Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411641 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58449 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 12:41:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsRequest a pass/donate a pass thread
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Request a pass/donate a pass thread  (Read 1342 times)
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« on: January 31, 2011, 09:32:09 PM »

Hello friends! I was just wondering if anyone would be gracious enough to hook me up with a [expo] pass to GDC this year? The past three years I've been lucky enough to get a free guest pass one way or another and I'm wondering if that will be the case this year. I don't really use it for much else besides migrating to the IGF stands and meeting up with you lot! And of course, I'd love to see you guys... So perhaps in this thread we can try to make those less fortunate find their way to GDC for the fun and festivities?

Beer!

IQpierce
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 07:52:56 AM »

If anyone is willing to donate a pass, I'm definitely interested in getting one.

In a way you might say I need one less, since I am probably closer to being able to afford one than most indies - I've been a professional game developer for over 7 years, I know tons of people in the industry...

On the other hand, I've been in the industry for 7 years and have NEVER ONCE BEEN TO GDC AAARRRRGH. No employer would ever send me, not even Blizzard - and they're much closer to SF than any of my other employers (I'm in Texas). Super frustrating.

And here's how badly I want to attend a GDC: after GDC 10, I sprung for an account on the GDC Vault, found a way to download all of the mp3 audio tracks of the talks, downloaded over 130 talks (it took me more than, like, 4 hours to pick out all of the talks I wanted and download the MP3s)... and I listened to them all within like 4 months. (I'm a programmer/designer with interest in AI and entrepreneurship and I'm trying to go indie, so yeaaah a lot of the talks were interesting to me...)

Anyway, those passes are frickin expensive and I just can't find it in the budget this year - ironically, going indie has made it more important than ever to go to GDC, but made it harder than ever to afford, as well.

So I don't know if I'm the most needy, but I definitely feel like I'd get as much out of it as anyone else. I also haven't met many other indies in person and would love to finally meet people and feel more like part of the community.

One guy trying to make some interesting decisions.
Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 01:18:41 PM »

GDC is amazing and will fill you with warm fuzzies.

I have... redirected small amounts of student aid towards the $1000 or so it costs to go.  Twice now.

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic