Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411595 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 08:01:42 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSix O'Clock High (just an old plane game)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Six O'Clock High (just an old plane game)  (Read 3675 times)
ColePowered
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: June 07, 2013, 10:19:48 AM »

Hello everybody!

This is my first dev log here, and it's for a small/medium project I've been working on for the last month. It's a 2D aircraft shooter called Six O'Clock High, and here it is (so far) in action!

Gameplay

So you should be able to get the jist of it from those gifs. It's an arcade-y action packed kinda game. I wanted to make something super simple and easy to play, and in theory that was also going to be super easy to make. That part was only kinda true. But I've been working on it a lot, and there's actually not a lot left to do. Smiley

The gameplay is survival/wave-based. After each wave you get an upgrade point which you can spend on a variety of 14 different upgrades/perks for your aircraft. These range from rockets to perks such as an increased % chance that enemy bullets will ricochet off your armour. Once spent, the perk will be persistent for the rest of your survival run.

Controls

I'm designing this with touch screens in mind. One thing I definitely wanted to avoid was on-screen buttons. I've never found them appealing as a control mechanic, as it always feels like I am playing something that would work better on a controller which bugs me. So for this I had to come up with a control scheme that made sense without traditional controls.

What I came up with was a system that  turns the plane around your touch relative to the aircraft's position. To turn upwards simply touch above the plane, or down below the plane. While this scheme takes a little getting used to, it soon feels quite natural to me. I hope others will find it easy and accessible too.  Another thing to note is that there isn't a fire button- your forward guns will fire if there is an enemy infront of you, and your gunner will fire if there's an enemy within their field of view. I didn't want to have to make the player fiddle around with fire triggers, in this game it's all about the flying.

I'm planning to release on PC & XBLIG too, so I'll change controls to something more suitable for those releases. The current touch-oriented controls actually translate really well to mouse control.

Graphics

I'm going with something new here. Specifically a painted/pixel art combination. I love the look of pixel art, but I've always enjoyed creating art in a painterly style much more, so here I'm attempting to walk the line. It's mostly painted with some lumps of pixel art mashed in.

The game is all 2D (I'm using Multimedia Fusion 2) but the aircraft were created in 3D so I could get those barrel roles going!

TaDa!
Anyways, I'll post more on this as I go. Aiming for release at the end of the month. There's some still screenshots over at my website.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 04:06:47 AM by Colej_uk » Logged

Detective Immersive Sim Shadows of Doubt | City deck building puzzle game Concrete Jungle
@ColeJefferies
Tom Felshmoon
Level 0

Unicorn Rider

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 11:25:04 AM »

Looks like one old flash-game "Dogfight".. uh, I forgot the title.

ZASkaggs
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 01:44:17 PM »

It certainly looks exciting. The graphics come off well too.

ColePowered
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 01:55:20 PM »

Thanks all, I'm glad you enjoy the graphics. I'll try my best to keep this devlog updated properly until release...

Detective Immersive Sim Shadows of Doubt | City deck building puzzle game Concrete Jungle
@ColeJefferies
eviltaco
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 02:38:03 PM »

OMG! so cool looking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ColePowered
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 03:42:17 AM »

So it makes sense to also post some stills here so you can get a better look Smiley

I've also been working on some menu/splash screen/promo art this week. I'll post that soon too Smiley

@ColeJefferies
i-kari
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 05:19:59 AM »

I'm designing this with touch screens in mind. One thing I definitely wanted to avoid was on-screen buttons.

You think like I do, sir. Gentleman

First thing that came to mind after reading the thread title: a tongue-in-cheek game related to drugs.

ColePowered
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 06:05:25 AM »

Haha, yeah a game about the munchies Tongue

@ColeJefferies
Greg Game Man
Level 5

i have to return some videotapes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 06:15:31 AM »

Damn, love that pixel distortion on the painted art. Could you share the technique? (pixelate filters/overlays?)

ColePowered
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 08:49:42 AM »

The style came about through some experimentation. Underneath it all is an actual digitally painted image.

Then I put a pixellated version of that image on top of it ('mosaic' in photoshop). I tried to change it up a bit by having different layers of different resolutions then erase-airbrush out parts to create some variation. It didn't look too great just like that- like a compressed video file or something.

So on top of that I've got another few layers with some squares (or fake pixels I guess) but in different sizes. I've applied a very subtle gradient to these layers. In some of them I've made it fade out towards the end of the gradient.

Then some additional layers for some subtle colour effects.

I like to play around and add to my artwork in lots of different layers as I like to try out different blending modes on them and build my image up that way.

I think I will do another pass over the graphics before release. I'm pretty happy with the sky/clouds though. The danger as I mentioned is having it look like a compressed video file!

The planes are a bit different, as they are basic 3D models which were rendered out. I tried to put a bit of the same style into their texture maps though, and I also used a similar pixellated overlay technique post-render.

@ColeJefferies
jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 09:28:24 AM »

this is looking really great! It is awesome how you have this sort of digital glitchy style, while also being super smooth. Excited to play it!

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 09:42:59 AM »

this looks really nice but sorry the weird pixelation filter just looks bad and distracting
ColePowered
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2013, 02:58:34 AM »

Holy crap I'm terrible at keeping dev logs. I've been working on this a lot, it's taking longer than expected to finish but that's usually the way it goes isn't it?

I've done another pass over a lot of the graphics. The huge pixelation on some of the foreground clouds were bugging me, so I replaced them with more selectively-pixelated graphics. I've also changed the colours again slightly, made everything a touch more yellow/golden/sepia:

But perhaps more importantly I've added zeppelins!

@ColeJefferies
ColePowered
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2013, 05:58:41 AM »

Good afternoon! I've been working hard to finish SOCH this last week. It's practically finished now, I just need to port it to different platforms. The XBLIG version is actually in peer review right now: http://catalog.create.msdn.com/en-US/gamedetails.aspx?catalogEntryId=2ccacf0a-cb1f-4a00-a948-596b38f0bf81&type=1

With the XBLIG version I've actually put in a rudimentary co-op mode where a second player can be gunner. Seemed like the right thing to do there, and it worked out pretty well.

The windows phone version is also done seeing as that also uses XNA. It's running nice and  smooth at a solid 60fps, which is great. I submitted that for review this morning.

Next I'll be focusing on the iOS and Android platforms. I haven't got a OUYA yet but it would be nice to get it on there at some point.

I'm also thinking of just having a PC download for free, seeing as it is just a super simple game.

Anyway, enough talk. Here's a trailer!

@ColeJefferies
ColePowered
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2013, 04:06:22 AM »

Well so much for posting "Aiming for release at the end of the month" in June! But it's finally done now. I'm releasing today on iOS, Android, Windows Phone and XBLIG with a free flash version for people to play on PC also.

Just a recap description; it's a super simple, super fun, action-heavy side on aircraft shooter. It's set in ww1 and has a fairly unique half-painted-half-pixelized art style.

On the mobile versions there is an online high score system where players from iOS, Android and Windows phone can compete for the high score.

It costs around $1 or regional equivalent. There are no ads or in-app purchases.

iTunes store link
Google Play link
Windows Phone link
XBLIG link

The flash version hasn't been put up yet, but it should be up later today. I'll update when that happens!

And just for you guys, have some promo codes:

iOS -
PWMNNEWNPT9Y
4JL39KR4NW64
HM9ALH9NXHPH
YR4JFNAXRK4M
L4YLRH7RHP7X

XBLIG -
HHDDR-PTWJF-RWDBP-3MC2D-HVWD6
BDYQM-J8PTK-C7RCR-2MHVD-M2QVW
V2K7G-8GMHG-H39QV-PH26M-GV7HY
GYHCG-J8C3P-2WKBW-YBPXQ-G3XBQ
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 03:00:12 AM by Colej_uk » Logged

@ColeJefferies
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2013, 07:52:55 AM »

Google play goes to the IOS store!

here is the link:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ColePowered.SOCH
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 09:48:34 AM by Eric McQuiggan » Logged

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
ColePowered
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2013, 02:59:43 AM »

Oops, thanks Eric.

@ColeJefferies
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic