Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411593 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: FightingFoxGame

May 07, 2024, 11:28:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Rise of Dagon : A Classic Dungeon Crawl RPG
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
Print
Author Topic: The Rise of Dagon : A Classic Dungeon Crawl RPG  (Read 34241 times)
io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: May 30, 2016, 01:16:38 PM »

I haven't released a game on Steam so I don't know exactly what kind of tools there are for handling comments or who can even comment.  I've read that for games that are released, only people who bought the game can write a review.  I've also read that some developers deleted comments from their games' forum (likely during EA) so I guess it's possible remove certain threads that don't "fit" for one reason or another. 

My guess would be that mainly the target audience people will stick around and especially buy the EA game and the issues tend to arise when some people prefer certain features/aspects to be different than other people.  Then you have to decide on the direction you want to take.  There were games where the issues were minor but there were other games that split people.  Especially when a small but vocal minority wanted the game to be really hard and that ruined it for the *mostly* silent majority.  Hopefully, you'll receive enough feedback and that won't be the case.

Perhaps there are some forums or other places where you could find people who like classic RPG.  That way you could gather pre-Greenlight support and if you have a demo they might be able to give feedback.

erebusman
Level 2

no one of consequence

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: May 30, 2016, 03:08:06 PM »

Yeah I also do not have a title on steam - I have iOS and Android apps, and had a game on Wildtangent for 3 years (they finally took it down as sales were getting pretty low).

Interestingly enough on Wildtangent my game was rated I think 4.5 or 4.8 out of 5 stars by something like about 95 people? I was kind of surprised as the game was super simple.  A few people even down voted me for the simplicity but apparently enough people liked it that it did well for a while.

For me though - no matter what the steam tools are - the first step is going in prepared for dealing with EA content for your customers. No developer in todays environment should be surprised to find that players want content even in EA!

Infernohawke Entertainment
Kyle Preston
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: May 30, 2016, 10:19:01 PM »

I apologize if you've already answered this, is this your full-time project? If not, kudos if you kept a day job while managing to get all of this work done man. Your project definitely makes me feel nostalgic for the classic rpgs so many of us loved playing back in the day. Can't wait to play a demo  Smiley

erebusman
Level 2

no one of consequence

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: May 31, 2016, 05:27:22 AM »

Hey Kyle!

I've probably mentioned on my blog but I certainly don't belabour it ; but I am in fact holding down a regular day job in addition to being married with a child(they demand time too). 

So yes I have done all this on a part-time or less basis.

I'm super glad to hear this project inspires some nostalgia for classic dungeon crawlers, thank you that's a big compliment!

As you can imagine getting that feeling right is critically important to appeal to the niche of gamers who love this style of game - so hearing people call it out from time to time is a nice affirmation that things are going in the right direction.

I apologize if you've already answered this, is this your full-time project? If not, kudos if you kept a day job while managing to get all of this work done man. Your project definitely makes me feel nostalgic for the classic rpgs so many of us loved playing back in the day. Can't wait to play a demo  Smiley

Infernohawke Entertainment
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic