Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411572 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 10:09:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)show us some of your pixel work
Pages: 1 ... 1561 1562 [1563] 1564 1565 ... 1637
Print
Author Topic: show us some of your pixel work  (Read 7296218 times)
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31240 on: May 25, 2016, 01:08:17 PM »

I used GM's sprite editor for those few containers, but for the armored character earlier I used MS Paint actually

swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #31241 on: May 25, 2016, 03:53:51 PM »

Oh yeah MS paint rocks! Not the version that comes with windows beyond XP though, the old pixel perfect one. I'm not an expert pixel artist but it has all the things you need to do pixel art, at least small stuff. When you start doing big sprites its a bit annoying to use with that.

A dessert mouse cursor theme for Frog Days, made in paint:

chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #31242 on: May 25, 2016, 05:18:37 PM »

youre just making it worse  Corny Laugh
I hope you're kidding. It's not the tool, it's what you can do with it.

I use MSPaint too. And I even have Pyxel Edit. I've just been using MSP for so much longer I know how to get what I want out of it (aside from transparency work obvs) fairly quickly.

Yeah, I make pixel fonts, so MSP is fine, you don't need Photoshop for that. But everything else too, I do in MSP.

chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #31243 on: May 25, 2016, 05:40:02 PM »

im totally kidding, i mean just look at what raku makes, hes proof that its not about the tool

that being said, the tool def can get a job done faster at the same quality
Yeah he's alright I guess Wink

That's true! If I need to change a whole scene's dark color to something else, Pyxel Edit has the masking tool that gets the job in 10 seconds rather than 4 minutes (x25 time). But I don't have time crunches so I usually just keep pushing through MSP.

Shipright
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31244 on: May 25, 2016, 10:50:54 PM »

I use MSPaint for simple line work, but PyxelEdit for everything else. I keep Aesprite around for frame rates, because unless I am missing something you can't alter the rate between frames in PyxelEdit.
6down
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31245 on: May 25, 2016, 11:47:07 PM »

I agree with what people have said about software, though I would say GraphicsGale is plenty usable once you've gotten past the initial learning curve.  The medium in general doesn't allow for the sort of complex visual effects and filters available to high-end software like Photoshop, so the curve isn't too steep, and MSPaint is certainly enough for many pixel pushers.  If you do a lot of animation, having hotkeys set to rapidly swap tools and switch frames can really speed up the process.  Most of the editors mentioned have this capability, and it's the reason I go with GraphicsGale (albeit emulated on Linux through Wine).
Here's some of my work if anyone's interested.
aamatniekss
Level 4

hiya

View Profile
« Reply #31246 on: May 26, 2016, 12:30:28 AM »

Right, you sure can do the same job in MSpaint or GM sprite editor. But do you really have so much time to torture yourself with them? You can do the same thing 5x faster and sometimes even better(tilesets) if you use a tool that was made specifically for it. I dont understand why anyone would do it to themselves to use such featureless and crappy softs like Paint and GM sprite editor. Is it out of spite? Is it just because you're used to the other software? Well, it doesnt really matter, if youre smart about it, better change to something good. The learning curve isnt really that bad, its not like it's photoshop or something.
Graphics Gale free edition has pretty much all the features, except some not as useful stuff like exporting a gif, or ico file, that you can totally live without. And it's usable as hell, key shortcuts, fast workflow, tools to speed up process, everything. Interface is customizable too.
Pyxel Edit which is amazing for tilesets, is just 9$. Now dont tell me you cant afford 9$ for your hobby/passion.
Aseprite is just as amazing as the previous ones for everything and its also super cheap.

Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #31247 on: May 26, 2016, 12:39:47 AM »

Who cares what people use?  If they're happy and can work efficiently with the software they use, and don't want to change, so what?  The end product is all that matters with anything.

aamatniekss
Level 4

hiya

View Profile
« Reply #31248 on: May 26, 2016, 12:46:24 AM »

Who cares what people use?  If they're happy and can work efficiently with the software they use, and don't want to change, so what?  The end product is all that matters with anything.
Yep, that's true. But it's also true, that that person would probably be much more efficient with a better software. Tongue But it's all good, it all depends on everyones preferences.

RujiK
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #31249 on: May 26, 2016, 04:48:50 AM »

Just gonna put in another vote for GM's built in sprite editor. I also use mspaint for quick stuff.

sonder
« Reply #31250 on: May 26, 2016, 06:24:03 AM »

Yeah

Guys, I'm really sorry for starting this.  All of the tools are fine.  I was just ribbing raku.
absolute8
Level 5

WTF, some aggressive nerd... (•̀ω•́)و ̑̑

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31251 on: May 26, 2016, 08:17:01 AM »

Yeah

Guys, I'm really sorry for starting this.  All of the tools are fine.  I was just ribbing raku.

Don't be sorry. Start a separate topic post and go hard on the subject.People clearly find it interesting to discuss.

I want to hear all that passion about GM sprite editor uncensored! Let it all hang out, guy!

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31252 on: May 26, 2016, 09:45:46 AM »

If this will be split, I hope people will make and submit screencasts of their favourite tools Tongue
6down
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31253 on: May 26, 2016, 01:03:53 PM »

...Sorry for starting this.  All of the tools are fine...

Don't be sorry...People clearly find it interesting to discuss.,,

Yeah, I'm quite glad to have happened upon this thread when I did.  I'd actually be interested in seeing the results of a community poll, software preference against skill level/experience, with a "primarily animator?" question attached.

Besides, we can post pixels while discussing.

Here's a little something I made in the last Ludum Dare (theme was "Shapeshift").  
Sloppy and rushed with some stray pixels, frequent side effect of soloing the jam, but the WIPishness will help me make a point about my tool preference:

The colors are bland, I'd planned on animating the palette, so that as the fireplace breathed and flickered, the stretching shadows would blacken and the moonlight would become bluer (the moon brighter and the sky deeper/darker), ebbing the contrast and making the wolf pop a bit more.  I'll explain why I think GIMP's a good choice for speeding up this type of work:

The wall in the back was originally just one color (the tan behind the letters "ER IS TH"). I added the moonlit section by selecting the tan by color[Shift+O], copy-pasting it into a new layer[Ctrl+C,Ctrl+V,Ctrl+Shift+N,click], then cutting out the section I wanted to keep tan [F,draw polygon,Ctrl+X].
A few seconds of hotkeys and mouse clicks, then I'm free to tweak the moonlight through a myriad of colour functions (see fig.B at bottom).

While you don't need more than 2 frames in a game to animate smooth color shifts (a simple alpha tween will do), software like GIMP lets you shift sliders and use blend modes to visualize what you want the animation to look like.
For a coder that knows his hex values, it may be faster to replace vars and re-compile, but for someone who's primarily an artist and wants do palette experimentation or blending effects, I vote GIMP.  

Here's a bit more WIP art from the game that never got the full palette treatment; wolf form gets a "hunger" value that makes the reds more vivid.

"Peter is the Wolf" was shelved, but you can see these GIMPified blending effects animated in my entry to the 2nd Public Domain Jam (skip to 1:06 for the match lighting).

If this will be split, I hope people will make and submit screencasts of their favourite tools...

You got it, man.
Fig A.   Fig B.

Hope this helps someone, and wasn't too off-topic or ranty for this thread.  I don't want to spark a contested convention...or do I?

michael_88
Level 0

hello

View Profile
« Reply #31254 on: May 26, 2016, 07:21:37 PM »

A dessert mouse cursor theme for Frog Days, made in paint:

I want a banana split mouse cursor for literally all the time  Addicted

X P E T S    |    F I L T H Y  B E A R    |    P E S T
swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #31255 on: May 27, 2016, 07:32:17 AM »

You sure can, if you choose! The banana split replaces the typical left/right arrow for looking around, where as that chocolate coated ice cream bar on a stick is the usual mouse pointer. But I'm considering having a player-customized theme where you can mix mouse cursors from all the themes to your liking so you could indeed have a banana split as all the pointers if you wished! But that's a maybe.

Arafuin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31256 on: May 28, 2016, 07:55:55 AM »

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask for advice, but here I go anyway.
I'm trying to get into pixel art and animation, but I'm having a hard time creating a simple frontal walking animation, which is probably the easiest thing to start with.
Any advice? Should I maybe start with a simpeler character?

edit:
I've been trying to create a base model, I still feel like there's a lot of room for improvement...

« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 01:45:54 PM by Arafuin » Logged
Shawny
Level 5

<3

View Profile
« Reply #31257 on: May 28, 2016, 08:53:46 PM »

fanart of space patrol luluco and captain america

vitorlanna
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #31258 on: May 28, 2016, 09:45:52 PM »

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask for advice, but here I go anyway.
I'm trying to get into pixel art and animation, but I'm having a hard time creating a simple frontal walking animation, which is probably the easiest thing to start with.
Any advice? Should I maybe start with a simpeler character?

edit:
I've been trying to create a base model, I still feel like there's a lot of room for improvement...

Actually I think the frontal walking animation looks pretty good! Only thing I've noticed is that the knees don't seem to bend much, but I think that's fine for walking (they should bend more in a running animation).

Here's a platformer mockup I made while procrastinating...
I want to expand on it and change some things later!

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31259 on: May 28, 2016, 10:08:19 PM »

fanart of space patrol luluco and captain america

Ahh wow these are fantastic!

Pages: 1 ... 1561 1562 [1563] 1564 1565 ... 1637
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic