Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411658 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58451 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 15, 2024, 11:25:45 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Easy way to line up sprites in a spritesheet?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Easy way to line up sprites in a spritesheet?  (Read 2145 times)
Brice
Level 0

Games are everywhere.

View Profile WWW
« on: January 27, 2011, 04:13:42 PM »

I'm currently using Graphics Gale to do some retro-style sprites, and I wanted to see: does anyone have any techniques (using this program or another) for easily making sure sprites are lined up correctly?

You never want to have your sprite bouncing around by 1 or 2 pixels, but it's difficult to get it lined up perfectly.

Still a beginner in Gale so I wouldn't be surprised if there was some feature in there to do it.

Thanks!

[Update: Hold your horses everyone: I just discovered "Frames" in Gale.  Exploring...]

JoGribbs
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 04:17:27 PM »

The box selection cursor in Gale has lines going vertical and horizontal. Use those to check how sprites are aligned.
Konidias
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 04:47:49 PM »

Also onion skin helps you to line things up and also helps you to animate from a base.

Brice
Level 0

Games are everywhere.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 04:49:17 PM »

I've been trying to figure out what that does...any tips?  Shrug

JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 08:01:28 PM »

i always just make a giant checkerboard pattern.

Conker534
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 08:31:23 PM »

I use Game Makers sprite editor to do all my stuff. VERY helpful, imo.
Konidias
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 12:21:42 AM »

I've been trying to figure out what that does...any tips?  Shrug
Say you have one frame which is a character idle animation.... You make a new frame, set both frames to have transparency enabled (click the "..." next to the frame and check Transparent), and then you go up to the Onion Skin icon (neon green icon near the magnifier icon) click that and you can click the arrow next to it to choose what frame to use as the onion skin.

So once you turn this on, you can work on your blank frame while seeing an overlay of your previous or next frame. It lets you trace over your previous frame to make the next one. Super useful when animating inbetweens and even key poses.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic