Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411703 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58455 Members - Latest Member: roeyskatt

May 19, 2024, 10:13:07 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRaven's Calling (Dungeon Crawler + Trading Cards)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Raven's Calling (Dungeon Crawler + Trading Cards)  (Read 661 times)
CheapDevotion
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 10, 2013, 06:48:42 AM »

Hey all,
I have been designing a game in my spare time, and I am finally at the point where I have starting writing some code form it.

The game in a mash-up between a dungeon crawler, trading card game, and multiplier arena. My inspiration for this game comes from years and hack and slash games, and the game Phantom Dust for the original Xbox. The player will be able to visit dungeons and other areas to gain experience and new cards, and use these cards to fight arena style with other players.

The first thing I wanted to work on is the player movement. I wanted the game play to be a little faster than a traditional hack and slash, but slower than most arena deathmatch games. It's been pretty tough to find a balance, so I would love for you try out the web player and let me know what you think. Just click on the image to check it out.

As a rule of thumb, I know the community here is very positive and supportive, but I also want you guys to be critical and honest. I have attempted and failed many projects before, so you are not going to hurt my feelings.

Edit: There may be an issue with the link above, so here is the link to the webplayer:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2277550/movement/index.html
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 10:18:41 AM by CheapDevotion » Logged
Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 10:16:37 AM »

The link just leads to the screenshot.

It looks nice enough though.

Check out my amateur blog in Greek or English.
CheapDevotion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 10:17:56 AM »

It's working for me - not sure what the problem is. Here is the link for anyone else that has issues:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2277550/movement/index.html
Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 10:19:29 AM »

My bad, I must have clicked wrong. I like the movement with an analog stick but for those that use the keyboard (or a d-pad?) the transition to the directions is going to be jarring, perhaps you can smooth out how the character behaves to smoothly transition from one direction to the other. It would also improve the stick movement. Well, there's little to critique. I expected a point & click hack and slash game though, which I was going to say I'm getting tired of unless you have some special concepts to base it on, so I'm glad it isn't. What do you imagine it being? Zelda like? Or perhaps something like the console Baldur's Gate games?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 10:28:06 AM by Games Inquirer » Logged

Check out my amateur blog in Greek or English.
CheapDevotion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 11:06:19 AM »

@Games Inquirer - thanks for the feedback. I intend for the game to be played with a gamepad on desktops  and probably point and click or similar on tablets (unless I can make a virtual joystick that doesn't suck... I doubt it). I was going for something similar to the Baldur's Gate console games, or maybe even something like the newer Gauntlet arcade games. The biggest difference here is that battles will be tougher, and you won't be mowing through hordes of enemies like some kind of god.

My next goal is to get basic enemy AI and some very basic attack cards done. Once that is complete, I will post another demo (this is my first playable prototype goal), and maybe some design/story elements as well.

Thanks!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic