Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411595 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: YomiKu_0

May 07, 2024, 07:43:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioOnline music school questions.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Online music school questions.  (Read 1167 times)
KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« on: June 02, 2010, 10:33:20 AM »

So, I was thinking about maybe enrolling in an online music school, like Berklee's or what not. I'm just wondering if this would be worth it, if i could get some info from the people who have gone to music school, that'd be awesome. :D

I'd like to actually go to a school in person, but I have other commitments like my faincee and a substantial debt to take into consideration. But I definitely want to take my music to the next level.

cataclysmos
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 11:30:36 AM »

Hey! I go to Berklee, so I can help you out! :D

Taking online courses from Berklee depends on what kind of person you are in terms of how you learn/work/etc.  I know that a lot of the material that is offered online is definitely not as good as the classes offered on campus, but they ARE a lot cheaper.  I know they offer a lot of courses like Harmony (music theory) and Ear Training, etc., but for me, I need to have a teacher there to show examples, because that stuff can get confusing at times.  And plus, they don't offer enough majors online... They don't have about half the majors, especially the cool ones like Film Scoring, Synth (now it's called Electronic Production and Design, which is really beneficial for video game composers), composition, etc.  Plus, I think you'd have to buy programs yourself, which is pricey, and Berklee offers discounts on things like Logic, Digital Perfomer, Reason, Kontakt, etc. I saw they offer classes online about Music Production, but I don't know how that would be good without an actual studio in front of you..

But yeah, I understand about the debt issue; Berklee is a money pit and I am drowning in student loans.  They do offer scholarships, but usually just to students who really emphasize a career in jazz.  But if you want to take the chance and apply, the networking they offer is crazy.  (i.e. They paid for me to go to GDC with an all access pass, plane tickets, and paid for a hotel and food.)  There are some crazy teachers there who have done so much and can also help you. 

Are you from Massachusetts?  I'm just curious as to how much of a move you'd have to make if you did decide to go there!  And also, what's your instrument(s)?

I can give you more information if you want!

Take care!

Jamie

KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 03:29:17 PM »

Yeah, my debt is student debt, it's debt from living in a city too expensive for my job. >>;

I'd love to actually go to school there, but I don't know if I could go with my fiancée. I could probably get away with a quarter year course/degree or something. Buying a program is not such a bad thing as I'd probably end up buying one of them anyway.

I'm actually from Manitoba Canada. So, a lot. I just get the feeling that doing it online would just be a waste of time/money. :/

Also my instrument is the guitar, but I'm learning piano/keyboard for the necessity to use midi controllers. I do know how to play bass decently, and a little banjo, mandolin, ocarina, various flutes, drums etc. I'd love to take up violin one of these days. Planning on buying one in the near future.

Most of what I learned from Guitar is from playing in rock/punk/metal bands, so I have some pretty heavy tastes. I'd love to expand my knowledge of song-writing too, I've made some really awesome songs with certain chord progressions using arpeggio-ed chords.

The biggest reason I'd want to go to school though is probably for music production, as my weakest link is the DAW's that I use. And since I'm a guitarist, it's a really pain to make something up on the guitar, transcribe it, and then make it in a DAW. I use my guitar for just about all of my composing.

Enough about me anyway, what courses are you taking in Berklee and what's your instrument? Worked on the music for any games?

cataclysmos
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 07:42:09 PM »

I definitely hear you there. Money is tough, but in terms of networking, Berklee is really great for that reason mostly.  In terms of bringing your fiancee and city expenses, there are so many places outside of Boston that are about a 30 minute subway ride into the city that are really cheap.  That's just something to consider!  I think it would be a waste of money to do it online, just because Berklee is all about the actual experience.  But yeah, if going there doesn't work out now, you have the rest of your life ahead of you!  I mean, I'm kind of a risk taker, just because music is definitely a risky career, but I know I'd regret it if I just went to school elsewhere.  There are people at Berklee who are older than 40 years old, so it's really not JUST a youth-oriented place. :D  I heard there was some guy who did a summer semester (12 weeks) once a year every year for eight years and got his degree just like that!  It would be a slow process, but the summer semesters are a bit cheaper and they are a few weeks shorter! :D

Cool cool!  You play a lot!  I know what you mean about transcribing with guitar/metal bands; that's how I originally started writing music, and as you progress as a writer, it gets to be so easy to write things out really fast.  :D  Do you have any programs you use on your computer now for music?

For the all semester, the classes I'll be taking are:
Techniques of Tonal Writing, Instrumentation & Score Preparation, Conducting, Advanced Counterpoint, Studio Technologies, Modular Functions/Signal Flow, Ear Training 4, Harmony 4, and MIDI Wind Controllers.  Lots of stuff; it's gonna be a crazy semester, hahaha!  I play flute and guitar (in school, my primary is flute, but outside, it's guitar, hahaha)!  The only music I've written so far is for SharkArm Studio's "Grand Feather"!  :D It's still in the making and I'm working on a few songs right now, and it'll be done sometime this summer! ^^   If you wanna check out my music, I have some in my website (www.jamiebillings.com)! 

Let me know if you have any more questions! :D

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic