Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411641 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58449 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 03:16:27 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsGDC 2011 sessions you're looking forward to
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: GDC 2011 sessions you're looking forward to  (Read 1911 times)
supershigi
Level 7

No Yoshi is an Island

View Profile WWW
« on: February 06, 2011, 01:44:00 PM »

What GDC 2011 sessions are you looking forward to? 

Here are a few of mine:

-I was super excited when I saw that they were doing a retro game series, and that Maniac Mansion was one of them.  I love that game, and I was always curious to know what the developers were thinking when they came up with it... the tentacles, the poor hamster, etc.  I'd also like to check out the Pacman and Doom talks in the same series.
-Our friend Stone is giving a talk called "15 Games in 15 Years" which is about how he made a board game for his two sons every Christmas for 15 years. 
-Derek and Andy's Xbla Spelunky talk
-The "Failure Workshop"
-Remaking a Classic: The Game Design of Starcraft II
-Hmm... I had more, but apparently the schedule I spent an hour putting together at the gdc website didn't save >_<

Things I'm not looking forward to:

-The mountain of talks related to how much the Facebook market is growing, and how to use metrics to design games  Apoplectic

Laura Shigihara | Composer and Game Designer
Facebook | Youtube | Twitter
ExciteMike
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 04:11:59 PM »

Honestly I am so much more excited about the meet-ups that I haven't even looked at the talks Smiley

Oh but I did hear Chris Crawford is giving one. That I really want to see!

But yeah if it's like last year, you'll want to steer clear of anything with "monetize", "facebook", or "social" in the title.

*looks at GDC schedule*
Oh Jesus there is a whole Monetization category
*vomits*

Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 04:27:05 PM »

And it's sponsored.  :\

I steer clear of "mobile" too, myself.

In fact, I just slam myself into the indie summit and bathe in the love.

I am looking forward to the love-bathing.  Smiley

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
umezono
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 04:46:04 PM »

I, for one, can't wait for a thrilling seminar on facebook marketing. I'm even bringing my PDA and calculator.  Cool
supershigi
Level 7

No Yoshi is an Island

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 04:54:05 PM »

I, for one, can't wait for a thrilling seminar on facebook marketing. I'm even bringing my PDA and calculator.  Cool

Hahaha Tongue

lynx_
Level 0

:)

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 05:53:06 PM »

Yeah, the GDC website ate my schedule too Tongue

I'm a life-long Nintendo fan, so I'm psyched for the keynote.  A couple of the business and law sessions like the 1-Hour Video Game MBA and Starting a New Dev Studio sound cool to me.  Would also like to make it to the DKC Returns panel.

Are there any panels any of you have been to in the past that were really great (or speakers who are worth hearing, whatever they're talking about)? 
ExciteMike
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 06:43:34 PM »

I actually looked over the schedule now.  I'm thinking these ones in particular look great:

tylerthedesigner
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 01:08:16 AM »

Pretty much every one of the Classic Postmortems for me. The Rapid-fire indies. Lessons from Indie Fund. The meaty postmortem. And of course, all of the rants. Those are always winners.
supershigi
Level 7

No Yoshi is an Island

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 01:24:28 PM »

Quote from: lynx_
Are there any panels any of you have been to in the past that were really great (or speakers who are worth hearing, whatever they're talking about)?
I'm sure everyone will tell you this, but Will Wright is a very entertaining speaker... if you get the chance I'd check his talks out, even if they aren't particularly relevant to what you do (just because they're a lot of fun).  Besides that, the great game design challenge is usually awesome (provided that it's still going on).  One year, Alexey Pajitnov (creator of Tetris) designed a game for it that involved riding on dolphins and shooting paintball guns under the ocean, to give you an idea of how crazy and random it is...

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic