Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411605 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 04:45:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsWeapons of Mass Blockstruction
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Weapons of Mass Blockstruction  (Read 4121 times)
Pixelulsar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« on: May 16, 2013, 12:18:19 PM »

Videos
Basic Engine -

Spikes and Explosives -

Virus and Electricity - http://youtu.be/YotrnwYFkh8

Description
I make a bunch of shorter games but I never make devlogs for them, but when I'm half way done them I think I should of, so I'm going to make one for this one.  Weapons of Mass Blockstruction is a block based puzzle game that will be hectic and feature rockets, lasers, killer viruses, and plenty of other weapons of mass destruction.  There will be that colour matching stuff that's in all of these games, but it won't be the main focus.  So basically, this will be like a kind of crazy Tetris thing.

This is the original mockup that I made for the game.  I the game will probably look like this when I'm done. Some people have said that some stuff looks like it has no purpose and I'm gonna be honest even I don't totally know what everything is going to do, but believe me, everything will have a purpose in the game.
Some day

Original Progress
Right now I've only got the basics done.  There are only blocks that fall and they align nicely in columns.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 09:42:00 AM by Pixelulsar » Logged

Pixelulsar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 01:08:31 PM »

Made it so blocks will disappear when they are beside others that are the same colour.  Ground-breaking stuff.  My first attempt to do it using collisions failed spectacularly, so I redid it with arrays.  Now it works well, time to add cooler stuff.

ScaryPotato
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 02:17:11 PM »

Tetris is one of my all-time faves...add rockets and lasers and you've got a winner in my books Smiley

Geoffrey
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 03:44:20 PM »

Tetris is one of my all-time faves...add rockets and lasers and you've got a winner in my books Smiley

I couldn't have expressed my thoughts as well !
Seems fun !

Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 05:48:45 PM »

Yea, but when can I have it?

Pixelulsar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 12:23:49 PM »

I made it so blocks now come down in groups of 4 that can be rotated.  It's working fine, the only problem is that it added in a bunch of glitches that I need to fix now, so new cooler stuff might still be a while off.

Here is a gif of it, just cause.

Edit: I think I fixed all the glitches with placing the blocks!  While doing that I found out my colour matching system is a lot more buggy than I thought.  Need to fix that now too.

Edit 2: I think I fixed the bugs with the colour matching system too.  I'm on a role today.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 06:00:11 PM by Pixelulsar » Logged

Pixelulsar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 04:02:58 PM »

I added in a kind of anti-Tetris mechanic. Filling in the whole bottom row is bad.  It will make the bottom row get destroyed, but it will be replaced by an unbreakable screw/piston thing that will rise from the floor.  You won't even get score for the row that gets destroyed. I'm hoping this will make the player not only avoid expanding their tower up, but also out.  I also fixed a bunch more bugs with colour matching and block placing

A screenshot with those screw/piston things.  They are taking up half the screen, but I don't think that they will be able to get that high without the player dying in game.

Pixelulsar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 04:29:40 PM »

Added in a button that speeds up the block dropping, it makes the game play much faster and much less boring at the start.  Also more bugs are fixes of course.

Sorry for the two posts a few minutes apart, I wanted to edit the last post to add this on but I accidentally added in a new post... Shrug

ScaryPotato
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 09:40:19 AM »

Those pistons of punishment seem like a cool, albeit very harsh mechanic! Will there be a way for the player to reverse them at all?

I'm curious about the gameplay of this. It seems like the goal is for the player to keep as small a section of blocks as possible, is that right? It will be very interesting to see how all these features come together in the game!

Pixelulsar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 12:58:11 PM »

For the few days I've mostly been doing bug fixes on the the block matching system, and not much else.  I wanted to make the game perfectly glitch free before I started to add new things.  There are still some glitches, though not nearly as many as a few days ago, but I feel like I'm never going get anything done if I wait until everything is perfect, so I'm going to start adding new stuff now, I can always fix the glitches later.  I hope I don't regret this later.

sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 01:02:36 PM »

The piston thing is pretty clever, glad it'll be something more than just a Tetris/match-3 game with fancy graphics. Got a bit of a Squarez vibe from the first shot.
Pixelulsar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2013, 04:43:10 PM »

I made a

of everything I've done so far, just cause.  It's basically block matching and pistons for 3 minutes. 

Pixelulsar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 12:04:59 PM »

Only added spikes today.  They destroy some blocks that fall on top of them, but other blocks break the spikes without getting damaged.  Here is what the spikes look like:

Pixel 30Pixel 30Pixel 30Pixel 30Pixel 30Pixel 30Pixel 30Pixel 30Pixel 30
Pixel 30Pixel 30Pixel 38Pixel 30Pixel 30Pixel 30Pixel 38Pixel 30Pixel 30
Pixel 30Pixel 38Pixel 38Pixel 18Pixel 30Pixel 38Pixel 38Pixel 18Pixel 30
Pixel 30Pixel 38Pixel 38Pixel 18Pixel 30Pixel 38Pixel 38Pixel 18Pixel 30
Pixel 30Pixel 38Pixel 18Pixel 18Pixel 30Pixel 38Pixel 18Pixel 18Pixel 30
Pixel 18Pixel 00Pixel 00Pixel 00Pixel 00Pixel 00Pixel 00Pixel 00Pixel 18
Pixel 00Pixel 08Pixel 08Pixel 08Pixel 08Pixel 08Pixel 08Pixel 08Pixel 00
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 12:22:47 PM by Pixelulsar » Logged

ScaryPotato
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2013, 07:47:06 PM »

Looks like it plays smooth so far. You've got blocks that don't disappear right now, I'm assuming the spikes (or some other special block) gets rid of those. Keep up the good work! Grin

Pixelulsar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 12:53:40 PM »

I added bombs!  There are three different colours of bombs: red, green and blue.  The bombs don't do anything when they are by themselves, but when they are beside a bomb that is the same colour they will explode.  The explosion will destroy all types of blocks and each bomb will make a 3 by 3 explosion around it.  It may seem a bit overpowed, but bombs will be rare so they don't get overused, but strong enough that people who leave them open will be rewarded.

Looks like it plays smooth so far. You've got blocks that don't disappear right now, I'm assuming the spikes (or some other special block) gets rid of those. Keep up the good work! Grin

Spikes get crushed by the stone blocks, so the only way to break them now is with bombs.  There will be other ways though.

Pixelulsar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2013, 05:20:59 PM »

I put nukes in the game.  They are really strong(obviously), they take out the whole column and row of blocks where they land.  Nukes will either be extremely rare, or only come after you do something special, like maybe matching a certain number of blocks.

Pixelulsar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2013, 01:08:54 PM »

I made a

showing off the spikes and different types of explosives.  I also added in a proper system that chooses the blocks based on their rarity so some blocks, like bombs and nukes, are much rarer than other types.  This obviously isn't shown in the video because if it was you wouldn't see many bombs and it would be boring.

sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2013, 07:44:53 PM »

Just a thought - maybe explosives could be based on some kind of chain reactions, like destroying all connected blocks of the same color? It might add more dynamics to block destruction.
Pixelulsar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2013, 11:37:56 AM »

I added in something that tells you the number of blocks you've destroyed, which functions as your score.  Also made a thing that shows what the next set of blocks you're going to get is.

Just a thought - maybe explosives could be based on some kind of chain reactions, like destroying all connected blocks of the same color? It might add more dynamics to block destruction.
Sounds like a good idea, I'll try and think of a way to make them chain but not be too overpowered.  I don't want to make them only destroy blocks that are the same colour, because one of their main purposes is to destroy the stone blocks that don't get destroyed from anything else yet.

Pixelulsar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2013, 08:25:45 AM »

Made virus blocks.  They spread to all coloured blocks beside them once every 30 seconds.  They're pretty bad for you because they turn blocks that are usually easy to get rid if into blocks that need to be blown up.  The best thing to do would be to keep them separate from everything else.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic