Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411539 Posts in 69383 Topics- by 58441 Members - Latest Member: Amit Kumar

May 03, 2024, 12:42:54 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsWeeked Games - a Game-a-Week ripoff
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Weeked Games - a Game-a-Week ripoff  (Read 1459 times)
TRASEVOL_DOG
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: October 16, 2015, 01:16:28 PM »

Hi everyone !

I, TRASEVOL_DOG, shall be presenting to you my completely original and very new project consisting of doing one game each week for a yet undetermined quantity of weeks !! Yea I'm ripping off that game-a-week thing.

For those of you who do not know what game-a-week is, let me explain weeked games to you. During that previously mentioned undetermined quantity of weeks, Every single friday evening (GMT+1), starting this very evening, I will start a new game and every single next friday evening, starting this very next friday evening, I will post the game somewhere - probably itch.io - as PWYW, write a bit about it and start weeking the next game - yea, weeking. You got a problem with that ? In fact I'll write a bit about the game being weeked every now and then.

Where will that happen ? Here on this TigSource thread, but also on my website, on my twitter account (will definitely be the most updated) and as said, the games will be released on Itch.io.

Why would I do this ?
Challenge. Passion. Confidence. Developping my C++ 2D engine 2D4L. You guys.
Also, this project is massively powered by my respect for people like JW, MsMinautor and Davey Wreden's fictionnal Coda plus everyone that makes games for the love of it - which hopefully includes a lot of you !

Anything else ?
Not really. I take advices. I really do. I've been wanted to do this for a while and I am finally committing to it and I'm both very excited and very scared.

Thanks for being on this thread !
Be safe !
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 02:00:03 PM by TRASEVOL_DOG » Logged

TRASEVOL_DOG
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 07:00:06 AM »

First Weeked Game done !
I'm late yea... This was a very bad timing to start all this!
In fact there may not be a weeked game at all next week.
But let's talk about this week's weeked game !

The idea with this challenge of mine was initially to make games with my own engine that would be evolving along. Except that my engine is currently very very bare and barely enough to actually make a game. So instead I made a Twine game for the #BiteSizedHorrorJam !
I came up with a stupid idea and I built upon it and here is the mighty result!

It's a choose-your-own-adventure horror text game based on onomatopoeias. Very experimental too.

I'm interested in your opinion on this one, so please share it - your opinion but the game too if you like it!

Be safe!

TRASEVOL_DOG
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 02:35:23 PM »

This week has seen a new Weeked Game come out! Yay!
Wednesday, I uploaded TETRATON on the official Lexaloffle Pico-8 forums and then on Itch.io.

On this quiet and endless night, the TETRATON will unleash its potential and attempt to survive this technological challenge where it has to change its weapon module the biggest number of times while being attacked by enemy ships!! WILL THE TETRATON MAKE IT TO THE END?!?!
No it will not. The night is endless.

TETRATON is a game where you control an airborne machine that can shoot in all four directions. That's also its only way to propel itself. In order to get points, you have to get colorful balls that swap your weapon with a new one. Enemy ships try to crash into you. The game is in 2D, with a horizontal scrolling that loops and a vertical one that does not loop. It is heavily inspired by LUFTRAUSERS and Super Crate Box, both amazing games by Vlambeer.

And it was made with Pico-8, the fantasy console made by Lexaloffle. For those of you who don't know about Pico-8, you can learn about it here.
The thing is that Pico-8 is deliberately limited. Small memory, small CPU, small color palette, small screen... You get the idea!

Pico-8 tip moment:
One of the biggest problem I had while doing TETRATON was that I wanted the ships and the TETRATON to rotate. Pico-8 does not implement that, so I did it myself with good old trigonometry. But Pico-8 doesn't like trigonometry very much. Especially when you use it 4 times for each of 500 pixels (approximately) each frame. It could bear it but I couldn't add much else. So my idea was to draw everything that rotates somewhere in the memory under 100 different angles. Where was I going to find the memory for that? Well, fortunately, it happens that I did not give a shit about the sprite sheet so I used that. It could only contain the rotations of the enemy ships but it was already much better for the game and now I can have over 50 enemy ships (but nothing else) on the screen and Pico-8 doesn't drop a frame!

In the end, the biggest problems with TETRATON are basically the tininess of the screen and the weird controls I chose as base for the game. On the Pico-8 forums, someone said I could do enemy indicators for those that are not in the screen, and that sounds like a great solution for the screen problem but I'm not doing it because it would be a pain to implement it and also I'm already poking the Pico-8 instruction limit so no.

But earlier today, I uploaded an update! This update featured faster rotation for the TETRATON - with does make the controls feel better - along with the name of the weapon being displayed when you pick a new one, which lets you anticipate the effect of the weapon if you've already had it! The update also changed the color of the text for something a bit brighter and made the weapon pick-ups and the title screen sparkly.

YOU CAN CHECK THE GAME OUT BY CLICKING HERE. YOU PROBABLY SHOULD. COME ON. DO IT.

YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO.

(you can also check out the discussion on the official Lexaloffle forums)

Next up is procjam! Although it started last friday... But hey I still have until monday at 1am! I had a cool idea of a thing for procjam but that would take me a while and I don't have that. So plan B: twitter bot. More precisely, Twitter bots. You'll see.
After that, NaNoGenMo. I don't know what I'll do for that yet.

Take care!
See ya!

TRASEVOL_DOG
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 02:07:32 PM »

Last week-end I wanted to do a thing for procjam before it ends. Then I didn't do it. Then I started making a little tree generator in pico-8 because I wanted too - because I saw

. It didn't work. I tried again and by monday evening I had something. And I tweeted this.

I really was gonna let it at that when I posted this. I had other small ideas for it but I wanted to do NaNoGenMo. But when I came back to Twitter an hour later I saw that this tweet had had more reaction than anything I tweeted before. So I decided to go for my other small ideas. And then I tweaked the parameters of my generator and I used the built-in gif generator of pico-8 to produce this gallery. Also, I asked Michael Cook - the guy behind procjam, for a late procjam submission link as he invited anyone to do on the procjam page. And I'm really happy about all that! The gallery has had a pretty nice success for my scale and that was very nice! Here is a pretty tree that is not in the gallery:

YOU CAN WATCH THE GALLERY HERE!
YOU CAN ALSO GENERATE TREES WITH RANDOM PARAMETERS HERE!

For this coming week, pico8jam is happening! The theme has been announced, it's "rain" and I have absolutely no idea! Hopefully it'll come and I'll do something cool. Also, NaNoGenMo will be coming to its end and I really want to do something for it. Although I have no idea for that either.

Take care!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic