Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411582 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 11:04:44 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallThe Free Indie Project
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: The Free Indie Project  (Read 5297 times)
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2009, 08:24:22 PM »

The only way I can imagine this working is if it was solely done at local non-corporate game stores.  I'd thought about trying something similar at one point, because I'm quite sure that NEXWAVE in Edmonton would be cool with keeping some discs at the counter to let people take.  That store is mostly all-eras/consoles used games, with some new stuff too, and the people that work really like games and are just generally nice; they even told my brother not to buy a game there once, because a newer extended version had came out (Persona 3; they told him to go and buy the FEZ edition elsewhere).

But yeah, I just can't picture any "corporate" store being cool with something like this; it just goes against business practices.

And that's a pity, because it is a really good way to get more people into indie gaming.  Heck, if there was a free disk of games (with cool packaging) at a counter when you were buying games, and it was legit (the person working at the store would be able to confirm the legit-ness of it), then why wouldn't you pick one up?
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2009, 06:17:39 PM »

Question: would convention managers be willing to let people in and give them free space on the showfloor to distribute such a thing? It would be awesome to have a volunteer-run table handing out CD's to people...
deathtotheweird
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2009, 06:35:16 PM »

I know local mom & pop record stores and coffee shops would probably do it. The worst they can say is no. Even if they say no just hassle them, there is nothing they can do about you offering free cd's.

Too many people here have a negative mindset. One of my friends has this attitude that everyone just loves, which I do not understand. Ya know the old saying, he could sell ice to Eskimos, etc.

If anything, just take a couple (not too many) and slap them down on the counter discretely. Then ask the person in charge if they have such and such in stock or something along those lines.
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2009, 09:34:23 PM »

A good way to do this is take the fanzine approach. If you're gonna be amateur and cheap, don't try to hide it, but do the job with heart. Make a black and white cover, hopefully hand-drawn (well) and made to be photocopied. The CD-Rs should be doodled on or something, maybe even stenciled-on in some way if it's too much of a pain to do otherwise, but make sure you don't ruin the discs in this case. Make sure the thing has a personality (unlike most of the shiny, shrink-wrapped AAA game boxes).

It's really easy to make a CD sleeve with a letter/A4 sized sheet of paper. You just put the disc in its center, then fold around it to form a square (following the length of the sheet first), with the disc inside. The flaps that result can be put one into the other to keep it closed, or just put some tape on it. Then just go to some neighborhood music stores, pubs, and whatnot, and ask the guys if you can put your discs there for anyone to take, like any old party flyer.

To make the thing more massive, make a torrent of the CD and a PDF of the cover available to be printed, so that anyone willing can repeat your process in their own home town.

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2009, 10:14:53 PM »

What agj said (agj is awesome).
Instead of having the cover all black and white, you can print something in black on coloured paper. Happy colours for cheap. Looks totally home-made-sexy Well, hello there!

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
tim_the_tam
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2009, 04:18:23 AM »

A good way to do this is take the fanzine approach. If you're gonna be amateur and cheap, don't try to hide it, but do the job with heart. Make a black and white cover, hopefully hand-drawn (well) and made to be photocopied. The CD-Rs should be doodled on or something, maybe even stenciled-on in some way if it's too much of a pain to do otherwise, but make sure you don't ruin the discs in this case. Make sure the thing has a personality (unlike most of the shiny, shrink-wrapped AAA game boxes).

It's really easy to make a CD sleeve with a letter/A4 sized sheet of paper. You just put the disc in its center, then fold around it to form a square (following the length of the sheet first), with the disc inside. The flaps that result can be put one into the other to keep it closed, or just put some tape on it. Then just go to some neighborhood music stores, pubs, and whatnot, and ask the guys if you can put your discs there for anyone to take, like any old party flyer.

To make the thing more massive, make a torrent of the CD and a PDF of the cover available to be printed, so that anyone willing can repeat your process in their own home town.

that actually pretty much the plan. except for those who contact me for distribution will receive some extra material that they can use in distributing to make those copy "special" i guess.

you know the more i think about it i think that the cd could use a really nice cover. and since you, dacke and pgil suggest cheap ways of making covers.. i think ill take lokijki advice and run a competition =]
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 05:50:30 AM by tim_the_tam » Logged

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2009, 04:29:01 PM »

A CD is around 12 cm in diameter, so I suggest you specify the cover as being at least 13 by 13 cm at 300 dpi (5 cm of margin per side), rather than the ambiguous 20 cm you mentioned (which also says nothing about the resolution).

I might submit something if inspiration hits.

tim_the_tam
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2009, 05:55:51 PM »

A CD is around 12 cm in diameter, so I suggest you specify the cover as being at least 13 by 13 cm at 300 dpi (5 cm of margin per side), rather than the ambiguous 20 cm you mentioned (which also says nothing about the resolution).

I might submit something if inspiration hits.

the reason why i set it to 20 by 20 is because i thinking of making mini posters and including them with the "special edition" cds. yeah sorry i should have said it in the competition post.. ill change it now.

tim_the_tam
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2010, 04:48:21 AM »

*update bump*

the first and experimental edition is out!
check the first post for more detail

Oddbob
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2010, 09:27:17 AM »

Just a heads up, typo city on the front cover.

Should be "acclaimed" not "accliamed" and "independent" not "independant"

Can't speak for the rest of the folks but I'd be happy enough for you to include a zip for easy download-age as long as there's a link somewhere out there.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2010, 09:36:55 AM »

should have ran spell checker first  Tongue

Also to make this more professional it should have a fancy autoruns menu, don't ya think?
tim_the_tam
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2010, 06:27:42 PM »

aw geez.. how embarrassing Embarrassed thanks guys. fixing it right away.

@allen i intended to have an autorun menu but as i was making it i found out i had to modify some of the original folders in order to make it happen. and i didnt want that so now its just a simple copy paste from the cd

@robf a zip file was also intended but then i thought itll be much better for the developer if you download it from their website. but if everyone really wants a zip file. ill consider it for the next volume.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic