Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411589 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 11:40:07 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Rain World
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 367
Print
Author Topic: Project Rain World  (Read 1450198 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #4520 on: August 24, 2015, 01:05:58 PM »

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4521 on: August 24, 2015, 01:11:41 PM »

I have managed to get something together that works theoretically. In practice though, it's not perfect yet - sometimes the "sweep" the rope does for corners will miss a corner, and the rope can only create one new bend point in a frame, as well as some other problems. The theory should be sound though, so if I work with it some more I imagine this solution should work.

Isn't that "just" a classic

, limited to the area of the sweep? (so the area covered in the triangle of the old-to-new rope position).

Mind you, I've never programmed this algorithm myself, only learned about it in theory.
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4522 on: August 25, 2015, 05:27:22 AM »

new kickstarter update! this one actually has a lot of stuff the devlog hasn't seen yet:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rain-world/project-rain-world/posts/1333057

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4523 on: August 25, 2015, 05:32:46 AM »

Quick question: is the raindeer hide final? Just seems odd to me that entire body, even the antlers, is black.

new kickstarter update! this one actually has a lot of stuff the devlog hasn't seen yet:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rain-world/project-rain-world/posts/1333057
Shocked  Shocked  Shocked

Tears of Joy  Tears of Joy  Tears of Joy

Btw, saw on Steam that the release timeframe was pushed to 2016
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 05:44:20 AM by Christian » Logged

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4524 on: August 25, 2015, 05:51:38 AM »

Btw, saw on Steam that the release timeframe was pushed to 2016

nah thats a typo, it should actually say 2106

coah
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4525 on: August 25, 2015, 06:15:43 AM »

Jesus christ! It's so fucking quality, hot damn.
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4526 on: August 25, 2015, 06:42:35 AM »

nah thats a typo, it should actually say 2106
I knew something was off
FNKVSSL
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4527 on: August 25, 2015, 07:49:53 AM »

I guess it was the similarity to Another World that made me think this game wouldn't have music. Good choice, great sound.

Also seems like as good a time as any to say that this is the coolest thing to ever come out of the scene for me. I'm not so easily taken with lo-fi aesthetics, but the atmosphere, density of hard industrial detail, novel flora and fauna design, judicious use of color and alien iconography just drives me wild. And then every new technical demonstration has enough complexity to drive a whole game on its own! Just give me a challenging game on top of that with no concessions made for accessibility outside of a difficulty setting and I'm sold. Kill Fez, kill Braid, get rich
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 08:05:24 AM by Ossiferous » Logged

Teod
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4528 on: August 25, 2015, 08:59:24 AM »

This is soooo adorable. Is it Del too? Earlier attempts or the latter ones?

Also, I take back everything I thought about Rain Deer eye, in motion it looks more than good enough.
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4529 on: August 25, 2015, 09:16:42 AM »

OMG, the sound effects here are amazing

http://coub.com/view/7tz5k

I really hope it's a creature. It's so alien. Organic and mechanical at the same time

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Teod
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4530 on: August 25, 2015, 09:22:39 AM »

OMG, the sound effects here are amazing

http://coub.com/view/7tz5k

I really hope it's a creature. It's so alien. Organic and mechanical at the same time
I bet the puffs are used to attract the Rain Deer. There should be some way to do that (otherwise it would be way too random to be a reliable transportation method; or there should be a ton of them everywhere in the region, which won't feel right) and Joar already said that smoke is not the primary purpose of the spores.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 09:30:40 AM by Teod » Logged
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4531 on: August 25, 2015, 09:22:16 PM »

Quick question: is the raindeer hide final? Just seems odd to me that entire body, even the antlers, is black.
For now ~ I want to do a bit of color variation on them, but we just had to, had to, had to move on haha! Hopefully I'll get an opportunity to return to them, and for then I do have some ideas.

Update 466

Grappling hook!

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #4532 on: August 25, 2015, 09:33:53 PM »

spider slug, her enemy is the vulture

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4533 on: August 25, 2015, 09:34:32 PM »

Almost had a perfectly looped GIF in the second one

And OMG, a grappling hook! The swinging physics look so good

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4534 on: August 25, 2015, 10:06:26 PM »

every new technical demonstration has enough complexity to drive a whole game on its own!

case in point: spider slug

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4535 on: August 25, 2015, 10:23:56 PM »

The rope script is decently solid, and uncharacteristically clean/self contained compared to the utter mess my code usually is, so if anyone's interested in it I can hit you up with the source.

This version of the script assumes square tiles and only account for 4 types of corners, up/left, up/right, down/right, down/left - but I think it would be possible to adapt it to work with other types of terrain. You'll need to run your own collision code for whatever objects are attached at the ends of the rope, but if that code works and makes sure that the ends are not overlapping terrain when the rope gets its update command it should not clip through any corners or anything.

Working with this I kind of felt the inspiration coming on for some kind of touchscreen puzzle game, but any side projects are like 1200 light years from possible now and for the foreseeable future, so if anyone else is interested I'd be happy to hand it over  Smiley
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4536 on: August 25, 2015, 11:07:51 PM »

JLJac, did you check out the convex hull link I posted earlier? Is your approach similar or something totally different?
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4537 on: August 25, 2015, 11:22:26 PM »

I did check it out! The effect is similar, but I think the algorithmic approach is more different than same. As you see in the gif, my rope thing can wrap several times around the same object, cross itself etc. The convex hull algorithm is about mathematically finding the perimeter of an object - it's a way more "mathematically clean" line. For example they mention that one of the definitions of their line is that every angle is a left turn,  that certainly doesn't go for my line haha!

My approach is less pure maths, more hands on. Whenever a rope segment moves (and it's only the first and the last rope segments that can move) I sweep over the area it covered in its movement and check all the corner points in there. The corner point that is closest to where the segment was before it started to move is picked as the position for a new bend on the rope.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 11:35:47 PM by JLJac » Logged
TheWing
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4538 on: August 26, 2015, 01:27:26 AM »

I hope you'll also add the ability for the rope to have slack.. (seems like it since you've got some tension-stuff there already, so physically it has slack but graphically not yet)

Anyhow, looking awesome as always, I wanna have a slugcat with a grapple-hook so bad now

- - - -
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4539 on: August 26, 2015, 02:29:07 AM »

Ah ok. But I guess I failed to properly communicate the idea I had with the convex hull algorithm. I think we were having the same thing in mind, for hte most part. I've tried to illustrate the idea:

Once a rope is wrapped around a point, it can be considered "static" (assuming you are only going to have rope physics interact with static objects). So, like you've already noticed, you can greatly optimise the rope physics by only checking the last piece of the rope that still swings around freely from the last wrapping point.

My idea was that for that last section, you can compute the result of every sweep between frames using the convex hull algorithm, which is always moving in only one direction during one sweep, automatically giving you the angular direction constraint you mentioned (it might differ between sweeps, but not during one sweep).

Benefits would be the guarantee that you don't miss any corners, even if the "sweep" becomes large because of (say) lag, and the ability to work with complex shapes, like one with a bite taken out of it like above

So I basically had the same thing in mind as what you do, except that this bit:
The corner point that is closest to where the segment was before it started to move is picked as the position for a new bend on the rope.
... is replaced with the convex hull algorithm.

That leaves the question of unwrapping. If it is possible for a sweep to have to both unwrap one point while also wrapping around another new point in the same sweep, things can get tricky. I'll have to think about this more.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 04:44:25 AM by JobLeonard » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 367
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic