:57:05 AM »

There are no crystals in VI   Cool
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 22, 2008, 06:03:16 AM »

The oddworld game for the xbox. I got it when it first came out (don't remember why) and finally sold it a month ago, after having it for the better part of five or six years. Just couldn't get into it, I would try and beat it, but eventually I would be like "Why, why is everything so slow!!!" and then stop. I don't think I ever got half way.
This makes me cry. This was one of my favorites from the Xbox! Cry

I do love Oblivion, but I agree that it has shortcomings. Since the entire world is accessible from the very beginning, There isn't as much scale as I had hopped there would be. If there were more linear progression, the castles, caves, and ruins could all get progressively larger as you could get to harder and harder areas.

Also, the leveling system is quite exploitable.
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 22, 2008, 06:04:45 AM »

KOTOR
Way too linear and only 3 classes? I didn't like it so much  Cry
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 22, 2008, 06:06:54 AM »

I didn't see what was wrong with KOTOR, per say, but I abruptly lost interest about halfway through and didn't finish it. I guess that means it qualifies.
Lucaz
Level 6

Indier than thou

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: November 22, 2008, 09:30:47 AM »

I haven't played Oblivion yet, but I've faith that it will be good. Tried KOTOR at a friend's place, and it was meh.

I agree with Rinkuhero, the only sport game that I can even play is NBA Jam.

I just remembered Black Sect. It had some charm end everything, but the puzzles where so random. Never again I saw something as absurd as that. For example at a moment you have to use an iron bar in piece of floor that look exactly the same as the rest of the place, and because it's just a small portion of floor that looks completely standard, you are never going to usu "look" on that piece of floor.

Driver.

The concept is all, "Hey, 70s car chases!"

The execution is all, "You've agreed to meet some gangsters.  You decide to leave 45 seconds before the meeting, and these crooks are such sticklers for punctuality, they won't speak to you if you're even a second late. Have fun!"

Not to mention the horribly unbalanced tutorial mission which is more unforgiving than the first third of the game, or how your character gives up if the enemy he's chasing is three blocks away from him on a one way street with no turnoffs for a few miles.

I was never abel to end the tutorial. And when someone else did, tha game after it was as horrible and boring as the tutorial.

Bennett
Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 22, 2008, 10:52:11 AM »

I dislike any sports game besides NBA Jam.

This is basically reasonable, which is why indies should make more sports games. Maybe they would turn out like NBA Jam! However:

- Wii Sports is worth a go
- Hyper Olympic is worth a go, especially with a friend
- Off the Wall (Sente) is one of the best multiplayer games in history, despite the fact that nobody has played it
- Kick Off 2 and Sensible World of Soccer were really quite amazing from a gameplay perspective.
- 720 Degrees is one of my all-time favourites, and one of the few arcade machines I can finish on one quarter.

I dislike highly polished but pointless, vacant games that don't impart anything of value besides addicting gameplay, like the majority of casual games, especially Match-3 games and hidden object games.

I hate these games because they are usually very lazy, uninspired and derivative, not because they are vacant. Coming up with an effectively addicting vacant design takes real thought, and the games have some kind of elusive but real value. And some of my all-time favourites have this quality... like tetris or lumines, for example.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 10:56:31 AM by Benzido » Logged
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: November 22, 2008, 10:57:08 AM »

KOTOR
Way too linear and only 3 classes? I didn't like it so much  Cry
Come on, you can't complain about the number of classes. They ran the gamut of archetypes, anything more and they'd have to adapt the whole game to it.

Way too linear thing is a righteous complaint, though, but the game is still way better than Oblivion :D.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 22, 2008, 11:42:26 AM »

I really liked Kotor from what I played of it (the PC version is buggy as hell and I promptly got rid of it). I would consider getting it again if not for the fact that Mass Effect seems pretty much like the same thing sans Star Wars theme and turn-based combat.

On a slightly related note, I hope Dragon Age: Origins is as good as it looks. I think it is about time for a Baldur's Gate style game again...

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: November 22, 2008, 11:49:47 AM »

I think it is about time for a Baldur's Gate style game again...
I miss the infinity engine Cry

That being said: Watching Dragon Age trailers now... WHY DO THEY TRY TO GIVE EVERYONE VOICE ACTING Sad.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 11:58:10 AM by Inane » Logged

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 22, 2008, 12:00:44 PM »

I think it is about time for a Baldur's Gate style game again...
I miss the infinity engine Cry

Here you go:

That being said: Watching Dragon Age trailers now... WHY DO THEY TRY TO GIVE EVERYONE VOICE ACTING Sad.

Actually, I think that the voice acting is pretty good, what I have seen of it that is. It's definitely better then Oblivion's that's for sure.

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: November 22, 2008, 12:05:05 PM »

Well I meant more from a design POV, with voice acting it's much harder to implement new characters so you end up with a bunch of useless people who say the exact same thing. More than in an oldschool RPG. Couldn't they use modern resources to make MORE unique and interesting characters rather than add in something that only benefits the game at a greater cost (including more monetary and time cost in addition to the cookie-cutter NPCs)?
Who knows, though, maybe it's only important characters that they decided to put in the trailer that have voice acting.

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 22, 2008, 12:08:55 PM »

Who knows, though, maybe it's only important characters that they decided to put in the trailer that have voice acting.

Perhaps. However, I would rather then do either or. To only have some characters with voices would be kind of jarring. I would like to see a developer actually spend some time making unique voices for all of the characters. I don't see why they couldn't. I mean, yeah, you might have to cut back and get some lesser known talent but I say fuck Patric Stewart or Liam Nieson or whoever and just have a bunch of no-name voice talent to flesh out the cast.

Lucaz
Level 6

Indier than thou

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: November 22, 2008, 01:00:56 PM »

Giving only some characters voice acting may work. It worked nicely in Fallout 1 and 2, but it wouldn't in Fallout 3, Oblivion, or anything with similar perspective and interface. Zooming a face that moves it's lips but has no voice would be awkward.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic